cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Tires - I Want Good Ones

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford F-350 dually and am going through front tires at a ridiculous rate. I have less that 40k miles on the truck and am almost through the second pair. This last pair, same brand, won't make it 10k.

Part of it we found out is the dealership installed them a little off causing quicker wear and they are giving me like $400 bucks off my next set.

Also of note is I do rotate them and keep them properly inflated. Truck is my daily driver. Fifth-wheel towing is maybe 2k miles per year.

Anyway, recommendations on a quality truck tire. I tow a 15k pound fifth-wheel.
62 REPLIES 62

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I had good luck with Kumho tires on my old Ram 3500.
Yes, they were M&S traction tires.
Yes, it rode like a truck.
Maybe that's because it WAS a TRUCK!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
I've read nothing but good reviews on Toyo Open country AT2's, i'm about due for a set myself and might just try them out.
a
I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW last week. The previous owner had mud tires on it, which made it ride like ****. I just put Toyo AT2 tires on it based on the good reviews AND the 50,000 mile tread warranty.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
I've read nothing but good reviews on Toyo Open country AT2's, i'm about due for a set myself and might just try them out.

X2 on that

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have 24000 miles on our Michelin LTX MS2 tires and not much different than new for looks and wear but still not thinking I would buy them again. The reason is my friend is getting cracking on his 2nd set of this tire that is newer than ours but maybe more miles on his. We will see but at this time I am happy.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

The_LeRoys
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Michelin LTX MS2 tires, but make sure your alignment and everything is right first. They last forever if everything is setup correctly!

I had one set go 80K miles and still have tread left but they were starting to show dryrot and were 6 years old.
Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
majorgator wrote:
We can discuss truck tires from now till eternity, and they'll be as many differing opinions as there are tire options available. Do Michelins last 20K miles or 100K miles? Will Toyo AT tires outperform Transforce AT tires?

Truth is that each tire will wear differently based on the actual conditions being used. Do you drive in hot conditions or cold conditions? Do you maintain proper pressure on all tires? Having one front tire out of spec will affect the other tire. Is alignment always maintained? How about rotation? Do you drive fast or slow? Do you tow heavy or light or rarely?

There are just too many factors that determine actual tire wear. That's why I was getting 70K miles out of my Dueler Revo AT's on the 1/2 ton gasser, but will only get around 50K miles on my 1 ton SRW PSD. I drive/drove both vehicles differently (and used them for specifically different purposes) so I shouldn't expect them to wear the same.

ALL good points. BUT, if as some of us have given a SWAG on, if the front end is not in alignment, or has worn or incorrectly installed parts. EVEN IF the OP buys tires perfect for his use, he will not get good mileage out of the tires he buys.

OH, I'm some 40K on a set of Transforce HT tires on my work van, I'm not but half way worn down. A LOT of interstate freeway miles.

My pickups have always done more city driving, hence, they get about half the mileage of everyone else I know doing hwy miles with the same tires........So what works for me, will not work for someone else etc.

marty

Same tire on my 2014 Ram 3500, they are over half worn, but unlike you just turned over 14K, will never see even 40K, as said before, will be delighted to see 25K.

My truck is not a daily driver, its either on the highway towing or going to a fishing location ,pretty much all highway miles. Pretty crazy the big difference ,same tire ,and the big difference in performance.

blt2ski
majorgator wrote:
We can discuss truck tires from now till eternity, and they'll be as many differing opinions as there are tire options available. Do Michelins last 20K miles or 100K miles? Will Toyo AT tires outperform Transforce AT tires?

Truth is that each tire will wear differently based on the actual conditions being used. Do you drive in hot conditions or cold conditions? Do you maintain proper pressure on all tires? Having one front tire out of spec will affect the other tire. Is alignment always maintained? How about rotation? Do you drive fast or slow? Do you tow heavy or light or rarely?

There are just too many factors that determine actual tire wear. That's why I was getting 70K miles out of my Dueler Revo AT's on the 1/2 ton gasser, but will only get around 50K miles on my 1 ton SRW PSD. I drive/drove both vehicles differently (and used them for specifically different purposes) so I shouldn't expect them to wear the same.

ALL good points. BUT, if as some of us have given a SWAG on, if the front end is not in alignment, or has worn or incorrectly installed parts. EVEN IF the OP buys tires perfect for his use, he will not get good mileage out of the tires he buys.

OH, I'm some 40K on a set of Transforce HT tires on my work van, I'm not but half way worn down. A LOT of interstate freeway miles.

My pickups have always done more city driving, hence, they get about half the mileage of everyone else I know doing hwy miles with the same tires........So what works for me, will not work for someone else etc.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
LOL
Now Troy is going to rag on you for buying imported beer :E I'll have to check but I believe my Cummins, Michelin and Weber Baby Q are all made in the USA..... Just trying to comply to Troy's wishes :B I think the Fantastic Vent covers are imported tho.

Blue Moon and Pyramid Hefeweizen are up there also. Yes the fantastic Vent covers are US Made.

I try but sometimes I fail on the US Made thingy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer

SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

I would hope people would buy products made in the USA when they're available. Having said that some just kick the can down the road.

Buying only things made in the USA sure would save us all a lot of money! But then again we would not have much! Ford Trucks without a diesel engine manufactured in Mexico. NO Taco RAMs! How many of the GM are made in Silao, Mexic? NO TV's, washers or dryers, no smart phones or computers, on and on! We grow corn for fuel and import food products??? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
LOL
Now Troy is going to rag on you for buying imported beer :E I'll have to check but I believe my Cummins, Michelin and Weber Baby Q are all made in the USA..... Just trying to comply to Troy's wishes :B I think the Fantastic Vent covers are imported tho.

I would hope people would buy products made in the USA when they're available. Having said that some just kick the can down the road.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
LOL
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Where have you been on this forum with the reports of the Michelins ,and weather checking etc. Pictures have been posted." I have read a lot about this but never have I seen it in person, like I said my experience is just the opposite.

The Michelins had little towing but the BFG's did have several thousand on them. I did a lot of freeway driving in my career at least 1,000,000 miles.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD