Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip recommendation

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
My DW and I would want to take the TC down to the southern Oregon coast - lived in Oregon my whole life and have never been. 🙂 Here is what we would like to do, may be a tall order: we would like to find an RV park or nice campground within walking distance of the beach and town for restaurants etc. The ideal RV park or campground sites would not be too close together. Also, we would like to rent a car to take a day trip to the Redwoods. I know I could drop the camper but I don't want to mess with it on this trip. We are looking at the Brookings area or possibly Crescent City. Any recommendations on RV parks/campgrounds? Thanks
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L
13 REPLIES 13

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
Bradymydog wrote:
Check out the "Allstays" app. I use it almost exclusively. Tons of information on campgrounds of all types. - links to websites, reviews, photos, propane, dump stations, truck stops, low clearance, etc. Makes traveling without reservations easy. Includes everything from RV resorts to primitive free sites, including Wally World.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have used the Rec.gov app but this sounds more comprehensive.
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manfred wrote:
We plan to go in April or May so hopefully beat the crowds.

The crowd are there for whole year.
Covid made lot of hotel vacationers turning into RVers, so lot of camping spots are booked for months in advance.
If you don't have reservation, better have backup plan.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the "Allstays" app. I use it almost exclusively. Tons of information on campgrounds of all types. - links to websites, reviews, photos, propane, dump stations, truck stops, low clearance, etc. Makes traveling without reservations easy. Includes everything from RV resorts to primitive free sites, including Wally World.

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the suggestions. I read a good review about the KOA in Crescent City, the sites were not too jammed together. I also like the idea of Google Earth to see what the park or campground looks like. We plan to go in April or May so hopefully beat the crowds.
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Village Camper Inn, in Crescent City. The owners were very nice and accommodating.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Fleetwood had to be set with side "butt" touching tailgate opening on driver side. I made hardwood slider on the opening what would prevent metal scratching and give some guidance.
That still with practice did not add much time to loading.
We have several topics about camper loading. When 360 cameras are great helps, on older vehicles members have different tips how to line up camper.
Again, practice makes perfect.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
With some practice dropping off is 5 minutes, loading alone takes about 15.

Not for some of us. When loaded on center, I have 1/4" clearance between the left side of the tailgate opening and the bump out for the bath area of the camper. I typically load off center about 1" but after I still need to retune the positioning. If I owned a newer Chevy truck, the camper would not even fit.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In last 3 years we made couple transcontinental vacations and spending 8-9 weeks on the road we never made advanced reservations.
When I was planning next stop - I would go on google maps and after finding list of campgrounds, I would go to satellite mapping where lot of areas had 3D option who would allow you to "fly" over and actually see what you are getting.
Than sometimes you get nice surprise. Only beware of long weekends in prime locations who are sold out 6 month in advance, but having good internet you still can find a cancelation.
Having 6000 lb camper and dogs, I often preferred dropping the camper and leave it with AC running for dogs, when we would drive pickup for exploring the area, or dining.
With some practice dropping off is 5 minutes, loading alone takes about 15.
Than took me 3 years to figure out my Ford 360 cameras have trailer option who makes lining up a breeze.
Whole idea of having TC is avoiding car rental.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Avenue of the Giants
Take your camper with you. 😉
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you need to drop the camper in order to drive down the coast and visit the redwoods? I have been up and down the Pacific coast including Oregon and northern Cal and never once considered dropping the camper or regretted having it.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We like Redwood Meadows in Crescent City California - we have also stayed at the KOA there and liked it
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Harris Beach SP, Brookings, is wonderful and very popular which makes getting reservations difficult. The walk down the hill to the beach is fine, the walk back up the hill is a challenge for those of us more experienced in celebrating birthdays.

Beachside State Park, once it reopens, is as close as you can get to the sand. It is also closer to Newberg and makes for a nice drive.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honey Bear Campground and RV Resort in Brookings is ok by me but make your reservations in a hurry. This Summer will be busy on Oregon’s coast IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad