cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift Lower Stableloads

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 1999 F350 long bed with a heavy camper and was considering adding lower stableloads but after investigating the leaf springs on my truck there is only enough gap to install them on the rear side of the springs. Called Torklift but they only sell them in sets of 4 not 2. You need at least 1/8" gap to install.

This should be same situation on 99-04 F350's. Anyone have experience installing these on these trucks? If so do they work well installing only 2 on the back of the springs?
21 REPLIES 21

Bedlam
I had about 8000 lbs on my rear axle and had to use 80-90 psi in my bags to keep level yet keep my upper overload springs engaged. Adding the lower StableLoad wedges allowed me to run at 50 psi when loaded that heavy and 5 psi at 7000 lbs rear axle weight. Note: I was already running the upper StableLoad pads.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
I do have airbags so that tip would probably work for me too. Plus I like the ability to be able to adjust the tension on the stableloads. I guess you could do that with the wedges too by sliding them on the lower spring. Hoping to lower the pressure on the airbags once I get stableloads.

Bedlam
Whether you have to jack the truck up depends on how many wedges you fit between the springs. I used all three on the front and back of my overload springs which made it pretty tight even when unloaded. If I aired my bags up to 100 psi, I could swing them out and then drop pressure again to 5 psi. If you don't have bags, you can put your jack under your receiver and lift the truck up slightly to swing out the wedges. If you have a trailer attached, cranking up the tongue jack will also relieve pressure (similar to what people do when installing or removing WDH spring bars on their trailer). If you use less wedges, the above extra steps are not needed.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
The Torklift StableLoads swing in and out of place once installed - This what sold me on them. If I never ran the truck empty, I could have left the wood block wedges in place.

Do you have to jack up the truck to release pressure on the stableloads to switch them off?

Bedlam
The Torklift StableLoads swing in and out of place once installed - This what sold me on them. If I never ran the truck empty, I could have left the wood block wedges in place.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the posts. The wedges look a little easier and cheaper to install than the torklift's.(have to drill on my truck)
But both probably are some work to disable/enable if you use the truck without the camper a lot.

Bedlam
I've seen other variations using metal hose clamps to do the same as the square u-bolts. Prior to buying lower StableLoads, I used pressure treated lumber with a lag screw through the predrilled hole in my spring. Once I knew it worked, I decided I wanted to be able to enable and disable them easily and bought the Torklift product. If you never plan to remove the camper, fixed blocks work well. If you drive your truck unloaded with the blocks or wedges engaged, the ride will be quite harsh.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
They look healthy.
Maybe consider a no drill option. I didnโ€™t want to drill my leafs for lower blocks.
Used some plastic felling wedges and square u bolts. Works great. Only fab work was to dado a shallow slot in the plastic wedges for the u bolt strap so it sit flush with the block.
Theyโ€™ve been in for a couple years now, mostly unloaded driving. Only issue is on comes loose periodically. It rubs on my exhaust and I think the vibration causes it to slide out.

Great idea.. Any pics of your setup?

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2015 F350 SRW, I had to jack up the bumper to get the bolts in, and only 2 of the 3 wedges naturally fit in the jacked-down gap. Even with just 2 wedges, I've noticed a good positive difference.

--SiletzSpey

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
They look healthy.
Maybe consider a no drill option. I didnโ€™t want to drill my leafs for lower blocks.
Used some plastic felling wedges and square u bolts. Works great. Only fab work was to dado a shallow slot in the plastic wedges for the u bolt strap so it sit flush with the block.
Theyโ€™ve been in for a couple years now, mostly unloaded driving. Only issue is on comes loose periodically. It rubs on my exhaust and I think the vibration causes it to slide out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Not as bad as I originally thought. Once I crawled under and realized I had must been looking at an upper leaf because my tires were blocking my view of the lower most leaf in front.
Here are pictures of the two front springs and one of the rears.
Going to be a bear to drill the lowers I can see.
Pictures are with the truck unloaded and not jacked up.

Rear pass side

Front pass side

Front driver side

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
joeshmoe wrote:
I could only get 2 plates on just the rears. I tried and tried to seperate the leafs on the front, but no dice. They're tired out.

Take it to a spring shop and have them re-arched. Be just like new again.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bedlam
My 2005 F250 allowed three wedge plates on both the front and rear of the lower overload spring which was predrilled for the lower StableLoads. Is it possible your leaf springs are worn and sagging? You may be better off with a higher capacity replacement spring pack.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I could only get 2 plates on just the rears. I tried and tried to seperate the leafs on the front, but no dice. They're tired out.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's