cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a Travel Trailer with a Pontiac G8

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I have a general question about towing a 2,600 lb (when completely empty) light weight travel trailer with a 2009 Pontiac G8. The manual on the G8 says about towing: It should never weigh more than 2,000 lbs. But even that can be too heavy. I tried to explain this to the person that has this set up, but they told me that has to do with a class 1 trailer hitch. He insisted that his towing setup (hardware) is well equipped to handle the trailer, cargo (both in the trailer and in the car), 2 adult passengers, and an infant. My concern is that they are putting their kid (and themselves) in serious danger by towing this trailer with the current set up. I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this or with dealing with someone like this. The G8 has a brake controller installed and the tongue weight on the trailer is 312 lbs according to the trailer manual. Can someone please let me know if i am way too worried about this? Do you think this is a safe set up? Is there something else i am missing? Please let me know.
69 REPLIES 69

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
The G8 was made by Holden, an Austrailian auto manufacturer, there the V8 is rated to tow around 3500lbs, the V6 goes up to almost 5000lbs.

Here is what I found. It is called the Commodore down there, the link mentions a towing kit, probably like a tow package here.

If your brother could actually find a properly rated hitch it might be OK for short close to home trips but without a tranny cooler and extra engine cooling he may be pushing his luck. I used to tow a Coachmen 16B with similar specs as his and it was an easy tow but I had only towed it with half ton pickups.

Good luck to both you and him.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Does his wife have any more sense? Can you voice your concerns to her? I would rather make someone mad at me for intervening, than to not intervene and see them have a serious problem.

To my knowledge she does not know about the maximum tow weight of the car. I wanted to go to her but my family told me I'd be overreaching but that was going to be my next option.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does his wife have any more sense? Can you voice your concerns to her? I would rather make someone mad at me for intervening, than to not intervene and see them have a serious problem.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully he will burn up the tranny before anything more serious happens.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Okay, here is some brief research I did on the G8.

Just looking at the hitch...it appears you can only get a hitch rated for 2,000 lbs max Trailer weight and 200 lbs max tongue weight.

Unless your BIL has a custom class 3 or 4 hitch he is going to be seriously under hitched.

Here is the Etrailer link for the G8 hitches.

I would not advocate this at all. That little hitch will fail. Maybe not at first but eventually.

Now, something like a Livin' Lite pop up is very doable for this vehicle.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

To my knowledge he got a class 3 hitch for the G8. His trailer is a 2018 Coleman Clipper 16RBD:

Hitch Weight 312 lbs.
UVW 2806 lbs.
GVWR 3627 lbs.
CCC 821 lbs.
Exterior Length 18' 4"
Exterior Height 9' 8"
Exterior Width 88"
Fresh Water 33 gal.
Gray Water 25 gal.
Black Water 25 gal.
Awning Size 10 ft

I should have added this earlier

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, here is some brief research I did on the G8.

Just looking at the hitch...it appears you can only get a hitch rated for 2,000 lbs max Trailer weight and 200 lbs max tongue weight.

Unless your BIL has a custom class 3 or 4 hitch he is going to be seriously under hitched.

Here is the Etrailer link for the G8 hitches.

I would not advocate this at all. That little hitch will fail. Maybe not at first but eventually.

Now, something like a Livin' Lite pop up is very doable for this vehicle.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
OK, I'm not familiar with with the tow vehicle so had to do some Google searching to see what everything was.

2009 Pontiac G8

I think the OP has already answered his own question, 2000 pounds vs actual weight 2800. My answer, based on that alone is "No" don't do it.

But, the OP is attempting give advise to his brother who is about to make a big mistake. The OP is aware of this. How does the OP now reach some logical sense into the great mind of someone who thinks they know it all?

Basically, all you can do is show him the fact, the 2000 pounds vs the 2800 pounds. Second, get him reading on these forums, especially the forum on Towing. If he read enough, maybe the light bulb will go off in his head and he's have the "Ah-Ha!" moment and realize he's about to make a mistake and put himself and family at risk. And more than that, these forums, members have explained over and over, WHY such a set up is a risk. Hopefully, reading here, he'll "see the light".

Fourth, sometimes pepole are just too suborn and just have to learn the hard way. I know, this hurts, and you are concerned, and you care. But when someone won't listen, all you can do is do YOUR best with the warnings and just have to let them do it and make the mistakes, which may be very, very costly. But somethings, you are just powerless over some people. They are so bull headed believing they are correct and everhone else is wrong, they just can't be reached. Sunch people, you reach a point where, if you want to stay frineds and close, you just have to shut up and let them go!

Good luck, and let's all hope you can reach that logic point in your brother's brain!

Thank you so much for this reply.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Horsepower is only one factor when towing , he fails for everything else , this is not going to end well , either for his car and/or family

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'm not familiar with with the tow vehicle so had to do some Google searching to see what everything was.

2009 Pontiac G8

I think the OP has already answered his own question, 2000 pounds vs actual weight 2800. My answer, based on that alone is "No" don't do it.

But, the OP is attempting give advise to his brother who is about to make a big mistake. The OP is aware of this. How does the OP now reach some logical sense into the great mind of someone who thinks they know it all?

Basically, all you can do is show him the fact, the 2000 pounds vs the 2800 pounds. Second, get him reading on these forums, especially the forum on Towing. If he read enough, maybe the light bulb will go off in his head and he's have the "Ah-Ha!" moment and realize he's about to make a mistake and put himself and family at risk. And more than that, these forums, members have explained over and over, WHY such a set up is a risk. Hopefully, reading here, he'll "see the light".

Fourth, sometimes pepole are just too suborn and just have to learn the hard way. I know, this hurts, and you are concerned, and you care. But when someone won't listen, all you can do is do YOUR best with the warnings and just have to let them do it and make the mistakes, which may be very, very costly. But somethings, you are just powerless over some people. They are so bull headed believing they are correct and everhone else is wrong, they just can't be reached. Sunch people, you reach a point where, if you want to stay frineds and close, you just have to shut up and let them go!

Good luck, and let's all hope you can reach that logic point in your brother's brain!

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy - yeah he has the full size V8 and I agree some people should not be towing with their set ups. Thanks for the info.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
If he didn't ask for advice I would stay out of this and BYOB. This is not going to end well unless you do.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot I will do that for him but i know he has low profile tires on the car, not even stock......yes he is a genius.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't a G8 a fullsize car? And I do believe they have the same V-6 thats in other cars/SUV's that are rated for more! It may even have a V-8. 2600lbs will be 3500lbs loaded for a trip. 12% of that would 420lbs for tongue weight! If they watch what they pack they should be OK. I'm finishing up a 2 week trip now. 4K miles when I'm done. So far I've seen 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that shouldn't be towing what they are, but because they are 3/4 and 1 ton people will say they are OK. Ide rather have a well thought out, properly setup car and trailer like we are talking here rather than a poorly setup 1ton truck.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope he doesn't kill his wife or child...or me or you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A G8 isn't going to have the engine or trans cooling needed to pull a trailer like that.
You don't want to do this!