cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer cover when to use.

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
So I put my trailer cover on for the first time tonight, what a huge PIA !! It's not possible without me getting on the roof, which I don't trust with my fat a$$.. So when should I put it on?? After every trip, only if it's going to be sitting for a while?? When ?? Any ideas on an easier way to use it ??
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)
7 REPLIES 7

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our TT came with a cover from the previous owner. I did not get it covered before the snows arrived and spent the winter on a step ladder pushing snow off the roof whenever it was 6โ€ deep or more. If I had not we would have had 20โ€ or more collect. Quite unusual for Indiana.

I now have a more sheltered parking spot but it is surrounded by pine trees. I hope with the cover to have less snow accumulation and that it will be easier to remove from the covered TT top. It will also help keep off the pine needlee etc.

I know the dealers do not cover their trailers and many folks get by quite well without a cover but to me it is like chicken soup; it cannot hurt.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

retiredcamper20
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a cover as well, and I haven't even put it on yet. I am dreading how to do it. I have a rear slide and don't even have a ladder attached to the TT so will have to use an external ladder to get on the roof. My personal plan is to get the wife up there (Joke) and put it on at the end of the season when no more trips are planned. Probably around October and leave it covered until May.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You could search this Forum for `rv cover' and read for hours. We use a Sunshield tarp and cover it after every trip. It covers the roof and part of the sides, front and back. Much easier to install and take off than the `full size' covers. But one still has to go onto the roof to put it on but it can be pulled off from the ground.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
I only cover in the offseason. Helps keep it clean.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Gsragtop wrote:
So I put my trailer cover on for the first time tonight, what a huge PIA !! It's not possible without me getting on the roof, which I don't trust with my fat a$$.. So when should I put it on?? After every trip, only if it's going to be sitting for a while?? When ?? Any ideas on an easier way to use it ??

I only cover the AC to keep the snow out of it over the winter. That's more than the RV dealers

If I was parking under trees like Mitch, I would tarp the roof.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only use mine when it's being stored and not being used. It is a PITA to take off and put on between trips during the camping season. For me, that's only between May and Sept.

I don't have the time or $$ to camp year round, or else I would! ๐Ÿ™‚

I do park mine under tress, so it's an essential thing to do when it's parked for 7 months out of the year...

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm thinking you will get a lot of replies on this one. (I see you are kinda new - welcome!)

I don't use a cover and the vast number of rigs I see are normally never covered.

(I don't want to start a debate about their merits at all, if you want one that's totally cool.)

The best answer is probably gonna be: do what you think is best for you and your own rig.

The one guy I know that does use a cover only covers his in the fall when he is done camping for the season. Come April, it's gone - not to be seen again till the end of November or so.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped