cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklifts & Fastgun's

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished the purchase of a 10-2 Northern Lite TC & in another month, I will be driving a 2018 Chevy 3500 dually. Now I'm in the market for the tie-downs. When I look at Torklift products, it's a pretty much cut & dried EXCEPT for the Choice: Steel or Aluminum! I would like to ask those who have used or are are familiar with Torklift products, is it worth the extra "roughly" $200 for the Aluminum braces??? Secondly, my truck is Charcoal & Northern Lite Campers are white Fiberglass. Fastguns are offered in Stainless steel, Gray & Black & I've never seen them in person, SO what do you all think would look best with my combination?? Thanks for any information you folks can offer up - Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!
24 REPLIES 24

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
DWeikert wrote:
Probably too late but TL does make a short version of the Fastguns for bed mounted tie downs as well as the long version for frame mounted a tie downs.

That is what I am using, short Fastguns in front, long Fastguns in the rear with Happijac mounts on the truck.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
JCinAK wrote:

I installed the Happy Jacks on my F250 Short Bed and they work great, they go through the bed but also an L bracket that goes down to the frame so very strong and don't block the fuel door. My issue is the fast lock tie downs work great on the back to the bumper rings, but the front is so short, I need to cut the threads on my tie down. I also installed the Torklift trailer hitch so I can have the 3' extension, and if I need I can add the tie down to the hitch instead of using the bumper. But I have had several trips including off road here in Alaska and no problems, knock on wood.

Probably too late but TL does make a short version of the Fastguns for bed mounted tie downs as well as the long version for frame mounted a tie downs.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

JCinAK
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Isn't HJ using bed-mounted brackets, that are determinate unsafe on modern beds?
I have TL set on my long bed Ford and do have to remove it for fueling. Don't see the way around it. Takes about 5 seconds to take down and maybe 7 to put back.
I am in favor of stainless steel whenever it can apply. I have chromed FastGuns and they do show some corrosion.
Also pay the attention to rod lengths. I hate using chain extensions.
As mentioned above - aluminium when sprayed with salty mud will corrode and the material doesn't flex as much as steel does, so I would rather buy steel and spend 99 cents every season for a can of spray paint.

I installed the Happy Jacks on my F250 Short Bed and they work great, they go through the bed but also an L bracket that goes down to the frame so very strong and don't block the fuel door. My issue is the fast lock tie downs work great on the back to the bumper rings, but the front is so short, I need to cut the threads on my tie down. I also installed the Torklift trailer hitch so I can have the 3' extension, and if I need I can add the tie down to the hitch instead of using the bumper. But I have had several trips including off road here in Alaska and no problems, knock on wood.

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Fellas, I really appreciate ya all taking the time to respond - Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I have Happijac mounts on my 2012 GMC for 5 years now, they do mount through the bed floor into the frame up front and the rears are through the bumper that has the extra frame supports which are included to make everything solid. For connection, I use Stainless Steel Tork Lift Fast Guns. The best of both worlds, no reduced ground clearance, no rust due to road grime on the mounts, not a single bend or stress mark from the Happijac system, and SS fast gun tie downs.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or use a Stable-Lift and not need tiedowns at all
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I have the steel Torklifts I put them on in 2011, they are a rusty mess, I drive the beaches and plow snow, the passenger side rear was so bad I couldn't get the removable piece in this year

I don't have a problem with my fuel door it just makes it by

That said I have had both types TL & HJ I choose the TL

I have the fastguns chrome and I wouldn't be without locks, they are just to easy to lift the lever and walk away with them

I would choose the stainless steel fastguns
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the aluminum ties downs and the stainless fastguns. I do use the camper year round here in VT where salt, brine and snow and ice are all common. The tie downs are in good shape after a year in the salt and about 14,000 miles. There are a few spots where the powder coat has chipped from rocks and other debris hitting the tie downs but no signs of corrosion. The stainless Fastguns are wonderful. I have a Ford F350 and the gas cap is under the driver side front Fastgun but it is a snap to loosen the Fastgun, fuel up and be on my way. Very happy with both and no, I don't have locks.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I've only owned the steel but, if the steel rusts you can repaint. If the Aluminium corrodes it would be much harder to re-finish.
Joe and Evelyn

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I went with steel. Less expensive and we don't live or travel to snow with the TC. I have never had Fast guns but I am considering them in white which matches truck.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to consider, when front ties are molded to the frame, the hitch-mounted rears are very easy to fabricate, so if you have the means, you can easy save the $300. Obviously steel, as aluminium is much harder to fabricate.
I am avoiding areas where I have to worry about FastGuns theft, so am happy with standard pins.
Almost every time I lower the jacks for stability and disconnect FastGuns for the procedure, so could not use locks anyway.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
? I read the question was steel or aluminum Torklift tie downs, not H/J verses T/L. And opinions on finish of fastguns.

My vote also is stainless on the fastguns.
On the tiedowns, I couldn't justify cost of the aluminum Talons, and have never cared for the look of them. But don't have road salt issues which might be consideration, a block from the ocean rust, as far as function, hasn't been problem.

As to covering fuel door, our long bed also requires removing to refuel but simply is not an issue, wasn't even when I had chain and turnbuckles and used crescent to loosen nuts.
DRW fenders stick out further than the tiedowns, tail pipe among other things hangs lower.

I use locks, other than to keep from growing legs is to positively ensure they don't self disengage, regardless how unlikely.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
Stainless
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III