cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools?

Goosesquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever figured out exactly which tools you need to have in your tool box for a travel trailer? I have a full set and it is heavy.......I don't think that you need every socket made, every end wrench, etc.?

Is there a list of the nut/bolt sizes that are used to narrow it down, etc. from the manufacturers?

Basically......I would like to condense and still be able to handle an issue when it comes up?

Thanks in advance!
34 REPLIES 34

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I seem to be in the minority.

I only carry enough tools to jury rig a repair good enough to limp back to civilization.

Everything on my rig and TV are metric, so I do not even carry standard size tools anymore. All the tools I ever needed so far fit inside a .50 cal ammo can.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
spinners1 wrote:
We are full timers and do not have a home base. So I carry a lot of tools. In 10 years in addition to fixing or adding things to the MH, doing regular service and maintenance to the MH and TV, I have built two small wooden boats, and completely restored a 1972 18 foot Sea Ray I/O. This of course also means I have two boat trailers to maintain.

This requires pretty much a full work shop but I don't have that luxury. For a while I had a portable table saw I kept in a storage area where we keep stuff we want but don't have room for. I have since sold that. I am sure I have tools I haven't used in a long while, but I have found over my life that the minute I have gotten rid of a tool, I need it, and have to run out and buy a new one. So I never get rid of a tool unless I really have to. (like the table saw. Back when I first bought the MH and sold our house, I sold my band saw. But that's about it) I believe I still have a hammer my father gave to me when I was a teenager and I am now 70 so it's seen some use. I suppose I could rent a tool if I need to, or get one from the craft shop on Fort Lewis (I am retired military so I have that option) but I would rather just buy it and keep it. I guess it's an obsession.

You mentioned that hammer. My wife came home from work one day and said that a woman she worked with husband had died. She was sorting all the stuff out to have a garage sale and said he had like 16 or 20 hammers, I cant remember exactly. My wife was looking at me and I was looking at her and I didn't react, she says oh great how many do you have? I didn't say anything.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
I have a whole shop full of tools. I carry this while camping (and a credit card.) Absolutely no need to bring enough tools and spare parts to complete refit an aircraft carrier.

+4 And a little McGuyver type imagination.

My awning wouldn't go up one time when we were ready to leave the campground. Motor ran but the spindle just turned through the stripped cap. I had the simple screw drivers to get in to it. Then we broke out a hair pin and some aluminum foil to make a "key" to fill in between the old flat surfaces of the shaft and the cap. Rolled up the awning then put ratchet straps around the whole rig to make sure it didn't unwind while going down the road.

+5

I also bring an air compressor/portable power box, floor jack, monkey wrench, fuses, trailer light wiring, and a slew of extra screws and nuts. Gotta fix the kids bikes, boat, truck and camper sometimes.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

spinners1
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers and do not have a home base. So I carry a lot of tools. In 10 years in addition to fixing or adding things to the MH, doing regular service and maintenance to the MH and TV, I have built two small wooden boats, and completely restored a 1972 18 foot Sea Ray I/O. This of course also means I have two boat trailers to maintain.

This requires pretty much a full work shop but I don't have that luxury. For a while I had a portable table saw I kept in a storage area where we keep stuff we want but don't have room for. I have since sold that. I am sure I have tools I haven't used in a long while, but I have found over my life that the minute I have gotten rid of a tool, I need it, and have to run out and buy a new one. So I never get rid of a tool unless I really have to. (like the table saw. Back when I first bought the MH and sold our house, I sold my band saw. But that's about it) I believe I still have a hammer my father gave to me when I was a teenager and I am now 70 so it's seen some use. I suppose I could rent a tool if I need to, or get one from the craft shop on Fort Lewis (I am retired military so I have that option) but I would rather just buy it and keep it. I guess it's an obsession.
Ike
The Cottage
2004 Itasca Sunova 35N

westend
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I'm one of those that likes to have "all the tools to refit the aircraft carrier". 🙂 :E

It's one of the reasons I drive pick up trucks as my tow vehicles, so I can carry the things I want. In the bed of my truck I have two diamond plate tool boxes ( small ones, about 12x12x30 ). Each weighs a total of about 50 pounds. One has tools, the other has things like recovery straps, jumper cables, ratchet straps, etc.
But, having said all that, when I am out, I'm usually on the road for several months at a time, so I want to have the tools and supplies needed to fix the minor things that may come up.

X2
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
I have a whole shop full of tools. I carry this while camping (and a credit card.) Absolutely no need to bring enough tools and spare parts to complete refit an aircraft carrier.

+4 And a little McGuyver type imagination.

My awning wouldn't go up one time when we were ready to leave the campground. Motor ran but the spindle just turned through the stripped cap. I had the simple screw drivers to get in to it. Then we broke out a hair pin and some aluminum foil to make a "key" to fill in between the old flat surfaces of the shaft and the cap. Rolled up the awning then put ratchet straps around the whole rig to make sure it didn't unwind while going down the road.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of those that likes to have "all the tools to refit the aircraft carrier". 🙂 :E

It's one of the reasons I drive pick up trucks as my tow vehicles, so I can carry the things I want. In the bed of my truck I have two diamond plate tool boxes ( small ones, about 12x12x30 ). Each weighs a total of about 50 pounds. One has tools, the other has things like recovery straps, jumper cables, ratchet straps, etc.
But, having said all that, when I am out, I'm usually on the road for several months at a time, so I want to have the tools and supplies needed to fix the minor things that may come up.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I also have extra wheel bearings. You dont carry stuff like this to actually use it, you carry it so Murphy doesn't show up.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
I carry 2 screw drivers, a pair of slip pliers, a hammer for driving in the stakes, and of course a jack. That is all. I don't go on vacation to work on the TT. I work on it at home if anything is needed.
While on vacation, I vacation. Un needed tools just take up space.

What he said, I turned wrenches for 40 years, now I do maintenance at home and try not to rebuild stuff while traveling.

Still, unexpected emergencies, whether mechanical or electrical, can strike at any time, no matter how good prior maintenance has been. It's always a comfort to be prepared.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I for one think you should carry as complete a tool set as you can.

At minimum you should have enough tools to work on every system including wheels axles and suspension. And with doubles of some tools to use as Backing.

The small difference in weight to your Pick Up is negligible. As a sailor I like to be prepared to fix whatever may go wrong myself. And I think that philosophy is a good one for RV's.

Too many complain about the high price of repairs and shoddy workmanship but they don't become self sufficient in terms of being able to repair their own units.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have also run into clutch head screws. The fuses are a good idea, as are spare brake and running lights.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
In our HTT DH did have enough to build something really large. When we moved stuff into the TT he did a big cleanout. Still won't need most of what he has. One thing not mentioned, not really a tool, is to have a full assortment of whatever fuses your TT or vehicle need. We learned this the hard way....what a pain. Also whatever fuse your electric tongue jack needs...take several of those! Flashlight batteries....you'll need those when you put the new fuses in after dark, lol. DH also has always carried 1 spare set of wheel bearings. Lightweight, pretty inexpensive and if push comes to shove, he could replace a set roadside.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that wasn't mentioned, or I missed it, is a set of drivers for screws with square drive heads. That would frustrate the heck out of me if I didn't have the one size needed. I think mainly it is the No, 2 bit that is needed. Hopefully if you get a set with assortment of bits it will have the one needed and you can use it with the "socket" type screwdriver.
Unfortunately, I carry a bunch of tools, just in case.

no2tracks
Explorer
Explorer
I went out for week and after set-up and turned on the refrigerator on gas and nothing. After removing the panel outside, I found a squirrel had been working on a nest and chewed all the wiring. My brother was well equipted with lots of electrical repair parts and 30 minutes later it was good to go. I had to cover the roof vent with wire mesh to keep the critters out.
Another time I was pulled over for no lights. Needed a spray cleaner for the electrical connector between the TV and TT.
Just basic tools is all that's needed.
1987 21'Kit Companion