cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

traveling to Long Island N.Y.

quickrod66
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Sag Harbor on Long Island N.Y. 1st of Sept to visit daughter who works there. Pulling the 28ft travel trailer. when looking at the map I do not see many options. Any advise will be appreciated. Starting out from the eastern shore of Maryland.
13 REPLIES 13

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're heading to the eastern end of Long Island, an option to consider would be to bypass The City altogether.

H E R E is a link to the Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamship Company; take the ferry across Long Island Sound from Bridgeport CT, and you won't have to worry about bridge(s) tolls, expressway tolls, heavy traffic, etc in NYC and Nassau County. Trailers can be accommodated; while it's not cheap, relatively speaking, it's a lot less hassle than trying to get through NYC. And it adds an element of adventure to the trip, experiencing the ocean air as you relax crossing over to Long Island! If it were me, I sure would opt for this rather than trying to drive through The City at any time of day or night.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Crossing the GWB by accident is a mistake that you only make once lol. We were thinking, "Well since this is NY, this bridge will be expensive. Pull out the $10 instead of the $5." The guy in the booth then said said, "That'll be $50." Our jaws hit the floor and he said, "Well ya towing something." He was nice of enough to tell us that if we got lost and had to come back to just show the receipt so we don't have to pay again lol.

OP - If it's your first time to the area, stay off anything that says it's a Parkway. Sometimes GPS units will try to route you down a parkway as a shortcut. They're plagued with very low overpasses.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
There's just something magical about paying $21 PER AXLE to cross the George Washington Bridge, and then another $8 dollars per axle to cross the Throgs neck bridge
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
State CG's on L.I. , check the pet policy if that matters to you.
Have your daughter make a connection for a driveway or at a business parking lot will be your best bet.
Some F.D.'s , Moose/Elk Lodges will allow members to park overnite, that might be an option . I have had good luck asking restaurants. Make a call to the owner of Sag Harbor Marina, ask if you can squeeze into a corner , out of the way. Being that your party is planning on eating at the restaurant , they might accommodate a good customer.

If you choose to do this with no dump stations nearby.......
because we have the room in our bathroom, we just installed a second head, an electric flush CURVE porta potty in our bathroom . We are able to dump the portable 5 gal waste tank at any bathroom . This enables us to dump our TT tank once a month. It works well for driveway parking etc where no dump stations are avl.

Use nyc LIVE TRAFFIC CAM websites prior to departing. There is a ton of roadwork going on in and around nyc day and night .
I travel at night and I avoid RT 440 outerbridge crossing and Verrazano bridge crossings at all costs in an rv. You have to use rt 278 (Brooklyn Queens expy) off the VZ bridge due to NO RV use on the Belt Parkway or all parkways on L.I. The exceptions are Wantagh and Meadowbrook Parkway south of Merrick RD rt 27A and Ocean Parkway , Robert Moses causeway s. of rt 27A .
Due to potholes, I broke 3 hitches on the Brooklyn Queens exp.rt 278 as well as rt 95 off the G.W. Bridge. I go north on the Garden State Parkway in NJ (open to rv's) , I go north out of my way to the Tappan Zee bridge and cross the Throgs Neck bridge onto L.I. then rt 495 east .
Its worth the extra 50-60 miles or so .

Make sure your flat screen tv is strapped in place (better yet, I remove mine to a safe place under my bed, they tend to break off the wall mounts around nyc , ( its just a little bonus the city offers)

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.easternlikampground.net/

Here's the link.

I lived on LI for 55 years, no matter what time you're trying to get into or off LI traffic is gonna suck!

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
quickrod66 wrote:
Going to Sag Harbor on Long Island N.Y. 1st of Sept to visit daughter who works there. Pulling the 28ft travel trailer. when looking at the map I do not see many options. Any advise will be appreciated. Starting out from the eastern shore of Maryland.

There's a private campground on the north fork of LI. I believe its called Eastern LI Campground. I think it's in Greenport. So you take Rt. 114 South and you'll be in Sag Harbor in about 20 mins.

Another one fairly close is Cedar Point Park, which is a Suffolk County Park. The Suffolk county parks only allow a 7 night max. stay. The N.Y. state parks allow 14 night max. stay.

County parks allow dogs state do not.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Previous post was absolutely right about avoiding rush hours and needing mucho dolores for tolls! EZ Pass is a great idea. Do everything you can to avoid the George Washington Bridge! No way I would ever even attempt to drive an RV over it! Maybe at 3AM! There are numerous roadways in the area RVs are not allowed due to very low clearances. Belt Parkway, for instance,RV's not allowed. Also not allowed on Southern Parkway/Southern State Parkway for the same reasons. Robert Moses Causeway - ditto. Don't know where you are on the Eastern Shore, but you could get to the Cape-May Lewes Ferry, pick up the Garden State Parkway in NJ and take it to the NJ Twpk. OR Looked at Good Sam's Trip Routing and they suggested this: Cross into Jersey on Del. Mem Bridge, then take NJ Tpk North (I95) to I 278 (Staten Island Expressway) to Verrazanno's Narrows Bridge. From there, it gets dicey. The Belt Parkway is most direct, but no RV's (and believe it when you're told the lanes are very, very narrow!) Could take SIE (I278) that turns into the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway [BQE] (Still I 278) to the Long Island Expressway [LIE] Which is I 495. This will take you east onto the rest of Long Island. You can take that to Veteran's Memorial Highway (Rt 454) That hooks up to the Sunrise Highway (rt 27). Out here there are no restrictions on RV's on the roadway - I think! You can then go to Montawk Highway (Rt 39) to Rt 79 (Bridgehampton/Sag Harbor Turnpike). Honestly, there is no good way to get there! Expect traffic to be awful always, and as previously posted, AVOID ANY OF THESE ROADS ANYWHERE NEAR MORNING OR EVENING RUSH HOURS! I must say I have never made this trip and this info is only from my Good Sam trip planning pages. The whole North Jersey/NYC highway maze is overwhelming, to say the least. Far too many vehicles, far too few decent roads. The infrastructure is horribly overmatched by the numbers of people who need to rely on it every day. Have never driven in LA, but of all the cities we have ever visited, from Chicago to Atlanta, to Boston, Philly or Washington DC, must say driving in the NYC area is by far the worst. And for decades we lived only about 80 miles south along the Jersey Shore. Whenever we went to 'the City', we took public transportation if possible. We once drove to NYC when it took us over 3 hours to cross into Manhattan on the GWB!!! Best of luck in your journey. Leave yourselves plenty of extra time and be ready to sit in traffic! Those have been our experiences!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Most importantly, whatever you do, make sure you do not pass thru any part of New York during peak traffic times. And bring lots of cash/ezpass for tolls
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
You need to make reservations now and I bet you will not find anything.Its the high season but sometimes people cancel so try anayway. Wildwood SP, Wading River or Eastern LI CG in Greenport, would be better bets as they are on the North Fork. You would drive down the NoFo and cross over on the Ferries to visit her. Thats the fastest way. On the South Fork Indian Island CP Riverhead, Sears Bellow CP Hampton Bays, Cedar Point CP East Hampton. Google Suffolk County Parks for info. This is the high season and you are coming before Labor Day. Maybe a better bet is if your daughter has a driveway to pull in to. The park system opens up after Labor Day when the kids go back top school. Wildwood, Indian Island and Eastern LI have hookups. ALL of the others have water, dump stations and bath houses. No electric no sewer its dry camping. PM me if you need more help.

Happy trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/2811/Battle-Row-Campground

We stayed at Battle Row. Nassau County facility. Very central, reas rates. Nice park!

Be aware it could easily be a two hour drive to Sag Harbor from there.

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the beach Hither Hills would be good if you could get in there. They usually book up as soon as they start taking reservations for the year.

Theodore Roosevelt County Park is also beach camping but with no hookups and you need 4 wheel drive as you camp on the sand.

I have not personally camped at the two above as we are not fond of the beach.

If you want more of a woodsy feel you could go to Wildwood State Park in Wading River. It is a little further away but a nice full hook up park with reasonable rates. No cable tv though.

Another option would be Eastern Long Island Kampground. A bit more costly but has cable TV as well as a decent store and planned activities. The only problem is that it is on the North Fork and Sag Harbor is on the South Fork.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Suffolk county parks have campgrounds
2 I know about are
Smith point
and Indian island
you may want to start your search
at
https://parks.suffolkcountyny.gov/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/search.html?Module=RN&Display=Graphical&SessionID=81a7e6e4-57f6-eca6-1414-cc13201fdee4
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/2811/Battle-Row-Campground

We stayed at Battle Row. Nassau County facility. Very central, reas rates. Nice park!