cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tree Pruning

charlesmcelhane
Explorer
Explorer
I need to do some tree pruning right infront of my garage to park my RV home. I am looking for suggestions which type of chainsaw should I buy?
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhode dog wrote:
hi my answer won't follow the other answers but we could stay on topic. ask questions like how big are the branches how high up on a ladder with a chain saw he wants to go? and if you have to ask what kind of chain saw I need you need a tree professional. to be safe. think about the kind of damage you could do too your self when falling.

OP is a flake or spammer, donโ€™t worry aboot it.
Back to your regular programming, Scooby Saves the Treesโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think an electric pole saw would be good if OP is talking about at home only. Very cost effective and will work if the limbs are small. Very small limbs can be cut with almost any type of saw, but there is technique required with any of them.

On the other hand, if a ladder and chainsaw is required and OP has no experience using a chainsaw, I'd probably pay someone or ask a friend who usually uses a chainsaw on a ladder. Someone also has to deal with the leftover parts, so a plan has to be made for disposing of them.

As far as the other comments on the thread, seems like a lot of people need to be out camping. :D. We are getting a few warm days even in MT now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rhode_dog
Explorer
Explorer
hi my answer won't follow the other answers but we could stay on topic. ask questions like how big are the branches how high up on a ladder with a chain saw he wants to go? and if you have to ask what kind of chain saw I need you need a tree professional. to be safe. think about the kind of damage you could do too your self when falling.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
If you only need it for this 1 job, I would rent a chainsaw.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
charlesmcelhaney12 wrote:
I need to do some tree pruning right infront of my garage to park my RV home. I am looking for suggestions which type of chainsaw should I buy?

Husqvarna 550XP MK2.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Funny story, I was down in Porthole interviewing for a new job last fall (that unfortunately I had to decline).
Now this project that I was interviewing for still had a good year until initial utilities relocations were to begin and a couple years until the design will be complete enough to begin substantial construction work.
Of course word was already out that some trees will be harmed, ruthlessly killed in fact. (Ripped out by the very roots that give them life and stabilityโ€ฆ.picture the agony. Trees have feelings and it hurts when you cut themโ€ฆ) Even though said trees will be recycled into carefully placed logs with rot wads in environmental mitigation areas.
Sorry I get a little off topic and emotional at the thought of itโ€ฆ.
In light of this future proposed rampant injury, death and destruction of some of Oregonโ€™s finest majestic botanical resources in downtown Portland (yes that was sarcastic since most of them were planted after the freeway was completed originally and now are fall hazards to motorists and property), when I toured the future project area, there were already past, present and future tree protests in place!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^wise words.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
charlesmcelhaney12 wrote:

I cut and sell firewood with a gas Stihl/24" bar. I'm 80+ now and the saw is too heavy for me to use as a pruner or trimming limbs off after the tree is down.
I have 7-8 DeWalt battery operated tools so buying a 20V DeWalt chainsaw tree pruner..12" bar has been a god send for me for pruning duties for limbs up to 8" dia or so. Its light weight.
If you use a ladder don't cut a limb that is heavy enough to knock the ladder out from under you. Small limbs are ok...just use good sense around a chainsaw and be safe.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I use a battery Ryobi sawzall with
a good wood blade, works perfect. Done with any
type of chain saw.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^:B

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here's how I see this trimming project. If I have a lot of cutting, an actual project, I'll gas up my bad azz chain saw, an the schit will fly, with lots of cleanup to follow.

For just a small branch trim job, I'll use my electric pole saw, that also converts to a hand held, for cutting the branches now laying on the ground.

Sooo, OP, what is it, a light trim, or a full blown six pack project??

Jerry

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
There are a lot of warning signs embedded in this question. Maybe due to how vague it is, or maybe the nature of the question not lending confidence in abilities to handle a powersaw.

Maybe also due to the fact that they're asking a gardening question in a truck camper forum?

Smells like a t to the r to the o-double-l to me.

That said, my answer to the OP's question is Husqvarna if you're a Stihl fan, and Stihl if you are a Husqvarna fan. Either way, we will be having a fist fight to determine the superior saw brand.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I got a battery powered one from Lowes a while back and itโ€™s the best for trimming small limbs. But l also have a Steil. Big one for larger jobs

Ditto. Big stihl for big trees and a one hand one battery 10" bar Makita for trimming
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
For a one time deal I would call a tree service. Otherwise a corded or cordless electric pole saw. No need to mess with fuel mix. You donโ€™t really want to be up a tall ladder cutting tree limbs of any significant size with a standard chain saw.