cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading a 5th Wheel for a Truck Camper

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Our Carriage Cameo has served us well over the last 10 years but I have spent too much time changing new tires on the side of a busy, hot stinking highway over the years. When I am not changing tires, I am worrying about changing tires, when I am not worrying about changing tires I am maintaining them or buying new ones. I am tired of tires.

Plus the size of the 5th limits the places you can stay, the places you can get diesel, the campsites you can access and the terrain you can cross. Being 60 years old, I find washing and waxing becomes a multi-week ordeal or a costly one and I look forward to neither. At this point the age of the 5th makes it a constant maintenance hobby.

When we bought the 5th, I don't remember seeing any truck campers with slides. Now they make them with up to 3 slides and a very open interior. We are currently working a deal on a TC and I am looking forward to camping again.
19 REPLIES 19

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
LT tires will end your tire troubles, but that is not the point of your post so I will add 2 more cents.

We went from a popup TC to an S&S 11.5, then to a fiver. There are times we still wish we had a popup TC. You can go anywhere with them, and they don't knock your mileage down. Our S&S is now basically an apartment at my parents. We sleep too good in it to get rid of it.

Saying that, if it is a campground, I can get our fiver in almost any site, but we really like boondocking, and there are places we just can't take our fiver.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We moved to TC from bus conversion, but "lost" 3 boys from the family, while small dogs take way less space.
I had the same impression about TC in the past, but once I saw 12-footer with slide, dry bath and decent holding tanks, I was all for it.
Convenience of driving that thing without size restriction beat smaller storage space.
Set of good tires for my previous conversion was more than $5000, although I could buy used way cheaper as this was the size semis use.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Before purchasing our new TC we considered a small 5th wheel. In the end and for many of the reasons you conclude we went with a large 3 slide camper the we almost full time in. Really not wanting for anything.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
How do I say pre- welcome, welcome to the club.

Welcome to the club.
Welcome in advance, You won't regret it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone has to row their own boat in life and no one else can do it for then, you, me.

I hope you have great success with the new TC and it fits your changing life style perfect. I think your biggest adjustment will be getting use to the smaller space, but the trade off for your intended use is a good trade off. Good luck withe the adjustment and wish you Many more years of happy camping.

Congrats on the new camper!