cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle Advice - Silverado and a 5th wheel

bakkenblack
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are moving out west with a 32', 6500 lb. Keystone Cougar 5th wheel camper (2002).

We currently own a 1/2 ton, regular cab, 2005 Chevy Silverado K1500, 4800 V8. Not 100% sure of the axle ratio, whether it's 3.42 or 4.10.

According to the mfg. the maximum trailer weight for this vehicle is 7000-8000 lbs. and the GCWR is 12000-13000 lbs (depending on axle ratio).

People keep telling us we'll be fine to tow this camper with our vehicle and that I'm overreacting. I've seen so many people saying the Keystone Cougars are "1/2 ton towable."

However, I still think we need a bigger truck...especially given that we're going to be driving several thousand miles just to get to our destination.

Am I wrong about this?

If I'm right, I'm going to try and convince my husband to get a better truck. Any suggestions as to an affordable truck that can pull a 5th wheel of this size? We don't mind buying used.

I appreciate any insight you guys can provide. I'm new to both trucks and RVing.
11 REPLIES 11

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with a ½ ton fifth wheel, on a drive to Yellowstone, from New Jersey. The 2011 Silverado was set up with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears, along with the towing package. It is a standard bed and rated for a 9600 pound trailer. Trailer was a new 2011 Wildcat.

Over the Cat scales at Flying J exit 2 in Jersey with a full freshwater tank, and loaded for a long camping trip:

Truck only:
Front 3320
Rear 2360
Gross 5680

Truck & Trailer:
Front 3180
Rear 3740
Trailer 8000
Gross 14920

Calculated:
Truck 6920
Pin 1240
Trailer 9240

So, with the truck rated at 7000, and the combined at 15000 and the trailer at 9600, I ain’t no bricks shy of a full load. This was a little high to me, so for our first journey we decided to not go to Alaska. So we dropped a second spare tire for the truck and the fresh water. Thus we dropped 400 to 450 pounds of gross weight all out of the trailer. The cost to weigh was $10.50, cheap to know as opposed to guessing.

So over the mountains we went. It pulls fine on the flat lands along the Atlantic coast. At 65 mph the transmission saw 180-190. Handled well, no swaying, just a well behaved load. Crossing the eastern continental divide from the town of Seneca Rocks, WV I had my first worry moment. Outside temp was about 80 at the bottom of the mountain. The truck pulled this steep mountain at about 30 to 40 mph, mostly in 2nd gear, with an occasional drop to 1st in the tight turns. The coolant peaked at about 240 or so, and then the temperature dropped to 220. I guess the electric fan has two speeds. Transmission fluid also hit 250 for just a moment, before dropping into the 230 to 240 range. The truck did not give a warning light. Anyone know the temperature to throw a warning and drop into the limp mode?

The tow/haul mode works sweetly going down the mountains, only an occasional use of brakes was necessary. The rest of the mountains pulled with no real drama. Topped most of them in 3rd at 40 to 50 mph. Got about 8.4 mpg on this leg from Jersey to Elkins WV.

Continuing on across the plains all was fine until the long constant pull against a strong headwind in South Dakota. With an outside temp of 105 the truck began to heat up on any extended grade. Four times the temp of the coolant climbed to 240 or so, and the transmission fluid also climbed to 221. Each time this happened, I shut down the A/C for 15 minutes and cooled everything down. The truck spent most of its time in 3rd gear under these conditions, at about 55 to 60 mph. The big headwind (maybe 40 mph) killed my mileage down to 8 even. A bigger truck would be needed to keep up with traffic. The strong headwind limited me to 4th and about 65mph on the downgrades. It would not stay in 5th, unless dropping into a river valley.

Easier pulling from Rapid City, SD to Gardiner, MT with no real headwinds. With temps in the mid 90’s the tranny held 190 to 205. Got about 9.2 mpg. Truck made it West, but I will be shopping for ¾ ton in either gas or diesel for more performance in the mountains.

On the trip East, I normally had a tailwind and cooler temperatures. Across North Dakota and through the Michigan UP, and on down to WV, mileage was in the middle nines with one whole day at 10.1. Plenty of truck for this driving.

After this trip I upgraded to a F250 with the 6.7 diesel. In 13,000 miles of towing in 13 and 14 no drama at all. The bigger brakes only were needed after the loss of trailer braking between Durango and Silverton Colorado. Ford replaced the trailer brake controller under warranty in Steamboat Springs. I like the F250 with a 10k door sticker since it gives me the towing limits I need (I like to de-rate the manufactures about 10%) and it allows me to use the left lanes and some parkways in the Northeast without the camper.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Start here and compare with all your truck's ratings. I suspect you are over more than one of the truck's ratings. But knowing exactly where you stand now makes it easier to decide what needs to be upgraded. Until then, we internet users are all guessing.

Any RV that says half ton towable means there exists at least one configuration of half ton that can tow it under all the trucks' ratings. That does not mean all half tons can tow it safely or under all the truck's ratings. In other words, they may work for the most capable half tons. You do not have one of the more capable half tons.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Double check the weight on that RV. I think you are about 4000 pounds light.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
By the time you get to Kellogg Idaho, you'll know if you need a bigger truck. Many to chose from there. Have a safe trip.

:B

Your biggest concern will be payload for your truck. Might look at the drivers door pillar and tell us the GVWR listed. You should also have tire rating for your vehicle.
Years ago we had a 1500 with a 24' Cougar and it was white knuckle at times. But it made it without killing anyone. The truck did have a tuner and extra spring in the rear and bigger tires.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm right, I'm going to try and convince my husband to get a better truck. Any suggestions as to an affordable truck that can pull a 5th wheel of this size? We don't mind buying used."

Most husband won't need convincing to get a bigger truck.....

However, if you choose the right time to travel (cool, light wind, no snow), a route with as few large grades as possible, pay attention while driving and stay at 55 - 60 MPH, use good braking techniques when going downhill you'll do OK with the 1/2 ton.

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 different 4.8 L Chevy's, all with the 3.73 rear gears. All of the trucks were 4 speed autos. No way would I pull a 6500 + lb fifth wheel with one. YMMV!
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
By the time you get to Kellogg Idaho, you'll know if you need a bigger truck. Many to chose from there. Have a safe trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
bakkenblack wrote:
........ 32', 6500 lb. Keystone Cougar 5th wheel camper (2002).........

Don't know specs on 2002 but 2014 32' Cougar has ballpark dry shipping weight of 9000#. Add your pots, pans, dishes, fill the pantry, load in clothes, tools, outside stuff like chairs, full propane tanks, a few gallons of water in the fresh tank, etc.. and you on average will have additional 1800# of stuff. I would say 3/4 ton in any brand. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds a little light for a 32 foot fith wheel. But if it were me I would not tow with that truck. I think you need a bigger truck. I have a 2000 1/2. With the 5.3 and 3.73 rear end and would not want to tow that TT across country.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

bakkenblack
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
If you have been pulling that camper with that truck where you currently reside, you will be fine pulling it for a couple thousand more miles. If you really want a new truck, any 3/4 ton will easily pull it.

We are buying the camper from a friend who moved it to our property for us because we don't have a hitch. We've never towed a camper with this truck...it doesn't even have a hitch on it. Just don't wanna invest money into getting the ball/hitch put on the Silverado, only to find out it's not gonna work.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have been pulling that camper with that truck where you currently reside, you will be fine pulling it for a couple thousand more miles. If you really want a new truck, any 3/4 ton will easily handle it.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes