cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer quality

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of changing from a high quality truck camper to bumper pull trailer...... can I ask advice of good quality trailers in the 22 foot class with walk around bed..... or maybe ask for those that should stay away from...... I'm assuming when they say ( micro weight, light weight & etc) that they are using less materials & other cutting of stuff to lower weight...... Have a ram dually now...... More interested in strong good quality over light weight...... Thank You
jimbow
23 REPLIES 23

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going used, our Skyline has been trouble free and is a perfect coupleโ€™s trailer. Havenโ€™t been made for a few years, but if you could find one thatโ€™s been maintained, it would make a possible choice.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone. Jayco, Grand design, Kz, etc. They all use pretty much the same components from the same manufactures. If you compare the models at the same price point you will see the build quality is about the same.Pick your price point and then pick a floor plan that works for you and go with it.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Is there a 22 foot TT design with a "walk around" bed? Most trailers of that size have smallish "double" beds, or fold out couches, or drop down dinettes.

Our 21ft has a U-shaped dinette that drops down to an almost full queen size bed, which we add a 2" foam topper to when we set it up. I love it! We rarely sit in our trailer when camping, so we usually just leave the bed setup all the time.

There are plenty of under 22โ€™ trailers with a walk around queen. Mine is one. That was a requirement when we were looking a few years ago.

Huh, I did not know that. I just haven't seen one in person.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1985/gallery/

This would be my pick. 2022 models are redesigned inside and out.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/Whats_New.php

Lance switched to a cheaper frame and went from a torsion axle to leaf springs. They also made a number of changes to the interiors (including battery storage) that they are now reversing. They no longer have stove vents over the cooktops in any of the '22s.

Their prices went up exponentially with these changes. I priced a loaded 2020 Lance 1995 in April of 2020 and it was $39000. They're well over $60k now.
Talk to a Lance dealer and they'll tell you that any trailer ordered now may very likely have differences that are unannounced and unexpected when it is delivered.
I'm not disagreeing or arguing, but I need to understand what you're saying here. Huckbolted frames are no better as far as I know. Nor are torsion axles. I'm not familiar with the other stuff you metioned.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow2 wrote:
Thank You everyone & I have been following each reply....... I have gotten a much more positive idea what to expect and bottom line seems to go used for cost effectiveness....... Also looking at SMALL 5th wheels.... Thanks

Small 5er again look at KZ or the Grand Design or the Jayco or Cougar lines.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow2 wrote:
We are thinking of changing from a high quality truck camper to bumper pull trailer...... can I ask advice of good quality trailers in the 22 foot class with walk around bed..... or maybe ask for those that should stay away from...... I'm assuming when they say ( micro weight, light weight & etc) that they are using less materials & other cutting of stuff to lower weight...... Have a ram dually now...... More interested in strong good quality over light weight...... Thank You

I have a 2022 Rockwood 2109S. It is 22.3 feet. It has a queen bed that you can walk around. As far as quality this is my third Rockwood and I have had no issues with the trailers other than very minor quick fixes.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everyone & I have been following each reply....... I have gotten a much more positive idea what to expect and bottom line seems to go used for cost effectiveness....... Also looking at SMALL 5th wheels.... Thanks
jimbow

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2003 R-Vision 28-foot light weight Trail Cruiser TT was of very good quality because R-Vision was a subsidiary of Monaco Coach. No serious or expensive issues in over 10 years of hard travel from Texas to West coast mountains and thru the Rockies and including outdoor storage lots in very hot Texas and Nevada summers. Cheers

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1985/gallery/

This would be my pick. 2022 models are redesigned inside and out.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/Whats_New.php

Lance switched to a cheaper frame and went from a torsion axle to leaf springs. They also made a number of changes to the interiors (including battery storage) that they are now reversing. They no longer have stove vents over the cooktops in any of the '22s.

Their prices went up exponentially with these changes. I priced a loaded 2020 Lance 1995 in April of 2020 and it was $39000. They're well over $60k now.
Talk to a Lance dealer and they'll tell you that any trailer ordered now may very likely have differences that are unannounced and unexpected when it is delivered.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Is there a 22 foot TT design with a "walk around" bed? Most trailers of that size have smallish "double" beds, or fold out couches, or drop down dinettes.

Our 21ft has a U-shaped dinette that drops down to an almost full queen size bed, which we add a 2" foam topper to when we set it up. I love it! We rarely sit in our trailer when camping, so we usually just leave the bed setup all the time.

There are plenty of under 22โ€™ trailers with a walk around queen. Mine is one. That was a requirement when we were looking a few years ago.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
If it's made in Indiana, you might not like it. $7.25/hour wages do not buy quality.

Wage of the workers does not make one difference in "quality".

Build quality and price are however directly related to what the cheapskate buyer is willing to pay.

Don't want to pay much for a RV? You get cheap materials, cheap construction for being a cheapskate.

Spent my last 22 yrs working in a high tech robotics manufacturing business and seen it all.. Typical starting wages at that place was right at $10 per hr..

Yeah, even at that wage had to deal with constant no shows, drunks and heavily laced drug addicts along with the constant slackers that couldn't care less about quality. Seen at least half of our production crew get fired over the years by constantly tripping the late or no show boundaries one too many times.

You could easily quadruple the $10 starting wage and still get the same crowd and it just costs the company more money and yet you get absolutely no better quality.

RV manufacturers build to the target price range that they know will sell, very few will build $100K 22ft travel trailers because that market simply is too small. The only exception I can think of to that may be the diehard AirStream buyers but those buyers will buy an AirStream at any price.

You contradicted yourself here. Wages absolutely make a difference. Corporations will always justify huge management salaries by talking about how they have to attract "top performers" to remain competitive. Why doesn't that also apply to the workers on the factory floor? If you pay them the least the law allows, that sends a powerful message to your workforce, the message that they have little value to the company and are easily replaced.

RE your comments on price. TTs are at the very bottom of the price range and represent about half of all RVs sold. Airstreams are worth the price (for the most part) due to their construction. Show me any 20 year old Rockwood or Jayco that's had a full frame-off restoration or customization. There are AS from the 40's and 50's still traveling and creating memories. IMO AS are worth every penny and the market there is strong.

There are PLENTY of buyers at every price range. Look at the boom in Class Bs. A used AS Interstate is easily $250k. At the recent Alemeda RV show, the least expensive Class B I saw was a used unit at $84k. Class A prices START where high'end TTs end.

Lance is currently the RV industry's cautionary tale, with 2022 production in turmoil. They've been cutting corners and changing designs in order to lower costs and their customers are noticing and not buying. This needs to happen across the RV spectrum to see any real change.

Quit blaming the workers. We (consumers) speak the loudest with our $$$

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The general industry state of "quality" is not very good !

I saw a video where a less than 2 yo trailer need new axles because the old ones bent. This caused a severe camber change and burned up all 4 tires.

If the axle was undersized, you have to wonder about the rest of the frame !

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer