cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck First Aid

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut has a excellent thread started for living things and I couldn't find a list in the stickies so I thought a vehicle first aid kit list would be a good idea. No one is saying you need all the stuff the list details so pick and choose. I will edit now and then to gather all suggestions in one place.

LED road flares or old school type.
Duct tape and bailing wire.
Diesel fuel filter.
Bottle jack
Lug wrench
Air compressor
Chains
Flashlight
Pliers
Goop
Brake cleaner
Hand towels
Overalls
Good Sam ERS card
Eterna Bond tape
Red thread lock
Serpentine belt
Cash
LED head lamp
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
15 REPLIES 15

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
A shotgun, I may get really mad at my truck when it needs First Aid but so far not mad enough to shoot it. Lol Besides, I think I could kill it with just a book o matches, much less space needed to carry.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

BigBlockFord
Explorer
Explorer
hand tools, belts, bottle jack, flares, rad.hose splice kit, 25' recovery strap, tire plugs, chains, AAA card, 2x set of fuses... The latter saved day while antelope hunting (1 hour by dirt road to pavement) when we couldn't get the rig out of park. The cause? A blown 25 cent fuse.

BBF
1995 F350, 4x4, CC, 460, E4OD w/ Banks PowerPak & TransCommand, factory LS & F/R sway bars, 08+SD finned DC, 9000XL's, airbags
2011 AF990, 2-GRP 27's, 320W Solar, SS-Duo

joe123
Explorer
Explorer
spot for real emergency,never leave home on a trip without it,and all the other necessary gear.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
bcaa roadside assist card,all my winching gear,small flashlight,shotgun and a shovel and pick.if bcaa can't help its because i'm waaay in the bush,and its walkin time.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Adding a LED head lamp to the list. Before I got smart and got a FASS I had to change two lift pumps in dark parking lots. The lamp made it soo much easier to do.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
pjay9 wrote:
How about a roll of that fix anything tape! Saw it at Tac RV show...still don't have any...does anyone use it?

Eterna Bond Tape.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
How about a roll of that fix anything tape! Saw it at Tac RV show...still don't have any...does anyone use it?
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Off road boondocking types will obviously need a more complete rescue kit than those who seldom leave the highway, state parks, rv parks type of travel.
I recently needed to replace a fuel pump inside a 34 gallon fuel tank. Fortunately I had a friend with me who lived only 50 miles away just out of the forest. You can plan for a lot of stuff but not this fix. We needed 5-5 gallon cans to siphon all the fuel into before we could even think to do the job of removing the tank and replacing the internal fuel pump after about 150 miles total driving to get tools and parts.
I bring a set of metric and standard tools, wrenches and sockets plus a bunch of other more specialty tools that I've accumulated over the years fixing the little surprises as the occur. Bottle jack is handy, an aluminum floor jack is better. If I need additional lift, there are the wheel blocks and ramps in the TC.
Some things you can plan for but the job may be just too big for in the field. You can't haul an entire parts crib with you so you have to pick your battles.

Make sure your radiator hoses are good, not too old, especially if you go miles out into the boonies.
Check your spare tire. Be sure it's of the proper load rating and in usable condition.
I just installed new shocks and inspected the underside for anything lose, rubbing, come apart, missing.
I just installed new disc brake pads, all 4 wheels.
One thing I do carry is a spark plug blow out retrofit repair seat, high temp red thread lock, and the H1 or whatever special spark plug for the repair.
I carry my old serpentine fan belt as a spare. I should carry a spare tension roller since that has gone out unexpectedly before.

Another thing to have is an emergency couple hundred dollars cash for those unknown situations.

Plan ahead and fix it before it needs fixing. Preventative maintenance has it's advantages.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great information, and food for thought. Hopefully, all of those things for emergencies are a wast of time. I am thankful I have several fire extinguishers and never needed one. I have them for the one time I do need one.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Steelhog
Explorer
Explorer
In spite of living in Alabama for twenty years I can't get over the jumper cables, space blanket, tow rope and folding shovel habit. Cell phone charger (and phone). Paper towels can substitute for almost any "tissue" product and even coffee filters. Zip ties, an assortment of fuses and light bulbs. Sealed beam headlights were too big to carry but now having a spare headlight bulb is easy. Battery terminal cleaner.

I'm guessing most of us carry a fairly complete tool kit but a couple pair of small needle nose Vise-Grips are very handy pinching off almost any hose while a field repair is made or an inline filter is changed. If you have a friend in the HVAC industry talk them out of a short roll of good aluminum plenum tape. Sticks to almost anything, broad temperature range and will seal a puncture/leak in camper/trailer siding.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, does a auto club "save my butt" card qualify as first aid?

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam ERS card.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
I also carry in my tool kit a couple of old small cotton hand towels for greasy hands and truck parts.Also an old pair of coveralls.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Goop (or equiv.) hand cleaner and a can of brake cleaner.