Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper meet-up at Overland Expo, Flagstaff, May

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

This has been hinted at a few times already, but here is the official invitation.

Overland Expo 2013 is being held at Mormon Lake, near Flagstaff, AZ from May 17 to 19.

I want to organise a truck-camper meet-up at the show. Last year we attended the European equivalent of this show in Germany and as well as being a fascinating show in its own right, it was great to see and spend time with the thousands of travellers with varied campers and overland vehicles that turned up and camped. So this year I think it would be great to have a truck camper meet-up in AZ.

Unfortunately we cannot bring our little truck camper along, since it is 5000 miles and an ocean away, but Sally and I will be coming in a rental B class camper we are picking up in Denver.

I've been talking to the show organisers and they have a basic camping field (no hook-up, but being TC owners I think we can cope with that :)) for $10 per night. They said they would love to have us come with our TCs and will set aside an area especially for us :B

I've been talking to a few of you already and so I know we've got a few takers, but I'd like to know who else would like to come. I'm not saying you need to commit 100% now, but I'd like to get an idea of the numbers involved so the show organisers know what size of area to set aside for us.

Hope to see you all in May to circle the wagons and get out the barbecues,

Steve & Sally.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
110 REPLIES 110

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking forward to the pictures and reports... sorry that we can't be there.

It sounds like this might be the "event of the century" for truck campers. It will certainly be hard to beat.

Thanks Steve for getting it all together.

Sleepy and Janet
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
dadwolf2 wrote:
Somebody needs to keep Mark busy while I swap over all of that beautiful suspension/front end work he did on his Dodge....

Hmmm... this is probably a bad time to admit my weakness for single malt Scotch :B
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

GalinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to show up with our S&S camper for one or two nights. Is someone going to have a sign so we know where you got your space and we can find you? I know their all allocated but I want to be able to locate y'all.
GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
We're still planning on getting there after a family gathering in West Texas. Hope we get everything done on the camper and nothing falls apart on the trip. Heh.

It's an Avion. They are fairly robust and I doubt that you will have any major problems. I look forward to meeting you there.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're still planning on getting there after a family gathering in West Texas. Hope we get everything done on the camper and nothing falls apart on the trip. Heh.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Coopincool wrote:
We'll plan on getting there sometime Thursday. Hitting the road tomorrow. Heading to Death Valley, wandering around AZ, attending the Vintage Camper Academy in Albuquerque the beginning of May, then up into the Utah Canyonlands and back down to Flagstaff from there. This will be are second major trip in our C11. Did four months and 13000 miles around the country last summer. But never saw another Avion camper. Looking forward to this. We're extending our original travel plans to add in Overland. I understand we found this thread late and spaces are already allocated. But we'll find some room somewhere in the field to squeeze in. See you there.

Guy and Nancy

LOL , I know what you mean . The last time I saw an Avion TC on the road , besides mine , was 30 years ago . Wish AZ were a bit closer , I'd be there . Have a great time all .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I will be arriving late Friday afternoon. I look forward to meeting all of you good folks.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Coopincool
Explorer
Explorer
We'll plan on getting there sometime Thursday. Hitting the road tomorrow. Heading to Death Valley, wandering around AZ, attending the Vintage Camper Academy in Albuquerque the beginning of May, then up into the Utah Canyonlands and back down to Flagstaff from there. This will be are second major trip in our C11. Did four months and 13000 miles around the country last summer. But never saw another Avion camper. Looking forward to this. We're extending our original travel plans to add in Overland. I understand we found this thread late and spaces are already allocated. But we'll find some room somewhere in the field to squeeze in. See you there.

Guy and Nancy

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to seeing the Avions.

And I'll need some help. Somebody needs to keep Mark busy while I swap over all of that beautiful suspension/front end work he did on his Dodge. Ok, all I'll really need is a drool rag. : )
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zack and I are departing from the west coast on the afternoon of Wednesday 5/15 and will be camping in the Barstow/Mojave area that night. We plan to get in to Mormon Lake mid-day on Thursday.
Anybody interested to caravan with us?
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Coopincool wrote:
Have a '68 C11. Will be traveling in the area during Overland. Would love to see other Avion campers ... never have. OK if we join in?

Where are y'all camping?

I hope you stop by. There should be at least a couple of Avions there.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Coopincool wrote:
Have a '68 C11. Will be traveling in the area during Overland. Would love to see other Avion campers ... never have. OK if we join in?

Where are y'all camping?

Hi,

We've been assigned an area in the corner of the camping field which we have allocated space to those who signed up a few months ago to ensure they can all camp together. I cannot guarantee anyone else space inside that area at the moment, but it might be we have some spare spaces on the day. However, our area is just one little corner of a large field and you and anyone else on the forum is very welcome to come and park next to our area as close as you can find space.

Now it could be that we find our little group is in fact an island of truck campers in an empty area of field and you and anyone else can come and park right next to us; or it might be that when you arrive you find our area is pretty much surrounded by other RVs, tents, motorcycles, etc. and you'll have to squeeze yourself as close to us as you can - we'll just have to see on the day, but we do have a couple of other very interesting Avions allocated space inside our area so you'll be able talk and compare notes.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Coopincool
Explorer
Explorer

Where are y'all camping?

GalinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to talk to DH into going to this. We went to Mormon Lake last year for the Arizona Trail. First, be aware there is no "lake". There's what's left of a lake bed. The camping areas are roomy and spread out and easy to walk to buildings. There is nothing in Mormon Lake except a very expensive gas pump and a teeny local store. The restaurant at the lodge is good, especially the apple cobbler.
The Arizona Trail runs through the area and there's hiking and lots of horseback riding nearby. Should be a fun gathering, hope to go!
GalinAZ
2011 Thor Majestic Class C 23A
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport toad

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Downloaded our on-line passes yesterday. Almost done with the repairs from the brutal beating the TC took on the Mojave Road. I hate to go out and work on it as every time I do I find more dents, desert pin striping, stuff ripped off, and rearranged outer parts.
regards, as always, jefe

I look forward to seeing you at the expo. Flagstaff is usually real nice that time of year.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper