cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift GlowStep install results

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
8' camper on a shortbox truck. Because we also have a fifth wheel there are rails for its hitch in the box. When we bought the used camper, DH built a wood frame to sit in the box on which the camper rested.

I hated the steps the camper came with so this spring bought the 5-step 6" tread Torklift GlowStep. DH decided to build a new 2x frame from the camper to rest on, with a 6" deck area so we had a "landing" area before stepping down. Also we now have a storage space under the deck area, and a solid mounting area for the new steps. We also tow a boat trailer so wanted to offset the new steps enough to not conflict with the extended receiver.

And this is what we now have, still unpainted. Painting is my job so when we take the camper off again, I'll get on that. Also leaving the old stair mounting rail in place because those stairs will be used while the camper is stored on the sawhorses in the yard.

First, the work in progress but almost finished. We realized with the 5 steps and could rework the rails so the top stair was level with the deck, rather then the first GlowStep being below the deck area.

Side view of the stair mount and storage area. I like this big "landing" at the top!

Close-up overhead. Initially I wasn't sure I'd like the stairs offset this far to the right. It is perfect though.
It is easier to open the door and let it swing out. Especially when I'm carrying stuff and loading the camping stuff for a trip.

DH added a plywood piece to seal off the framing and create a flat deck. It is wonderfully easy now to step out of the camper.
I think the dogs will have an easier time of it too.

We did remove some of the side rails attached to the stairs to have the flat step on the top. After having done that, we saw it as an option in their instructions :B

Each end of the storage area will be sealed with a door. We considered a drawer but the camper's jacks are in the way. The area will be used for storing things like the fire poker (a piece of rebar), the hot dog roasting stick, fishing gear, etc.

For the record, these were the old steps...UGH!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!
5 REPLIES 5

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
pugslyy,
You slumin' over here from OXportal? You have a lot of great ideas, man.
Steps have been a problem for our old bods and old TC for a long time. The woe is my truck is 3" higher than stock, so it's right in the cracks when it comes to steps. I wrote a little about this on this forum. When I got the Glow Steps, I thought i was through fiddling with the altitude, but nooh, not so, diesel breath. Now I'm right in the middle again and must remove and cut my little extensions to make the steps even and level thus loosing the 'landing' effect. Oh well,
I do like the Glow Steps as they are built for heavy duty use, wide, with big materials and solid as a rock. Even if there is a little liquor involved they kind of make up for your indiscretions. The Glow part is kind of hokey, but that's O.K.
Hay-fay XTC
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
I bit the bullet and replaced my steps with Torklift GlowSteps earlier this year. I agonized over the purchase, but I couldn't figure out how to make my other-brand steps work - they sagged so much and were so unsteady!

The Torklift steps are a delight, I'm glad I got them.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I don't feel the need for the handrail. The GlowSteps are solid. No bounce or waver.

The safety rail attached to the camper is more than enough for now. Maybe when I age a bit more... ๐Ÿ™‚
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

rumcoke
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourselves a favor and add the handrail. You'll be glad you did.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks great, cannot wait to get my new steps as soon as the snow stops.

I would look at moving your license plate to the new platform that you have since it is very hard to see.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks