Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper meet-up at Overland Expo, Flagstaff, May

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

This has been hinted at a few times already, but here is the official invitation.

Overland Expo 2013 is being held at Mormon Lake, near Flagstaff, AZ from May 17 to 19.

I want to organise a truck-camper meet-up at the show. Last year we attended the European equivalent of this show in Germany and as well as being a fascinating show in its own right, it was great to see and spend time with the thousands of travellers with varied campers and overland vehicles that turned up and camped. So this year I think it would be great to have a truck camper meet-up in AZ.

Unfortunately we cannot bring our little truck camper along, since it is 5000 miles and an ocean away, but Sally and I will be coming in a rental B class camper we are picking up in Denver.

I've been talking to the show organisers and they have a basic camping field (no hook-up, but being TC owners I think we can cope with that :)) for $10 per night. They said they would love to have us come with our TCs and will set aside an area especially for us :B

I've been talking to a few of you already and so I know we've got a few takers, but I'd like to know who else would like to come. I'm not saying you need to commit 100% now, but I'd like to get an idea of the numbers involved so the show organisers know what size of area to set aside for us.

Hope to see you all in May to circle the wagons and get out the barbecues,

Steve & Sally.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
110 REPLIES 110

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
btggraphix wrote:
We'll almost certainly be there. We may not have done any multi-continent trips but our rig has ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool!!! I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing what is probably the biggest, baddest truck camper combo on this forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
I played with the idea, but it's simply too much for me. โ‚ฌ800 per person for flight only. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel (DRW Crew cab Long bed)
Sonnax TQ and Sonnax 4R100 rebuild - 6.0 transmission cooler and OTW cooler.

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
aquawolfe wrote:
I would like to go. Are you setting up an area specific to truck campers or just showing up and trying to get together. I haven't been to an event like this. Looks fun and informative.

Hi aquawolfe,

I am setting up an area especially for truck campers from RV.net - more accurately I've been talking to the show organisers and they will set aside an area of the basic camping field for us. They just need Sally and I (or someone more local if I can find a volunteer :W) to hand over the site to on the Thursday morning at the start of the show. I've given them a rough idea of numbers and they are really happy to have us come along (at the end of the day it is more show visitors for them, plus we have some interesting rigs I'm sure other show attendees would be interested to see).

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
We'll almost certainly be there. We may not have done any multi-continent trips but our rig has ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

aquawolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to go. Are you setting up an area specific to truck campers or just showing up and trying to get together. I haven't been to an event like this. Looks fun and informative.

meatwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good time,and really close for me.
LINN
06 chevy xcsb 4x4 2500hd dur./allison(air bags,hellwig sway bar,front hitch receiver,reese titan & 24"ext.hitch,timbren fr. ses., bfg a/t 285/75 16"
13 lance 825(3 battery bank,honda 2500w. generator)
07 rhino/look 7x12 cargo tl.
95 stratus fish&ski

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Hi Steve:

(Vegas is only 3 hours and change from Flagstaff!).

Closer to 4-5 hrs to Mormon Lake depending on how many / long your pit stops are. I did make a wrong turn in Flagstaff last year though!! :S
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
sabconsulting wrote:
An Australian company (as you'll notice from the accent of the girl who narrates their intro video) who have expanded into the US with a location in Denver. They offer a class B based on a Ford E series van which is the ideal fit for us. They probably offer this since customers from Australia and Europe will be more used to renting this size of RV.

Steve,
Not really since most Australian if going across the US in a Motorhome "Convoy" package tour with others from here, rent a 30-33ft vehicle based on the E-Series.
Apollo has set up a RV Manufacturing business in the US to produce Caravans, 5th Wheelers and Class B Motorhomes for sale. Some of these i.e Caravans and 5th Wheelers will be exported back to Australia to compliment their local lineup.
Apollo's US Operation in the US is known as Talvor RV
Talvor US , Apollo's US RV's for sale.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Silver: We are actually taking over 2 weeks for the trip - Expo is just the weekend in the middle, so we have some time to explore the Rockies - hence the start in Denver. We might return via New Mexico - not sure yet. However, that is good information for anyone else looking to fly in and rent a small RV.

Hi Joevita: Hopefully there will be plenty there from outside of AZ too. Quarter horse - cool - don't know if the show organisers will quite be expecting that method of transport - guessing we won't have space for a corral :h

Hi Sstan: I recall discussing going last year - I was talking about it with Silver sat on his balcony in March, and I recall it being mentioned you were going - in the end my work travel got in the way - I think I needed to be in South Africa the same week.

Hi DJ: Haven't heard much from you recently. I love your rig and it would be great to see you if your back allows.

Cheers,

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been wanting to go to this show for some time now. Sounds like a good time to go!!!!

I will pencil it in. The only problem I may have is I am on a waiting list for back surgery thru the VA. I can go before the surgery but of course, not during or any time shortly after.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

sstan
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,

We're talking about going back again this year. Last year we did a few days in Moab on our way to Flagstaff but in the Jeep not the camper. Eric's right about the weather too. It sure got windy there last year but not bad except for the guy that got hit with the flying easy-up.

Steve

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
I am in. I have camped in that area with my horse several times and may bring him along as well. For those not familiar with the area, its relatively cool due to the altitude, shouldn't get rain as it is prior to monsoon season and it is a beautiful pine forest.

It will be fun to meet other Arizona Truck Campers.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Steve:

Apollo has a large facility in Vegas (Vegas is only 3 hours and change from Flagstaff!). Denver to Flagstaff is more than a day's drive (if you dead-head the drive with no sightseeing: about 1.2 days). Can you get a cheaper flight from London to Vegas?

You probably have to drop your Class B off where you picked it up (to save drop fees) ?
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
TurtleBax wrote:
Hello Steve & Sally,

Where and from Whom are you renting your Class B in Denver?

I live far away, and would have to fly in as well.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax

We actually wanted to rent a truck camper (for obvious reasons), but there was nothing available in the region. We really didn't want a 27ft x 8ft class C as we will want to be able to squeeze this little camper into tight spaces like we do with our TC. Cruiseamerica do a 19ft x 7ft class C, but it was more expensive than the regular 27ft one :S. In the end we found this:

Apollo RV

An Australian company (as you'll notice from the accent of the girl who narrates their intro video) who have expanded into the US with a location in Denver. They offer a class B based on a Ford E series van which is the ideal fit for us. They probably offer this since customers from Australia and Europe will be more used to renting this size of RV.

It may also be possible to fly into Phoenix and rent there - a bit closer, assuming the rentals aren't fully booked due to people renting and attending the show.

Anyway, if you go to the link above you'll know what vehicle to look out for in order to find Sally and I ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
seldomseensmith wrote:
Steve,

I won't be camping at the Expo (kind of silly since the darned thing is literally in my backyard) but I'm up for a show-up or a meet-down, or whatever. Last years event was definitely a worthwhile experience, with lots of interesting sights and sounds.

All participants, please be aware that the venue is located at about 7000 feet above sea level, and that spring weather here in Northern Arizona is notoriously fickle. Could be gorgeous, and it could be winter, or maybe even a little of both.

And in the unlikely event the great Whazoo is indisposed due to relocation or other factors, I would be happy to offer my services as guide/trip leader to one of the MANY outstanding destinations found in the area.

Thanks Eric, it would be great to meet the fabled 'Seldomseensmith' in person :B. Thanks also for the heads-up about the weather. And many thanks for the kind offer as a guide - your knowledge of the area is almost unparalleled. For those of you who aren't familiar, do check out "The journey of Seldomseensmith" blog - see the link on his signature.

Although he is moving to Colorado, Whazoo was hoping to come last time he and I communicated, before the sad loss of Bear. But with moving house, and being a state away, we will just have to keep our fingers crossed he can make it, as I'm sure he will have a lot of other things on his plate at the time. He will be greatly missed if not though.

Steve.
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2