cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift tie down maintenance

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
My 6 year old Torklift tie downs are in sad shape. The paint (or probably actually it is powder coat) is falling off so that there is now a lot of exposed and rusting metal.

So I need to paint them or something.

To prep, I started by scraping them with a wire brush and some emery cloth. That is helping to remove the chipping paint and some surface rust. But it is not taking all of the rust off down to bare metal. I think it would need to be sanded with a power tool versus hand scraping to accomplish that. But I donโ€™t want to start sanding off metal. That means less metal left which can hurt the strength of tie down. Besides it would be a lot of work all that grinding.

So I am thinking I will hand brush with a wire brush plus some light emery cloth. Then I will need to paint over some rust. Is it ok to do that?

Or maybe this isn'tโ€™ necessary. Maybe it doesnโ€™t really matter if the tie downs rust. For example, many of the metal parts under the truck are as rusted as the tie downs. Maybe there is so much metal on these parts that rust will never deteriorate the part to the point of failure.

However the tie downs were originally a painted part so I suppose I should paint them.

Then my next question is what to paint them with. The only thing I know of is rustoleum. Or is there something better?

So my questions are 1) how much prep should I do or can I paint over some rust, 2) what to paint the tie downs with, 3) or maybe rust on tie downs doesnโ€™t really matter (except for how it looks) and I could defer this job since I am currently busy preparing other things for a 2 month trip.

I know that these are very basic questions but I donโ€™t have experience with this topic.
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas
18 REPLIES 18

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
POR will work over rust. Clean them up best you can and then a couple of coats of POR.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
dhull wrote:
Rustoleum rust converter is all you need. No need to paint then.

lol, ^^^^ learn something new everyday. I seriously doubt it's a perfect solution, but I'd be all over it for a quick 'fix'. Nice find dhull.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you talking about the binders? You can only get into to many of the crooks and crannies without taking them apart. Wire brush and any can of paint off the shelf will work. None of it's going to last long, just the nature of life. Grinding with a flapper disc would be the best; you'd be hard pressed and bored to grind the strength out of them.

Painting over rust makes the rust look good, but it's still there. Rust is ugly perhaps, but as you pointed out, it's everywhere on the truck, and things still work. Touch up is ok, but there is a time when one is spending valuable time and money on things that have served their purpose.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rustoleum rust converter is all you need. No need to paint then.