cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing behind the TT

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has a hitch on the back of it that was bolted to.the frame and welded professionally. My question is how do I determine how.much weight can i pull from it. For the last 9 years I have been pulling a small one spot trailer with my wheeler. I have two wheelers and would like to town them both back there, but I want to be safe. Any ideas on how to determine if it can hanlde it?
20 REPLIES 20

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho says you can triple tow with a passenger vehicle. Look it up and quit arguing.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
If there is no place to hook up the safety chains and itโ€™s not rigged with a lighting connection then itโ€™s for a bike rack.

Just to answer this it is setup for safety chains and there is a 4 way for lights.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no place to hook up the safety chains and itโ€™s not rigged with a lighting connection then itโ€™s for a bike rack.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have enough trouble keeping the rig under control going up and down just modest grades with my 6.0L 'Burb and 7500 lb. TT and would not want any more weight to deal with.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
kearlms wrote:

It's quite common to see TT's going down the road with a trailer behind it. I've seen many with as many as 4 ATV's or even a UTV on it. Idaho says it's fine as long as you are within a length limit. I was looking for advice on how to find out limits. I will have to seek out a shop that might be able to give me some help. Bought the TT from a couple that towed a trailer with a wheeler and a diet bike. They bought the TT new and had the mod done. Hope I can get an answer

I see a fair number of 5er double towing but can't say I've ever seen a TT double towing (I'm sure you have and can pull up pictures from the internet. not saying it's never happened).

I wouldn't trust a welding shop to understand the math. A trailer with 4 ATV's could easily run 3000lb, assuming 350lb hitch weight and 70% comes off the main trailer hitch, that is very likely to push you under 10% on the main trailer and make the trailer unstable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
carringb wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I don't believe it's legal to double tow with a travel trailer (as opposed to a 5th wheel).

It is in Idaho, where the OP is. No restrictions on trailer types for this purpose.

Maybe but in many states they differentiate 5th wheel from bumper pull and there is good reason for it.

Most likely the states that allow it simply haven't addressed it because it is so rare it never rose to the level that the politicos took notice.

It's quite common to see TT's going down the road with a trailer behind it. I've seen many with as many as 4 ATV's or even a UTV on it. Idaho says it's fine as long as you are within a length limit. I was looking for advice on how to find out limits. I will have to seek out a shop that might be able to give me some help. Bought the TT from a couple that towed a trailer with a wheeler and a diet bike. They bought the TT new and had the mod done. Hope I can get an answer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
I don't believe it's legal to double tow with a travel trailer (as opposed to a 5th wheel).

It is in Idaho, where the OP is. No restrictions on trailer types for this purpose.

It may not be unlawful, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
carringb wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Maybe but in many states they differentiate 5th wheel from bumper pull and there is good reason for it.

Most likely the states that allow it simply haven't addressed it because it is so rare it never rose to the level that the politicos took notice.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
It works much better with a 5th wheel but I'm not a fan of trains, period. Decided it was a bad idea when I saw my boat in the lane next to me. It's hard to gain control back once you start to lose it. I now take two vehicles.

If you do it, drive extra slow and put a sway bar on both trailers.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
^What Jim said... Have it checked out by a fab shop, for the hitch capacity.

Real capacity will be tongue weight most likely. You can't let the 2nd trailer tongue weight cause the primary trailer's tongue weight to become offloaded enough it becomes unstable. In other words, keep the primary trailer at 12% or more.

I have towed snowmobiles behind my TT throughout northern Idaho, and it was still a just as stable as towing the TT only. I will be installing a rear camera before I do this next time. The snowmobile trailer was completely invisible except when going around curves. I puta snow skirt on the rear of the TT (aka mist guard.... looks like long broom bristles) and that reduces snow buildup on the 2nd trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
samsontdog wrote:
It is legal to tow behind a TT in Calif, dont know about other States

You might want to check that, the information I have says no double towing behind a passenger vehicle. The hitch on his trailer was likely for a bike rack as was mentioned.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can't put a lot of weight on that hitch no matter how well it's connected because it will unload the weight on the tongue.