cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Weight vs Truck Capacity (I know, I know....)

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will all feel that this topic is beaten to death, but in spite of a TON of reading, I'm still not sure I understand, so I figured I'd better ask.

I'm looking at a 37foot long trailer, a K-Z 329ik, which weighs 8100ish pounds empty. GVWR on it is 9500 pounds. Thus begins the issue...

My current truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3, and 3.42 gear ratio. My read is that my truck isn't big enough for this camper. I can probably get it home empty, but once stuff starts getting added to it, I'll be over weight very quickly.

I've been looking at new rigs, and done the math, and on paper the new Ford F150s, outfitted properly, appear to be able to handle the weights. Again, this is on paper, according to the math. Everyone seems to say, though, that they wouldn't tow a camper this size with a 1/2 ton pickup, no matter what the math shows.

So... what is the 3/4 ton going to give me that the properly outfitted 1/2 ton won't?

I'd rather have a 1/2 ton, since this is my daily driver, and I think a 3/4 ton will get old quickly on the frost heaved roads of New England. Having said that though, I know that safety is more important than comfort, so if I have to put up with driving a tank, so be it. I just want to better understand the "why" of it.

Feel free to use small words, and pretend I'm an idiot.... thanks!
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
No less than a 350 dually preferably a 450 dually

I'd say 5500 is required......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice on the 2500, see my sig. I have similar fifth wheel and wouldn't consider a 1/2 ton for that job. I may have missed it but what 2500 truck did u go with?
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
unh044 wrote:
So that you can all rest assured that I'm not out there being a menace to the motoring public.... I picked up my 2500 this week. Haven't done any towing yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll feel better in this than I would have in the 1500.

Thanks for all the input.

Fill in your sig. Post pics when u can.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
So that you can all rest assured that I'm not out there being a menace to the motoring public.... I picked up my 2500 this week. Haven't done any towing yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll feel better in this than I would have in the 1500.

Thanks for all the input.
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
So go ahead and do it, then come back and ask if there is an ointment to treat your white knuckles.

I think your math is wrong. If your that much in love with your 1500, buy a smaller TT - one within it's limits. Airbags and shocks don't increase payload.

Good luck getting this thing home as your tongue weight will be well over 1000 lbs - how did you calculate that? Did you check the weight limit on the receiver?

You hauling your family in that setup, or are they driving in a separate vehicle? I wouldn't put my family in that one.

Good luck - you seem to be in need of it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
patriotgrunt wrote:
I used to tow a 4000 lbs bass boat behind a 3/4 ton Dodge and I never knew it was back there. Later, I sold the Dodge and went to a very capable F-150. It towed the boat fine but I definitely knew it was back there. I could feel it as I drove and especially when I came to a stop. I then traded that truck in for a 3/4 F-250 and again I tow that boat without knowing its back there. Now imagine three times the weight and how much the difference in towing will be.

Although the 1/2 ton can do the job, the 3/4 ton is just built to tow. It's much more capable, stable, and safer.

There is a HUGE difference between pulling a bass boat with little or no appreciable tongue weight than a TT with a 1000 lb tongue weight. Apples and oranges.

I'm sure the main issue here with the OP would be the payload capacity of the tow vehicle. Once you load the trailer/hitch plus people, animals, tools, camping equipment, etc.... you will be at or over the 1/2 ton payload capacity and probably the RAWR also.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
STABILITY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
atwowheelguy wrote:
Here's a difference in the 150 and a HD truck.

My 1-ton "SD" E-350 and yes it has a factory label that says "Super Duty" has a dana 60 semifloat 8 bolt axle rated at 6,084. They changed from a full to semi float in 2001 on the Vans and during a tech seminar with Ford Factory suspension reps back in 2002 I questioned this change in even my 78 E-250 had a full float rear axle and their reply was "they have never had a documented failure in the higher rated semi float axles on any of their vehicles. So while the concept and added security of a full vs semi float is there, it's an added security that is not realistically needed.

You might disagree, but I now have 100K on my Van and my rear axle weight has consistantly been withing 200lb of the max rating on my rear axle when towing over 50K of those 100K miles.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a difference in the 150 and a HD truck.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great info posted. So I'll give you my experience: I previously had a 27' Jayco and towed it with a 1500 GMC and it towed just fine. Upgraded to a 2500 Chevy and it towed awesome. Upgraded my trailer to a 34', and outside of towing just a few miles, there's NO WAY I'd want to or enjoy towing that size with anything less than a 3/4 ton. As a matter of fact, towed it to Yellowstone this summer and it handled perfectly.

Now, can it be done with a 150? Probably. Go visit the Ford EcoBoost forum and those guys tow some CRAZY weights. But I can't imagine it would be any fun.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a 4000 lbs bass boat behind a 3/4 ton Dodge and I never knew it was back there. Later, I sold the Dodge and went to a very capable F-150. It towed the boat fine but I definitely knew it was back there. I could feel it as I drove and especially when I came to a stop. I then traded that truck in for a 3/4 F-250 and again I tow that boat without knowing its back there. Now imagine three times the weight and how much the difference in towing will be.

Although the 1/2 ton can do the job, the 3/4 ton is just built to tow. It's much more capable, stable, and safer.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
The best thing to do is figure out what "payload" capacity you need. Make sure you allow for how much stuff you will have in the trailer and how much stuff you will have in the truck. Then buy a truck that has the payload rating (see the yellow sticker on the door in the truck) that you need (and all the other ratings also).

The calculators here can help out with that. clicky

I agree with you, a 3/4 ton does not make a very good daily driver, First Hand Knowledge. Just because you need a hammer doesn't necessarily mean you should be using a 20 lbs. hammer.

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
With out reading all other replies I'll say this. Go drive some of the 3/4 and one ton's. You might be surprised how smooth and comfortable riding they can be. My previous Ram 2500 had coil springs on all four corners and my wife loved riding in it. She even admits riding in my 3500 dually is a better ride than her minivan. Now about my '05 2500. She hated riding in that one. You can even get a Ram 2500 with air suspension on all four corners that I would assume is an even better ride then the coil springs (haven't drove one so can't give my opinion)

All my talk about the 3/4 tons. I also agree with the first couple replies. Go with a 350/3500 and never have to worry again about what you might haul.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest safety feature I noticed in comparing my old F150 and the new F250 was the brakes. Big difference. Huge difference in power also.