cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT - how long is too long ?

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at some new (and used) trailers...saw a couple the other day that were 39 feet long ??? I know 5th wheels regularily pull 40+ foot trailers but wasn't aware of TT that long. For that matter, had always assumed 30 footers were somewhat pushing the envelope for length on a TT...

I would be towing with a 1 ton SRW diesel.

So, is 30 foot OK ? 35 ? 40 ?

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
My last 3 TT's (including our current one) were all right at 35 feet, and I don't have any issues. Sure, to someone who tows a 20 footer it would seem huge, especially when it's being our Excursion, but if I put my wife, 6 kids, and 2 dogs into a 20 footer there'd likely be a fatality and everyone might not come home ;). You've got to find the right combination for you.

I find bigger trailers (my very 1st was a 23 footer, so I've towed all sizes) are more stable, but obviously take up more room.

With practice (and patience) , 30-35 feet isn't a problem. However if it was a Los just my wife and I I wouldn't nend as big of a rig. I like looking at my feet per person ratio rather than just overall length - especially when the kids bring a friend or two. Of course I also don't mind "voting a few off the island" and putting them in a tent.
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 24' to a 35' three years ago. Although the newer camper was longer and heavier, the tow itself is actually equal or better to the smaller camper. I attribute that to the fact that we insisted on an Equalizer hitch for the longer camper. Prior to that, we were using a "cheap-o"
chain / friction anti sway with the older camper. I think some underestimate how important spending a few extra bucks on a good hitch can make.

Most campgrounds we visit accommodate the extra 11 feet so it's really no big deal.

BTW, we tow with a 2010 F150 crew cab with the 5.4 motor.

Good luck
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 35 foot long Jayco with a 2002 Ford Excursion. This combo is set up right. Never had a problem backing into campgrounds. What I do is look at the campground and see what the measurements are for the lots and back it in. Never had a problem. The only campground that was real close was when we went to Brantley state park in Carlsbad New Mexico. The back bumper was at the end of the lot and the front hitch was right at the road. When made reservation I called them and talked to a person and told them what I had and was told NO PROBLEM. we did it and we had a good time there.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody's personal comfort level will be different. We are currently towing a tt that is nearly 35'. I'm comfortable with it but it does take more thought and pre planning for trips and severely limits us on the number of sites we fit in. Never had problems with our old TTs under 30'.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
This year we upgraded from a 29.5' no slide jayco to a 36.5' keystone hideout with two slides. Huge difference in size, weight(2500#) and towing.Same floor plan as Mr. aclay. We have been looking for this floor plan for a while - we got it and love it.

And yes, there are some changes in our camping habits; we are more selective on where we go and park do to the difference in size.
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW
2016 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS
Blue Ox sway pro, Stromberg Carlson A-frame cargo tray CC-255

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35' Sprinter 311 Bunkhouse, I tow with a 3500 SRW Duramax. I have no problems with weight. Where we run into issues is finding spots that fit. We favor state parks, and I have to be very picky about what spots we reserve. Once it's set up, we love it, it has everything. It just takes a little more planning and a little more maneuvering to get it into places. Once my kids stop going with us we'll likely go down to something in the 30' range.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
It's just different for everyone. Where do have to park it when not using it? Where do you want to take to use it?

Also, watch out when people advertise lengths. Some will list the brochure length which usually excludes the tongue and bumper while others will list the true length. And most importantly, don't trust what anyone advertises. Take a tape measure with you.

I was in a 31' (bumper to ball) TT and needed something bigger. Looking at the 35+ footers I realized they are just too long for where I park and how I use it. I went with a 36' 5th wheel that is only about 1-2 feet longer behind my truck than my TT. There are tons of pros/cons between 5th & TT. I absolutely labored over the decision for months before finally going for the 5th.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went from a 20' to 29' TT (overall length). With the short TT I could drive up and down lanes in a Walmart parking lot. Now I have to park at the farthest corner of a lot away from other vehicles. Backing into sites is harder. We've just ordered a Garmin RV 760LMT GPS with backup camera that will help.

One thing that made a big difference was the wheelbase of the F250 we bought to tow the longer trailer. Used have a regular cab F150 and now have a super cab (and long box) that makes the wheelbase nearly 2' longer. Much more of a challenge to get around tighter corners. Even without the TT hooked up, the longer truck is harder to drive around town. But the longer wheelbase does help handling & sway. I'd recommend a longer wheelbase TV for a long TT and a 3/4 or 1 ton.

When I am backing up the longer trailer by myself into a CG site, I have to take it slow and get out and check often. When DW is with me, we have worked out hand signals that make backing up a lot easier.

I would imagine getting in and out of gas stations would be more of a challenge with a long TT and you could end up driving by a lot of them before finding one that will work. With a longer TT you'd want to take even more time and effort to make sure your WDH setup is optimized, tire pressure is correct, etc.

With a long TT, that's a lot of surface area to wash & wash... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
From my perspective, it's less about the overall length of the trailer and more about the floor plan that fits how you anticipate using the trailer. Will you be weekends only? Weekends with a week to 10 day trip now & then. Extended trips of 3 weeks or more? Answer that question first - envision how you plan to use the unit. The suggestion that you rent one you think may be "the one" for you is an excellent idea.

After we decided on the floorpan, then we went with the trailer that was the shortest and lightest unit that would get the job done. We've been perfectly happy with the results for 16 years. At 28' with no slides and the need for only 30 amp service, there are very few campsites that we cannot use, and we don't provide entertainment for campground rubber-neckers who like to watch somebody try to park a gargantuan rig. JMHO

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 35 ft 8200 lb trailer with an 2014 F250. Does the job well. Just my personal preference but why do people still use the old half ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton designations. They mean nothing today. Why not use what is labelled in the truck?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it is more about the locations I am looking to be able to get into. Most RV parks are not the issue, although some will have length limitations and/or limited on spaces that will accommodate the longer trailers. I want to be able to get into areas in the CO high country, no RV park, and tighter switch-back roads are a no-go even with my TT at 30', point to bumper. There are also some passes that I would take my 30' TT over but would not consider a 35'/40'. Again, all depends on your 'wants'.

Remember to keep in mind that a trailer/truck combo of a 40' 5th is shorter than a 40' TT when towing... using the same truck.
I love me some land yachting

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
When towing or backing in, they all seem too long.

When inside them, they all seem too short.

I regularly see lots of 30'+ bumper pulls behind a myriad of different trucks. Good luck.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Anything over 22 feet to us is GIANT. Just the two of us and a nice small trailer is easy to pull, park, setup, and the best part we paid cash for it.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
The confusing part of this puzzle is that laws regarding length & width vary from one state to the next. My friend has a fiver toy hauler that is titled at 40 but in reality is closer to 42. IMHO bigger is seldom better. Many trailers I see are simply bigger. Not really using the extra space for anything. For me I will go small with a good use of space. Happy Trails
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)