cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Suspension

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi and the truck rides rough. It has coils for the suspension and my question is should I add bilstein shocks or something to soften the ride or is this not recommended because it is a heavy duty truck.
14 REPLIES 14

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2500 with the 6.4 and 10K GVW rating. I think it rides pretty well. It's a 4X4 so that straight front axle lets you know it's there once in a while.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
Shock absorbers are designed to primarily control the rebound of the suspension, they cannot make the ride softer.

You want a truck to ride softer, put some weight in it. In the meantime you might want to lower the tire PSI a tad.

I agree. They may take just a little bit more of the bounce out and make it feel a little softer but, they will not help too much.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Amazon fit guide the 4WD part numbers you listed fit my 2015 2500 CC 5.7 w/ 4 spring suspension (and 2014) To the OP, from what I have read your best bet(when using as an empty daily driver) is to ask dealer to reprogram the TPSM tolerances range to 50-80 and then drop to 55psi all around when not towing.

That's my plan and I've read that it improves ride and tire wear greatly. True the RAM 2500 is an HD work truck designed to haul but I'm guess you, like me, don't have luxury of owing a 40-50k truck just for hauling the camper a few times per year, my TV is my daily driver too. RAM set the tire pressure specifications based on frequent hauling but if you run empty most of the time you will end up with excessive center tread wear.

Good luck.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Community Alumni
Not applicable
SgtMark wrote:
Bilstein shocks, the heavy duty ones will not fit on your truck I have a 2014 Ram and I purchased a set the mounting bracket on top of the shock is to large. I purchase a set of air lift air bags that you place inside your springs, then air them up to desired stiffness. I love mine stiffened up the rear end and leveled the truck and trailer out better. Just my two cents LOL

Part numbers 24-186063 and 24-186087 for 2wd and Part numbers 24-240390 and 24-239462 for 4wd don't fit? They are direct replacements for the factory shocks.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
The 2500 is a tow beast and thus the reason why buying more truck than one needs has consequences. If you know your requirements will be within the capabilities of the 1500 series go for the 4 corner air suspension. It is simply amazing. I can't explain how well it handles a full load and the ride empty is smoother than our 300c.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trucks are work vehicles, even the much maligned half tons often see heavy service.

Stepping up to a 3/4 or one ton you are buying a beefier unit, heavier suspension, LT tires and a host of other item provide greater working capacity.

Comfort is a secondary concern, left to aftermarket devices.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the insight. This is my first truck and TT. We had a Class C for a number of years and this new set up is new for us.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same truck and indeed it does ride a bit rough unloaded. The Dodge coil spring rear suspension (in fact front too) has GAS shocks on it from the factory. While the Bilstiens might be a bit better I dont think you will see much define-able difference.

There is also a Gas shock mounted on the differential to the frame to damp out axle "wind up".

This is the heaviest and most advanced of the 250/2500 series truck suspensions and I think when you buy a 2500 series truck you should expect a harsher ride. But mine is not all that bad unloaded and I dont notice it anymore.

I keep my tires at the factory setting and what the tpms system is set for: 70 front 80 rear.

Where this truck really shines is when you are towing. It handles really well and I am not sure I would sacrifice that for a wee bit more softer ride.

SgtMark
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein shocks, the heavy duty ones will not fit on your truck I have a 2014 Ram and I purchased a set the mounting bracket on top of the shock is to large. I purchase a set of air lift air bags that you place inside your springs, then air them up to desired stiffness. I love mine stiffened up the rear end and leveled the truck and trailer out better. Just my two cents LOL

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You can install Bilsteins just fine on your 2500. Bilsteins might help, but more than likely it will not cure your problem completely. The shocks are only one component of the suspension that control how the truck rides. If it's riding rough while lightly loaded then try adjusting your air pressure to suit your comfort level.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Shock absorbers are designed to primarily control the rebound of the suspension, they cannot make the ride softer.

You want a truck to ride softer, put some weight in it. In the meantime you might want to lower the tire PSI a tad.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD megacab with Bilstien 4600 shocks front and rear and Firestone airbags on the rear. I run 55 psi front 65psi rear unloaded. When pulling our 39' 5ver approx 13.5k lbs I run 60 psi front 75 psi rear with 50 psi in airbags. The loaded ride is level and great but empty not towing is really not so great. I think you are better off with a stiff unloaded ride and a smooth loaded ride.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What psi are you running in the rear tires.? It's possible they're aired up too high. I run 45r and 65f in my 2500 CTD. Not 1/2 ton soft but about as good as I can do. I do have Bilsteins too.

RBPerry
Explorer
Explorer
I think that would depend on how much of a load you normally carry? If you will be carrying heavy loads at times you might be real unhappy with a soft shock. Personally I would prefer a stiffer ride and have the truck handle well when loaded.