cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip Advice - Vancouver BC to Canyonlands UT

raztec
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip next week from Vancouver, BC to Canyonlands, UT and looking for advice on what route to take to really get away from it all without getting too off the beaten track and hitting rough terrain.

I've got a Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Diesel and Northstar Hard side camper and can go most places, but want to keep it safe as I've got a little 4 year old to come back home to.

I'm pretty adventurous and have done a ton of traveling and and will have an InReach satellite tracker with me. Truck is reliable and I'll have about 3 days water. Will likely be putting on a solar panel and extra battery too.

Would like info on what route to take that's very scenic and off the beaten path, places to stop on route, cool lakes to hang out for a while and swim, and photographing opportunities and classic hikes.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Raz
3 REPLIES 3

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Based on roads I've travelled, on different trips: You might just head South on the 5 through Washington and Oregon into California, and then exit the 5 around Highway 20 to travel Clear Lake and Napa, to reach the I-80. Head East on the 80 past Reno on a long lonely beautiful high desert drive to Salt Lake City. From Salt Lake it is the 15 or prefereably the 89 to Canyon Land. Just a thought, but there are so many options, all wonderful.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm assuming you are going there and back. If so, I'd go Canada 3 across lower BC and then cut into the US toward Glacier. From Glacier go along Wy by Yellowstone down to Canyonlands.

On the way back, head toward Crater Lake. Then, cutover to the Oregon Coast and follow it up by Astoria and along the Washington Coast

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
What is your time frame for the trip? It takes over 17 hours from where I am to get down to Moab.
I hate the I5 so if I can, I go down the coast. I head over Anacortes island and take the ferry to Port Townsand and then continue down the 101 either inland or coast and then cut across. This does add time, but is a more enjoyable drive.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.