cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Attic - how much do you use?

Vic_R
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - "Attic" may be generous, but how much do you use the roof top racks and rear ladder on your truck camper? I was certain I was going to order a ladder and Yakima rails on my new camper, but now I'm having second thoughts on what I would actually put up here???
Hallmark Everest pop-up truck camper on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4wd, Aisin Auto, crew cab, short bed
40 REPLIES 40

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
sabconsulting wrote:
Hi DJ,

I've seen those telescoping ladders for sale - what do you think of it?

Steve.

Had it 4 years now. Works great.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DJ,

I've seen those telescoping ladders for sale - what do you think of it?

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PAThwacker wrote:
Yakima makes a roller attachment that can extend beyond the back of the trailer body rack. Slides back and uses yakima bars running north and south and attaches via bracket. Probably hard to manipulate without getting way up there. I solo load an 80lb canoe onto the roof of my k2500 using a roller that inserts into the rear hatch door slot. Securing the crafts is another challenge that you probably have to go up top there. On a popup tc, i'd use the system and strap an 8ft ladder to the back ladder.

My pop up does not have a ladder but I carry one of these.

Telesteps telescoping ladder
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Yakima makes a roller attachment that can extend beyond the back of the trailer body rack. Slides back and uses yakima bars running north and south and attaches via bracket. Probably hard to manipulate without getting way up there. I solo load an 80lb canoe onto the roof of my k2500 using a roller that inserts into the rear hatch door slot. Securing the crafts is another challenge that you probably have to go up top there. On a popup tc, i'd use the system and strap an 8ft ladder to the back ladder.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Vic_R
Explorer
Explorer
great thread folks - thanks for the thoughts. I ended up ordering the ladder and Yakima racks yesterday. I was this far into the new camper so I figured I would have the factory install for future use so the holes were in the right place and sealed correctly. We do kayak (tow them) and a canoe is on the list so no doubt I'll find a use for them.

Was talking to a neighbor who has a roof rack and he said he sticks his dirty laundry up there in a storage box. Not a bad idea ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks - Vic
Hallmark Everest pop-up truck camper on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4wd, Aisin Auto, crew cab, short bed

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the roof could be a good filter to prevent people from taking on more than they are capable.

If you are not able to get a 60 pound kayak down from a 11 or 12 foot roof, you probably should not be doing class 3,4 rapids.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
When I ordered my Bigfoot 9.6 back in 1998, I specifically ordered it without the ladder or roof rail. No reason to put a bunch of leaks (screw holes) in a nice, watertight, 1 piece fiberglass camper. But due to regulations, they had to install the ladder. The fire egress was through the cabover vent, and a ladder was required for it to be a legal egress. So I got a ladder whether I wanted it or not.

On the campers and motorhomes I have owned, the roof has been a very inconvenient place to carry anything. Every once in a Blue Moon, you need to get up there on the road for some reason and the ladder is useful.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK...I'll bite;

ckwjl wrote:

Storing items on the roof has worked well on our current TC and our previous Class C. ... We previously used it to store an electric leaf blower...

Travelling landscaper?
Vying for loudest camper in the next site?
Use it to inflate hot air balloon?

Don't keep us hanging...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
just a tip. unless you are running 19.s on a SRW and even then: just drop the jacks while you are up there if you are worried about your balance near the edge.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

ckwjl
Explorer
Explorer
A hot button with me is keeping the living space, especially the floor, clear of stuff while underway, and Iโ€™ve never been interested in storing items on the rear ladder.

Storing items on the roof has worked well on our current TC and our previous Class C. We have a Yakima 18 cubic foot cargo box and a gear basket mounted to our support rails. A blue tote tank is stored atop the gear basket and we use the cargo box to store outside chairs and fold-up table, beach umbrella, shovel, rake, extra towels, etc. We previously used it to store an electric leaf blower and small gas grill.

If I donโ€™t have a helper available, I use rope to raise and lower everything. Nothing touches my rubber roof except my knees, hands, and soft sole shoes.

Our unit does not handle differently with these items on the roof.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Like some life has krept up on me. 25 years ago I did store something on the roof, can't rememeber what it was. The ladders back then were 3/4 stock and scared me at 250#...so I mounted boxes on the back and was really happy. No more climbing. Later to access the roof I used the forward escape hatch much safer and got me to where I needed to be.

Now with the rebuild going on I am eliminating the racks and the ladder, no need, can't rememebr when I used the ladder to lash anything...so it is gone, eliminates holes in back wall and on roof, no sealing required ever.

Since I am installing a marine style escape hatch, it will even be better access if I need to go up there. Once when I was making a film in eastern WA at apple blossom time 25 plus years ago, I used the roof as a tripod platform, access the escape hatch... the TC being 11 feet high then adding the 6' of tripod it made for some great shots across the orchards. Don't think I'll be doing it that much any more. Besides eliminating the ladder opens the back wall for another box...maybe I'll have to put my propane tanks back there when I can't lift them any longer. Life kreeps up!

BTW, see sleepy's post on propane tanksTANKS and my boxes
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of bungee cords and you can store a few small rude children up there.

(wait...did I say that out loud?)
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
for us a roof rack and ladder has been a necessity...

surf boards, and body boards

solar panels

folding chairs, and a duffle bag with bike helmets/baseball stuff

child carrier, and more folding chairs
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads