cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer connect

GregA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question regarding "Trailer Connect" on my Ford F350.

I have both a 5th wheel and slide-in camper. The 5th wheel seems to just "connect" if the truck is running. The Slide-in camper only "connects" once I press the brake on the truck.

Anyone know why? I'd like for the slide-in to "connect" without depressing the brake. I have my reason I can get into later but in short I want the batteries in the camper to start charging from a remote truck start. Which I think it does with the 5er.

Cheers,
Greg
17 REPLIES 17

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
mkirsch wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
yup they do. well not power, I have it disabled for the camper and the 5th wheel.

You have what "disabled?" The 12V charge?

Why don't you enable it so it comes on when the truck starts?

The 10 minutes of charging you'd gain from a remote start, though, is negligible.

yes the 12V charge. I disabled it becuse I have solar on both the 5th wheel and the camper, as well as 6V deep cycles that I want to have the proper charge going to. Mind you I am looking at a DC to DC charger for emergencys in the camper when I am camping in the winter.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
TxGearhead wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Computer constantly sends tiny signal down brake wire to sense trailers brake magnets presence. So it knows automatically.

What if you have disc brakes...no magnets?

there is actualy a setting for hyd trailer brakes in the dash menu.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
guidry wrote:
Not sure if it will help you or not but I have a 2016 Chev truck and had a 2003 Northern Lite TC. When I connected the cord after a few brakes the TC would burn out the light fuse. After many checks I finally called Northern Lite and they said to disconnect the rear brake light above my TC because of the age difference. I tried it and it worked. So, your problem "may" be connected (see what I did there) to the age difference of your rigs. Good luck

Please expound on this. You run your TC with no brake lights?
Since the OP flaked after one post we can discuss your issue instead.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it will help you or not but I have a 2016 Chev truck and had a 2003 Northern Lite TC. When I connected the cord after a few brakes the TC would burn out the light fuse. After many checks I finally called Northern Lite and they said to disconnect the rear brake light above my TC because of the age difference. I tried it and it worked. So, your problem "may" be connected (see what I did there) to the age difference of your rigs. Good luck

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
TxGearhead wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Computer constantly sends tiny signal down brake wire to sense trailers brake magnets presence. So it knows automatically.

Still has an actuator but may also require different setting in trucks puter. Haven't done that so not sure.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mkirsch wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
yup they do. well not power, I have it disabled for the camper and the 5th wheel.

You're not going to get the truck to automatically "detect" the TC, because it does not have trailer brakes. I suppose you could put a trailer brake in an external compartment and wire it up, but that just seems silly.

The 10 minutes of charging you'd gain from a remote start, though, is negligible.

Well, not much silly-er than the original postโ€ฆ. To be fair.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:

You're not going to get the truck to automatically "detect" the TC, because it does not have trailer brakes. I suppose you could put a trailer brake in an external compartment and wire it up, but that just seems silly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I have a 14F350 and my camper doesnt show up at all. I believe it used the brake circut to sence if there is something on it but I am not positive on that. it makes sence though as my camper is the only thing that doesnt show up.

Steve

But the lights and power still work, correct?
OP must be insinuating that that stuff doesnโ€™t work until brake depressed. Which seems odd, although I donโ€™t know how the newer Fords work.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
@GregAโ€ฆ.
Is now a good time?

Bedlam
My camper and brakeless trailer are not seen by the Ford or Ram. I believe it must have the brake circuit active and have not seen a difference when the brake pedal is applied. My Ford power wire was ignition enabled while my Ram is always present.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
StirCrazy wrote:
I have a 14F350 and my camper doesnt show up at all. I believe it used the brake circut to sence if there is something on it but I am not positive on that. it makes sence though as my camper is the only thing that doesnt show up.

Steve

But the lights and power still work, correct?
OP must be insinuating that that stuff doesnโ€™t work until brake depressed. Which seems odd, although I donโ€™t know how the newer Fords work.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Iโ€™m waiting for the โ€œreasonโ€โ€ฆ.lol.
(Only because thereโ€™s no practical benefit to battery charging during a short duration of a remote start)