cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper magazine and Host?

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
New to the truck camper world and still in the research stage for going from fifth wheel to a new truck and truck camper and have found truck camper magazine to be a great resource but wonder why there is no mention of host campers such as the mammoth anywhere on the site ? is there something going on between the magazine and Host ? It seems they review or write about every other manufacturer but Host ?
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
28 REPLIES 28

bjohns
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721, as usual, you nailed it. Thnx.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My observation is that a review by any source on any subject is of questionable value. I do not think Truck Camping Magazine any different than any other source of other products. If you want to know about features on a given TC, they may be a good resource. If you want to know about the negatives, I doubt Truck Camping Magazine would include them in their reviews. To be fair, I think this is true of most sources reviewing any product. If a real pro/con review is wanted, your best review is one that has customer input.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
TCM doesn't pretend to have a comprehensive list, but I'm sure a lot of new to the TC world don't realize that based on new folks posting here.

This might be true but in TCM's buyer guide on the website it lists brands. Maybe a disclaimer should be added that the brands listed do not represent all the manufacturers of truck campers just those associated with the magazine. I can't believe Outfitter, Host or Bigfoot has quality issues, disrespects TCM, nor does not want to grow as a business that would preclude TCM from listing them based on their FAQ's reject criteria.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

adamis
Nomad II
Nomad II
My own thoughts about TCM is that it is a small mom and pop type operation that has it's limitations on what it can be. You can't review what you don't have in front of you and Host and Bigfoot are in the smaller niche of the market and may not have the resources available to provide demo units for review. Could simply just be a matter of resources.

I don't believe there is a print edition at this time though I hope some day that might be possible. I'll take a look at back issues of "Trailer Life" magazine at my library on occasion but wish there was a printed version of TCM to browse instead. Yes I know it's available online but there are times that I prefer reading a printed magazine while relaxing outdoors in a shaded chair next to a creek instead of burning my eyeballs out staring at an electronic device.

Unless anyone can cite actual proof that TCM refuses to review campers from companies that don't advertise I think it would be better for us to not just assume the worse. TCM likely doesn't make a lot of money and we wouldn't want to risk it's demise because we had poor information. Since there are a few people who have actually met the owners, perhaps they might be able to offer some firsthand knowledge on the topic.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TCM doesn't pretend to have a comprehensive list, but I'm sure a lot of new to the TC world don't realize that based on new folks posting here. You can believe their reviews or not, but at most, they are only able to give their opinion based on their experiences and what they've seen.

Unbiased doesn't exist no matter what the topic or hobby. If you want more than one opinion on a particular Truck Camper, this is still the only site for that information where people share information freely with minimal moderation. No this site isn't perfect either, but it is way above second place.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us here consider Gordon and Angela personal friends, the publishers of Truck Camping Magazine. That is because they are the rare exception in the journalistic field, in that they actually live, work and recreate in the product that they write about. As well as only publish on Truck Campers.

This topic of TCM being supported by the industry and only write about what they are supported by, in advertising revenue, is baseless. To be honest when you don't see something written about a topic, in TCM, it is often because they don't support the product and or manufacturer. While it would be informative to have the negative too, sometimes that takes away the opportunity to provide praise in the products and manufacturers that truly deserve TCM's reviews and support.

Read whatever you wish, into the topic on Host and their products.

Here is a link in regards to this question, posted on the TCM Web Site;

Truck Camper Magazine FAQ Clicky

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kind of makes you wonder about the credibility of reviews.

I have never seen any mention about Outfitter campers in TCM either. When TCM lists truck camper brands it is not really all that complete.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Big_Rig1
Explorer
Explorer
I have never known them to be anything but credible. I have followed them from the beginning & they perform a fantastic service for the Truck Camping community. You can get reviews of campers & equipment, a section on how to match truck & camper, you can see the mods that other Truck Campers are doing and there are all kinds of surveys to see what folks think & how they are solving problems associated with Truck Camping. There are personal stories, etc. The list goes on. If you want go to a rally, they post the rallies submitted to them.
What a great resource it is for us. If you have a question about why they haven't covered a certain TC, go to their web site & find the contact button & send them an e-mail with your question instead of speculating about the reason. They are great folks, give them a break & talk directly to them.
Their magazine is also free to you, no charge!

Big Rig (John)
04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been wondering the same thing. Never a mention of Bigfoot, which seems right up their alley...no slides. They do seem very partial to certain brands and after market brands. That's fine if they're partial based on reviews. But they are like other magazines in that I never hear them say anything really bad in a review. Usually just little nit picky stuff. Sure makes me wonder about their credibility.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
Does truck camper magazine actually print a paper copy of their 'web blogs'? I have found over the years, their site to be subjective to who helps them out (financially to run the website) and on upgrades, accessories...etc. There are other sites out there and YouTube videos that do a great job

Bedlam
The best reviewer is yourself. Visit the factory, a high volume dealer who sells them or an RV show to set your eyes on them. I got some insight by going to the factory, but also like to visit the shows and dealers because you can compare different brands side by side and see where the quality exceeds or lacks others and what layouts and options work for you. There is not one camper for everybody, so the more models you see will give you an idea which one fits you and your lifestyle the best.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
They aren't an advertiser of TCM as far as I know. That makes them not exist on that site. That's similar to other sites, btw. Don't advertise ... Don't get a mention.
Kind of makes you wonder about the credibility of reviews.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
They aren't an advertiser of TCM as far as I know. That makes them not exist on that site. That's similar to other sites, btw. Don't advertise ... Don't get a mention.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion. I don't think they want to "buy" into a relationship of purchasing this type of advertising to help promote business. They tend to counter the typical builds of other manufacturers by going large and put innovation towards comfort in lieu of saving weight and off road capabilities.
Being discovered has a type of magnetic pull that is more linear than the typical camper shopping experience. Most of the comments posted here are about seeing one at a show or dealership and then the comparison. It's not a bad business plan if the quality matches the expectations.
There is an little write-up in the new Trailer Life Magazine in your mailbox yesterday. But it's not a review or comparison to other triple slides. It mentions base weight and options, dually truck required as well as tank capacities, king size bed options etc. So we know it will be heavy and base price is listed. I think the more you ask from this point on, the commitment towards this brand is a little stronger.
Again, just my 2 cents. I also visited the facility in Bend which in terms of a favorite hobby is "get the net".
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body