cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Prices & Mileage

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting to look at used trucks in order to pull a 5th wheel (don't have the 5th wheel yet). Will be looking at used, gas, 3/4 ton. I have never owned a truck before. I live in upstate NY. I can't believe the prices for trucks. And then there's the mileage on them. A couple I have seen were 2 to 3 years old and they had 50,000 to 80,000 miles on them.

Is this typical for a truck to have that many miles on them?
40 REPLIES 40

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
smurfs_of_war wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
100,000 miles on a gasoline engine, and they are ready for an over-haul.

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

Correct!! I still can't believe that people still think this.... truth is both engines if taken care of will outlast the truck that there installed in.... the key is maintaining both engines.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Engines HAVE to last more than a 100k miles these days. If they didn't, a lot of people would be paying on vehicles they no longer used.

My truck is currently at 70k and gives every indication that it is new.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
remdog*1 wrote:
It may sound backwards but I purchased my 5th wheel first. I paid attention to GVW on it, then I purchased a truck for the weight. Most people limit themselves to the truck they have. I picked out my dream camper and then got truck to pull it.

You are a smart man, not backward at all ๐Ÿ˜‰

x2, this is the best path.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We traded our 2003 GMC 6.0L w/3:73RE with 215,000 miles - on a 2015 GM 6.0L w/4:10 ... and the six speed is awesome with that 4:10 ...

Not because the engine was worn out, it still fired up with one crank and burned almost ZERO oil between changes. It was other components that made us trade, in part because we were beginning a six-months tour of the country, and didn't want to take chances with problems on the road.

That 6.0L gas engine is a true workhorse ... and my choice every time I'd buy a truck. We haul a 3000+ lb truck camper on it, and sometimes tow a bike trailer. Lots of miles, minimal problems over twelve years.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
My dad used to correct me when I called it a 'motor.' He'd say, motors are things with armatures that run on electricity; that thing under the hood is an engine!

We have the same dad?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
100,000 miles on a gasoline engine, and they are ready for an over-haul.

Maybe back in the 60's or 70's. 100k on a gas engine now is no sweat. Welcome to the 21st century, your tour guide should be here shortly.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
remdog*1 wrote:
It may sound backwards but I purchased my 5th wheel first. I paid attention to GVW on it, then I purchased a truck for the weight. Most people limit themselves to the truck they have. I picked out my dream camper and then got truck to pull it.

That's exactly what I did. Bought the 5th wheel and then bought a truck to match.

Good used trucks with low miles bring a premium. When I started looking last year I got a bad case of sticker shock.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My dad used to correct me when I called it a 'motor.' He'd say, motors are things with armatures that run on electricity; that thing under the hood is an engine!

Gassers really do last nowadays. I put 240K on an '89 minivan. And I have 205K on a 2000 model year SUV. Engines are better, gas is refined better, and lubricants are better than in bygone days.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Starting to look at used trucks in order to pull a 5th wheel (don't have the 5th wheel yet). Will be looking at used, gas, 3/4 ton. I have never owned a truck before. I live in upstate NY. I can't believe the prices for trucks. And then there's the mileage on them. A couple I have seen were 2 to 3 years old and they had 50,000 to 80,000 miles on them.

Is this typical for a truck to have that many miles on them?

I don't know if it would help, or you're willing to drive but here in Texas, there are literally thousands of trucks for sale, since of course they are the preferred mode of transportation for even those that have no need for one.

They might have some miles on them because destinations can be a distance sometimes, but he don't have to deal with rust. When I was in the car business years ago, I had several people come from northern states due to more availability.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
You/we need to know some details about the fifth wheel you plan on buying before you decide on a truck - especially if you're looking at 3/4-ton trucks.
Rob

I am by myself so not looking for a large 5th wheel. Something in the 10,000 lb GVWR range will do fine for me.

You're thinking right. I've been casually looking for a new(er) truck for a while now and have seen the same as you. With the good economy, cheap (relatively) fuel resale prices are really high. Around here, used 1-2 year old trucks with low miles are going for what you can buy new from a big discount dealer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I don't own or need a truck so this is just a comment. I know diesels are supposed to last longer. But is the rest of the truck besides the motor really any different or better. Hundreds of non-motor parts can fail? Also, gas motors don't really wear out much now anyway do they?

You are 100% correct. All things equal, I still believe the internals of a diesel will outlast the gasser, but with good maintenance, both should still likely be running when the truck is a nothing but a bucket of bolts left around it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
remdog*1 wrote:

You are a smart man, not backward at all ๐Ÿ˜‰
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
The only time truck prices are down or " cheep " is if you're selling one.

when it's time to buy the prices are very high.

with you wanting a gas truck you should be able to find one in a fairly good price range.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks always seem to have a higher resale ..... you can pay 1000 for a rust bucket held together with bailing wire and someone will buy it. I have 2004 F250 CC V10 with 115k and love it it runs good only issue is the rear wheelwells are rusting away typical in the Midwest. My cousin drives a 2006 Avalanche and he just turned over 400k!!! The only issue he said he's starting to have is the electronics so today's gas motors can last with proper maintenance like he has done. My truck is worth almost 8500 as is they just hold their values.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer