cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer options

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked to post this over here. So, here I go!

I have fallen in love with the Alto Safari R series.

I'm looking for something that is 'lightweight' has versatility of space and feels open.
This unit has that! And it folds down to travel.
1700+dry, 900lb add well with my Subaru Outback capability.
No need to buy a truck!

I'm searching everywhere to find something comparable. Haven't seen it yet... Really?

I'm not into towing a 3,000lb beast (though still considered lite) and buying a 40k truck to haul it.

Options anyone?
Has no one yet copied they're trailer??

Casita is on the list, but heavy to me...
Tent to Pop-up to 5th wheel, currently without and wanting...
7 REPLIES 7

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Again labels and documents printed inside campers and blasted all over websites by tow veterans and experienced campers. Never make the mistake of using "dry weight" figures. You don't need a 40k tow vehicle. Any half ton truck of the past 20 years or any variation of the chevy trailblazer. Jeep grand cherokee, and pathfinders. I have a heavy suburban tow vehicle and $3000 commuter beater car.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
With all my wants in it, I'm looking at 1909lbs dry. They sent a very nice spreadsheet with costs and wieght

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
More info

Their website states, "Sold in USA directly from the factory".

Ya, well, not really.. You buy direct and pay a brokerage fee, get a 10 day Canadian plate to drive home..

I've just started conversations with them.

Olddawgsrule
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen anything like either, reason I ask, hoping someone else may have.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
More info

Their website states, "Sold in USA directly from the factory".

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check the delivered weight of the trailer and not just the dry weight. It appears that things like a microwave, furnace, and AC are not included in that weight rating. Weights can add up quick.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like those Alto Safari R's (with that retractable roof) are unique to Canada and a unique design. I've not seen anything like that sold in the USA, unless it's a complete specialty off the radar company or something. More than likely, because they are not a mass produced camper, it's going to cost more. However, even the small T@B tear drop comes with a heavy price tag.

My suggestion; if this is the design you really want, cross the border and purchase in Canada and bring it home. If you settle for anything less, you'll never truly be satisfied. Sometimes, we just have to pay the price to get what we want.