cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towed weight tables?

Foy
Explorer
Explorer
After a mere 50 year absence from the ranks of pop-up camper (folding/tent)users, I'm starting to test the waters for a used PUP. Key in my search is towed weight. From just a cursory review of some used unit listings and an equally cursory review of manufacturer's data, the towed weight numbers are all over the place.

My goal is to find a unit down in the 2,000-2,200 lb range in order to keep it well below "trailer brakes" limits and well below the maximum towed weight rating of my 2010 Equinox (3.0 liter V6) and my Mazda B3000 3.0 V6. Much of my towing will actually be with my venerable Superduty diesel, but the unit must be reasonably tow-able behind the car or the little truck, for a variety of reasons.

The question: Are there dry weight and/or wet weight tables listing PUPs from various manufacturers over the years? My target price range will likely have me in the early to mid- 2000s model years, perhaps as "new" as 2007-2009 or so. Without tables, I suppose I can just continuously refer to published manufacturers' specs for each make and model over the years as I see interesting units on the market, and it appears that such make/model specific tables are readily available.

Thanks for any tips and advice.

Foy
11 REPLIES 11

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
State of PA requires brakes for anything larger than 1500lbs. That pretty much all modern day 8ft and up pups. We had a 3200lb 12ft pup towed by a 5.3 V8 trailblazer. We were at the GCWR 10000LBS (1 kid in car seat, 85lb lab, clothes, cooler, toungue wt) at the time.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Foy
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

As for your own situation: multiple tugs don't require multiple brake controllers- as long as they're all wired with a standard seven-pin connector one can use a wireless controller like this one that can be moved from one rig to another.

Great information here, and many thanks again. Availability of wireless, portable controllers seals the deal. I guess you can tell it's been a while since I looked into towing, can't you? I can readily DIY a 7-pin RV connector to the Equinox and the Mazda. My buddy's Taco already has one, as does the Superduty. Trailer brakes for everyone!

Off to shop for a little pup.

Foy

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way to compare is to look at the GVWR of the pup. If you can tow the GVWR, you can tow anything below that. Most pups have a very low CCC so are usually towed near or at the GVWR.

My Aliner has a GVWR of 2,000# and we have to pack relatively light to stay under 2,000#.

Trailer brakes are a very good thing, I highly recommend them regardless of legal requirements.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Presence of electric brakes varies from brand to brand, even in the used market. My 1978 Trillium's curb weight is 1400 pounds and it came from the factory with electric brakes. It's not a popup, but certainly in that size range.

In the "new" folding trailer market, brakes as standard equipment in the 2,000 pound size range are a mixed bag. They're standard on "foldups" like the Aliner, even the smallest (1200 lb.) version. Jayco's popups on the other hand offer brakes as an "option" on the two smaller models, though they're evidently included in some packages. Link to brochure Since the smaller trailers are obviously aimed at the small-tow market (mostly cars with that over-a-thousand-pounds-must-have-brakes limit) I think that many new trailers on dealer lots probably have them. It's also pretty cheap to retrofit electric trailer brakes. We did it on a small trailer for less than a hundred dollars a wheel.

As for your own situation: multiple tugs don't require multiple brake controllers- as long as they're all wired with a standard seven-pin connector one can use a wireless controller like this one that can be moved from one rig to another.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
While some heavier pups come with electric brakes. The lighter ones usually don't. We had 5 pups over the years. The last one, a 12' box Viking, had a GVWR of 2600lbs. None of them, including that one had brakes. And in truth. I never felt the need for them.

We towed them with a 1978 CJ5, A 1989 Ranger, a 1998 Grand Cherokee, and a 1996 F150. Never a problem. I could stop any of them as quick as I can the 31' 6000lb TT.

Problem with trailer brake, is that. Unless there is some weight on them. They just bounce and slide. At 2600lbs. You have to dial the power so low to stop the sliding. You have almost turned them off.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Foy
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks.

I've spent much of the last 40 years, since age 18, towing heavy boats and some utility trailers. I very much appreciate the advantages of trailer brakes, even when not legally required. I also have a feel for maintenance/repair issues which come with the advantages and the need to rig up controllers for my two vehicles and a friend's Tacoma which might also do some short-haul towing of the proposed PUP. With the Superduty weighing in at nearly 10,000 lbs GVW an unbraked tow isn't much of a concern. I'm OK with occasional short-haul use behind the lighter vehicles, too.

Besides, I don't recall seeing mention of trailer brakes on the small number of lightweight rigs I've looked at for sale ads for. Would I expect lighter units built in the mid-2000s would have them from the factory? A few longer-box and generally higher end units on the market do specify as having brakes, but none of the smaller units mention them.

Foy

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 2000# pup with a mini van and dodge magnum. The pup didnt have brakes and some quick stops can be interesting at best. You might give the lack of brakes requirement some more consideration.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'd forget the "no brakes" thing as a limiting factor- they're cheap, cheap, cheap and if electric an excellent safety device, as anyone who's ever used them manually to stop a sway event knows.

Also, and regulatory limits aside, brakes may well be required by both of your tow vehicle makers for trailer weights above a thousand pounds....this regardless of the bigger engine size of your Equinox's V6. Such limitations have to do with the tow vehicle's braking/stopping capacity rather than pulling power.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Foy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I had previously looked up the max towing capacity of the Equinox with its 3.0 V6 and I assumed, without looking, the Mazda would be similar if not greater. I'm surprised and disappointed to know it's 2,500 lbs with the 3.0, extended cab, and 5-speed manual. After seeing Old Biscuit's notations, I searched it up and he is of course correct. I had just assumed the Equinox would be the lesser of the two.

But it's of little matter: I want a lightweight unit even though most of the towing will be by the Superduty. Anticipation of using the car or the little truck are strictly short-hauls within NC and nearby VA.

Good to know the nomenclature on cargo (CCC), where the dry weight + CCC should be expressed as GVWR.

All of this fits my general desire for a simple, Spartan unit. Can't get but so fancy at <2,200 lbs or so, it seems.

Foy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately you will need to check each rig individually

Look at dry weight plus Cargo carrying capacity (CCC) OR GVWR

It appears your Eqinox has a higher tow rating then the Mazda (3500# vs 2500#) so any trailer they are able to tow would be under NC Trailer Brake requirement (4000#)

Needing the Mazda to be able to tow.......the 2000-2200# you stated would be the way to go.
Now you just need to find the right one.
Good Luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better look at your tow rating for the Equinox. I'm bettin its around 2000lbs, and no more than 3500lbs with the tow package.

At any rate. Look at the pup's dry weight, and the weight carrying capacity. Many can only carry 600 to 1000lb over the dry weight.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers