cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Choices For Newcomer

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a Travel Trailer that sleeps 6-8.

Price Limit of 40k give or take a few.

Toyota Tundra Is The Pull Vehicle.

*Pitfalls?

* Which Brands To Avoid?

* Which Options To Avoid?

* Which Options Are A Must Have?

* We (Wife & I) Do Know We Want Master Separated Form The Rest Of The Place.

*Outside Entertainment Would Be Nice.

* I'm Pretty Handy & Don't Mind Cutting Up A Brand New Rig.

* Which Mods Are First?
36 REPLIES 36

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU BODIE

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
VOZ wrote:
Towing capacity is at 10k
I'm trying to stay at a 7k or so dry weight TT.
Should keep me on the right path.

We will be going to look at a few more this weekend.

7k dry advertised will probably be closer to 7500lbs dry, then once you add stuff it'll go up... be safe.

Also, don't get ripped off by the dealer. You should not be paying anything close to advertised or MSRP. There is more room between invoice and MSRP on RV's than cars. Keep this handy http://www.seedealercost.com/recv
2015 Toyota Tundra Limited Crewmax 5.7L
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS, Hensley SwiftArrow

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
Towing capacity is at 10k
I'm trying to stay at a 7k or so dry weight TT.
Should keep me on the right path.

We will be going to look at a few more this weekend.

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
VOZ, the limiting weight factor for my Tundra is gross COMBINED weight rating - the total of the truck plus trailer plus everything else. If I add the weight of my truck plus the total advertised 'tow rating', I'm WAY over my gross combined weight rating. All your various weight limits are on the driver door sticker or owners manual. Some depend on your engine, transmission, 2WD vs 4WD, etc.

With respect to 'which mods first'. My answer is "none". Get your trailer and go camping. Decide after a year of camping what you want to change.
Dave

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
VOZ wrote:
10600 towing capacity, which would make tongue weight 1060 more or less..

Hardly :R ... you'll want at least 13 - 14% of the trailer's gross weight loaded and ready to camp to be represented as gross tongue weight. For example, a trailer weighing just 7000 lbs ready to camp should be running at least 900 lbs of gross tongue weight, even more @ 14%. To that you have to also account for the weight of any passengers and cargo in the truck while you're towing. Believe it, payload capacity of any 1/2 ton truck will be it's limiting factor and you won't be towing any trailer weighing anywhere near 10K lbs with your 1/2 ton truck ... a mistake many newbies make. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
There my be many many models but the box is only so big.

Once you get past the trim and glitter, they are all variations of one another.

Price is the best indicator of quality that I have found, the better units cost a lot lot more.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
MY GOD are the choices mind numbing..

Bodie, From what I have heard, you are correct, buy a used one to see what I like and don't like..

In no rush to get one.. But we do enjoy cold weather camping..

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
If I could rewind time, I'd buy lightly used for my first TT. After your first few trips, you will quickly find things about the floor plan and features you like or don't like, and will probably want to upsize/downsize, or will want a different floor plan after your first year. You'll be wise to keep the dry weight under 7000lbs, anything over will be scary and a burden to pull with the Tundra (I have one too). I strongly suggest upgrading your tank to the 46 gallon transfer flow tank, otherwise you'll be stopping at gas stations every 150 miles or less depending on the grade you're driving on (not kidding).

Grand Design is nice but you'll need to stick with their Imagine series, as the Reflections will be too heavy for the Tundra. Check out Jayco, Starcraft, Forest River, Outdoors RV, Northwoods, and Heartland. I always hear bad things about Keystone quality so steer clear; you've got plenty other choices.

Premium features that aren't standard on all trailers that I like are: solid fiberglass side (not the siding shingle type), slam latch cargo doors, dual pane frameless windows, solid surface counter tops with undermount sinks, 8cu.ft. fridge, convection microwave, thermostats that automatically control furnace and AC, quick disconnect LP lines for bumper mounted Aussie Grill, pre-wired for generator, solar , and backup camera. Last but not least, rack-and-pinon slides, stay away from Schwintek, they're notorious for leaking and aren't as heavy duty as rack and pinion type.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
We are picking up a Forest River Surveyor 245BHS. Not sure what floor plan you like but this layout suits our family of four, and technically sleeps 8.....

Bodie217
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:

We now have a 2016 Arctic Fox 25R. Problem free? Not hardly. It is currently in the shop with a laundry list a half page long of things needing fixed.

Can you please elaborate on some of the issues you had with your new Arctic Fox? I am considering upgrading from a Starcraft to a AF 25Y. I haven't had a single issue with my TT in the 2 years I've owned it, and am surprised to hear that a supposedly superior manufacturer had a list of problems new from factory.

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
This Grand Design Imagine would be at the very top of my list for that tow vehicle and that many people.

That's a nice one... Going to see one Friday..
Camping world tomorrow

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
This Grand Design Imagine would be at the very top of my list for that tow vehicle and that many people.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which brands to avoid?

This is a total throw of the dice. We started out with an entry level 2010 Springdale 18' TT. Used it 5 seasons with zero problems. Never went back to the shop. Then we upgraded (:R ) to a new Nash 23D. Only kept it 1 season as it spent most of the time in the shop with a myriad of electrical problems and a chattering slide-out that virtually felt like an earthquake running it in and out.

We now have a 2016 Arctic Fox 25R. Problem free? Not hardly. It is currently in the shop with a laundry list a half page long of things needing fixed. At least the slide-out operates smooth as glass plus there is an access door for a hand crank should it ever fail, something the Nash did not have. Was always concerned the slide would fail out in the middle of nowhere!!!

Anyway, the problems currently with the AF are very minor and hoping we will have a trouble free future!!!

Good Luck.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

VOZ
Explorer
Explorer
GREAT INFO Folks..

I've been doing some research...

Sleeping 6-8 will be a stretch...

Mainly wife and I , but grand kids from time to time...

Tacswa3
Explorer
Explorer
+2 on what Durb said about the bed butting up to an entertainment stand. I have that and I hate it. I'm 6-3 so just imagine the cussing I'm doing lol