cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer License Plate Necessary?

MuirheadFam
Explorer
Explorer
The state we live in does not require a license plate to be displayed on a travel trailer. We have it registered and have a plate inside the camper. We are camping in other states this summer - CO, KS, AR, MO, NM, TX. We are wondering if those states require the plate to be installed on the travel trailer?
36 REPLIES 36

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
A quick call to law enforcement should answer any questions.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
2oldman wrote:
yes they do
That would be my guess. It's well established that you you have to obey all driving laws when in another state. Only your drivers license has reciprocity.

The subject of reciprocity has had a lot of discussion on another board that I frequennt.

The concept of drivers license reciprocity is well understood but equipment is a big question.

I have traveled all over the US and settled on the idea that, when it comes to equipment, that I have to comply with the regs of the state that I am in.

Some dissagree with me. They are claiming that reciprocity extends to equipment as well.

Neither of us has been able to find documentation to back up our view.

Can you point me to any material that speaks to the subject?

Thanks.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I second putting a plate on the trailer. Once you go out of state, no plate is an easy way for a LEO to pull you over if the state you are in requires a plate, especially since they often can't see your TV plate and see you are from out of state.

As an example, in oregon small trailers under a certain loaded weight don't need plates. I had a 3 rail MC trailer, no plates needed in oregon. WA state requires plates on ALL vehicles. After being pulled over twice in WA and questions why no plate, explaining and LEO doing who knows what kind of checking, finally let go. Finally decided to get a plate and avoid the hassle.

It isn't a matter if the state you are traveling in requires plates, that ONLY applies to vehicles REGISTERED in that state, reciprocity applies as you travel through states.

So, you may get stopped, then the LEO will do a search to verify your home state doesn't require a plate and IF he can verify you will eventually be on your way.
I think this is the best answer so far.

I live in OK. My cargo trailer has no plate, not required. I sometimes use it out of state and camp out of it, and I carry a document from the state of OK which verifies that no plate ("tag") is required. Been doing this for about 3 years. So far I have never been questioned.

But, since the OP has a plate, it makes no sense to carry it inside rather than mount it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Not much work to put he plate on.
Big hassle if you are pulled over for no plate.
Why ask to be pulled over?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
25 years LE and I know of no state that does not require plates. OK does not title trailers, but the do register them, that caused a small issue when I bought a boat in OK that was on a trailer. Boat had a title but not the trailer, need a notarized statement that the seller was the owner. It was titled to the new state.

Oregon doesn't require plates on trailers under a certain loaded weight. Most utility trailers, 3 rail bike trailers, some boats fall under that category. However, I do believe that an trailer sold as a "travel trailer" regardless of weight would need plates. Especially since the fee is based on overall length, not weight.

However, if a trailer doesn't require plates and you don't plate it, it can't be parked on a public street. If LEO sees it on the street with no plates they can (and I've seen them do this) put a warning, that it will be towed in 24 hours if not moved.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I second putting a plate on the trailer. Once you go out of state, no plate is an easy way for a LEO to pull you over if the state you are in requires a plate, especially since they often can't see your TV plate and see you are from out of state.

As an example, in oregon small trailers under a certain loaded weight don't need plates. I had a 3 rail MC trailer, no plates needed in oregon. WA state requires plates on ALL vehicles. After being pulled over twice in WA and questions why no plate, explaining and LEO doing who knows what kind of checking, finally let go. Finally decided to get a plate and avoid the hassle.

It isn't a matter if the state you are traveling in requires plates, that ONLY applies to vehicles REGISTERED in that state, reciprocity applies as you travel through states.

So, you may get stopped, then the LEO will do a search to verify your home state doesn't require a plate and IF he can verify you will eventually be on your way.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
MuirheadFam wrote:
The state we live in does not require a license plate to be displayed on a travel trailer. We have it registered and have a plate inside the camper. We are camping in other states this summer - CO, KS, AR, MO, NM, TX. We are wondering if those states require the plate to be installed on the travel trailer?

Do you mean a physical metal/plastic plate like on a motorized vehicle or something akin to the trailer registration "Sticker" like Minnesota issues for trailers under 3,000 GVW?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
TN used to not require noncommercial trailer plates, but they changed the law some years ago (10-12?). I knew people that would haul a personal trailer to NC and back and often were stopped by NC authorities. Sometimes issued a ticket (which they ignored- but better not get stopped in NC again for a while!).

TX has required trailer plates since at least the 1970s. I'd bet all of the states do so now since its an easy cash grab for politicians.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
25 years LE and I know of no state that does not require plates. OK does not title trailers, but the do register them, that caused a small issue when I bought a boat in OK that was on a trailer. Boat had a title but not the trailer, need a notarized statement that the seller was the owner. It was titled to the new state.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
I think some one is pulling some ones leg!
That may be. I googled this and could only find VA that issues a one-time plate to the owner. OP could return but I'm not holding my breath.

It's not Virginia. We have to display trailer plates. If you didn't cops wouldn't have any idea looking at the back of your trailer if it's registration was expired and they could write you a ticket for the expired registration.

From the Virginia DMV website:
"Trailers can be registered annually, bi-annually or permanently. The trailer registration fee is based on the gross weight of the trailer and the registration period selected. Insurance coverage for trailers depends on the insurance coverage of the vehicle pulling the trailer."

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
That may be. I googled this and could only find VA that issues a one-time plate to the owner. OP could return but I'm not holding my breath.

It's a troll post folks. Think about it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guy Roan wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do everything I can to comply with my stateโ€™s law and with other statesโ€™ laws. Why invite a citation or pull over?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
Why would your state give you a plate when you registered the trailer if they didn't want you to install it on the trailer.

I think this is the big question. Why issue a plate if it won't be displayed?
Hopefully the OP will tell us which state he is talking about.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Put the plate on the trailer. It's not worth the hassle of getting pulled over and having to explain why you don't have to have to display the plate even though you have it. If a police officer or state trooper are following behind you they have no idea what state you are from even if they know your state doesn't require the plate. Even if if you wind up getting pulled over by officer Friendly, there are enough bad cops out there looking for an excuse to pull somebody over and jam them up, why give it to them.