cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top 5 Options

Raider_Battalio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here. My wife and I are looking to buy our first trailer (likely buying new). We have narrowed down the floorplan, length, and major features that we want. However, one of the things I'm trying to figure out is what are the top 5 options I should make sure to have (like wired for solar, dual batteries, etc.).

I've searched for articles and forums but can't seem to find anything. I would appreciate your opinions.
48 REPLIES 48

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
So here's our top 5 options for a camper. Some people are posting top 5 things to buy for the camper or including standard features. We learned on each camper what we want now we have a camper with all our wants/desires:
-Power Tongue Jack (necessity)
-Power stabilizer jacks (a very nice to have)
-2nd AC, only if over 30'
-Large couch to seat our family of 5
-2nd half bath
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes! Just bought a new Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 and max tow package in preparation. I figured 11,900 would be enough to tow whatever we wanted either now or future.

I have the same truck with a 10,900 tow rating...5.3 engine .
All these options that people like, have one thing in common, weight.
Using the above truck as your TV , you will run out of payload before you climb to that TR of 11,900 .

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Easy setup is important to me.
1. Power jack
2. Power awning
3. Auto level system

Then
4. Large bathroom
5. Counter space

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raider Battalion wrote:
There are a couple that I found interesting but hadn't considered: Closed underbelly to keep out vermin and the Rounded roof.Thank you for all the great advice!!! :B
Forgot about the arched ceiling trusses. We have them and they are standard on our model line. Definitely nice as they make the interior seem roomier. Enclosed (and heated) underbellies are pretty common nowadays and are absent in the more entry level units. Other than making for a warmer floor and preventing tanks from freezing, be aware that they can hide substandard workmanship.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
My top priority would be the construction of the unit. Have a look at how the walls, roof, and floor are constructed and materials used. Solar, batteries, jacks, mattresses, etc can all be easily added or upgraded in the future. It's not so easy to upgrade the construction of a trailer.

Sometimes a perfect looking trailer is constructed with some of the poorest materials. It would suck to find what you think is the perfect trailer only to find that it struggles to maintain a comfortable temperature in any season due to low quality materials. Or find soft spots years later due to the ultra cheap construction of the floor.

A lot of this information you can find in brochures and on websites, but sometimes you have to make calls to the manufacturer. You'll find a few standouts that are using better materials and techniques that are above standard.

Raider_Battalio
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
No one asked yet, do you have enough tow vehicle to pull the TT you are considering?

Yes! Just bought a new Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 and max tow package in preparation. I figured 11,900 would be enough to tow whatever we wanted either now or future.

I understand that some of the things listed are MODS that will be done later down the road (sorry for the pun) but I do find it all very useful! I figured the list would be more than "Top 5".

There are a couple that I found interesting but hadn't considered: Closed underbelly to keep out vermin and the Rounded roof.

Thank you for all the great advice!!! :B

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
Perhaps anything that's offered may give him ideas that he hasn't run into. Some just like to nitpic. Whiny type.

^^^ Ditto...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the OP isn't talking factory options that you can order (okay, okay, it is more than 5 tho.):
- shocks on the trailer (a very few brands come with them)
- EMS (Progressive Industries) and permanent LED voltmeter inside (this is basically a must-have for CGs with power hookup)
- autoformer
- next load range up in tires (ours were a factory option)
- laptop & Verizon mifi hotspot
- RV GPS
- WDH better than basic bars & friction bars (we use a Reese DC)
- getting rid of the Lippert jacknife sofa and replacing with Harrison double recliner with power recline
- Torklift entry steps
- Stromberg Carlson soft grab entry handle
- built-in vacuum cleaner (ours is Intervac)
- replacing WFCO converter/charger with a Progressive Dynamic unit & AGM battery
- backup camera (although not impressed with our Garmin camera)
- satellite TV setup

There is an endless list of misc. straightforward simple lo-cost mods & upgrades that can be done that you will decide you want along the way.

If you have the option of ordering options on a new TT, the various manufacturers have many different offerings (some of which are "forced"). Our top ones are solid surface kitchen counter, electric awning, 2nd Fantastic Fan in bedroom, electric stabilizer jacks (except they don't actually stabilize) and fiberglass front cap.

My no. 1 favorite "option" is a DW that understands hand signals when backing into a site. Everyone should have one. 🙂

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps anything that's offered may give him ideas that he hasn't run into. Some just like to nitpic. Whiny type.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
To me and apparently most of the responders, options for RV’s are like with cars: upgrades or changes you have done at the factory or dealer before delivery. You can buy accessories later so there’s no need to consider a list of those before buying.

In reading the OP's original post it read to me like that's what he's actually looking for - a list of 5 options many of us have found really useful, not commentary on various trailer features to look for since they've already decided what features are important to them.

"We have narrowed down the floorplan, length, and major features that we want. However, one of the things I'm trying to figure out is what are the top 5 options I should make sure to have (like wired for solar, dual batteries, etc.)"

Perhaps he'll return to clarify. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
azrving wrote:
Not in order.

(LIST)

Again, are these not features to consider when purchasing a new trailer rather than options the OP was asking about? Or maybe that's what he really wants? :h

To me and apparently most of the responders, options for RV’s are like with cars: upgrades or changes you have done at the factory or dealer before delivery. You can buy accessories later so there’s no need to consider a list of those before buying.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Not really options on the camper, but may get thrown in with the deal:
WDH with built in sway, not a friction bar
Andersen type levelers
Plastic LEGO type blocks

Options: (not in order)
Power awning
Power tongue jack
Fantastic fan
Progressive Dynamics Smart Wizard converter
LT tires or Goodyear Endurance

Bonus:
Better stereo and speakers
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Not in order.

(LIST)

Again, are these not features to consider when purchasing a new trailer rather than options the OP was asking about? Or maybe that's what he really wants? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
LT tires
Disc brakes
EMS system
Vent covers
Slide toppers
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
1. LT tires
2. Vent covers