cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer grounding

keggerman
Explorer
Explorer
Can i, or should, I ground my trailer with a grd. rod to frame,even if my rv shore cable is grounded thru the rv recepticle box? My trailer is permenent on its site.
15 REPLIES 15

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you added a ground, you'd have to drive about an 8 foot rod into the earth. The rod won't come out easily and if you camp a lot and drive a rod every time, it will get expensive. I don't worry about it - the shore power ground is good enough for me.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
With respect to external electrical service, a RV is an appliance, receiving ground and neutral connections through the power supply connection. That's different from a structure, where the power company connects only 1-3 phases of "hot" and and connects "neutral" and "ground" for the distribution system to the earth where possible.

I don't see that it would hurt. Even if there were small potential differences between your ground rod and the power cord ground, you are not usually hooked up long enough for significant galvanic corrosion, not like a boat sitting in salt water. Your ground rod might help you detect faults in the wiring of ground at the power box.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
No need for additional grounding.
Surge and power protection device would be far better investment.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think lightning is a valid concern as a reason NOT to ground. First off it is already grounded through the service connection. Secondly, if the lightning can travel many miles from the clouds to your RV, a couple extra feet to the ground isn't an issue.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Bzeitham wrote:
Yes, you can. It will provide additional safety should there, for some reason, be an "open" from your RV to the electrical ground. Should, for some reason, the frame of the RV come in contact with the hot side of your AC and there is not a ground, you could have 120 volt potential between the trailer and ground. I saw this happen at a camp ground many years ago. For some reason the trailer was not grounded electrically and the campers complained that they were getting shocked when exiting the trailer. Yes, I think if you can you should. It's better to be safe!

I agree from a safety standpoint, if there is an open ground through the service connection, there is a potential for a shock hazard from any metal part of the trailer to earth.(If the trailer frame has a short to the current carrying conductor)
On the flip side, As for lightning, it's arguable that grounding the chassis to earth could actually make you more likely to get hit. Simply put, lightning discharges happen when there's enough of a difference in charge between the air and the earth to overcome the "resistance" of the space in between.
If your camper is up on rubber tires, it's not likely to have the same charge as the ground it's sitting on, so it would be a less attractive path for the bolt. But of course, in the end lightning is like the 500 lb gorilla. He does whatever he wants to.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can. It will provide additional safety should there, for some reason, be an "open" from your RV to the electrical ground. Should, for some reason, the frame of the RV come in contact with the hot side of your AC and there is not a ground, you could have 120 volt potential between the trailer and ground. I saw this happen at a camp ground many years ago. For some reason the trailer was not grounded electrically and the campers complained that they were getting shocked when exiting the trailer. Yes, I think if you can you should. It's better to be safe!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Homes and buildings always have multiple ground points by code. RVs normally do not but it wouldn't hurt if it is permanently parked. There is safety in redundancy.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:

If you have Chinese tires you will be grounded sooner or later. LOL

:B:B:B

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Can you? Yes. Would it improve anything? No.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
Do you have Chinese tires?

If you have Chinese tires you will be grounded sooner or later. LOL
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
NO!
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have Chinese tires?

J/K You shouldn't need to ground it, but it won't hurt anything. It is a bit of a security blanket to add a ground.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It should already be grounded through the plug and won't make any difference if you add a ground rod. It would not make a lightening strike anymore likely or damaging either.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly not my area of expertise but I would think it would be alright to doโ€ฆ most are grounded already (although poorly) through the stabilizers and tongue jackโ€ฆ

But please donโ€™t take my opinion to seriouslyโ€ฆ someone with more knowledge about this will certainly jump on with better and more accurate advise than I could giveโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet