cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Lengths

msm210
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering a new TT and I have a question regarding the lengths I’m seeing advertised. Is the advertised length the living quarters length or the overall length?

We rented a trailer in upper Michigan a couple weeks ago that didn’t turn out too well but we going to give it a couple more outings to confirm this is what we’d like to do.

We currently own a 2017 F150 CC with 5.0L V8 that has 2009lbs payload capacity. Looking for a trailer in the 22-25’ length and gross loaded weight of around 7K lbs. Like the Grand Design Imagine series as from my research, they have a better rating than most but I understand there will be issues with any trailer.

Thanks for any help/thoughts you can share.
Mike
21 REPLIES 21

msm210
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
msm210 wrote:

We rented a trailer in upper Michigan a couple weeks ago that didn’t turn out too well but we going to give it a couple more outings to confirm this is what we’d like to do.

Oh please do elaborate! :@

...I have my popcorn ready 🙂

Rented a trailer through Outdoorsy; 25’ Palamino Puma in the Traverse City area. Decent trailer, but when it was delivered, I told the owner I wanted to be there to observe the set-up process and ask questions.

First off, he brought NOTHING to level out the trailer size to side. Worked for over an hour backing it up trying to find the most level part of the lot. Struggled quite a bit, then started saying he needed to get going to throw some ribs on the smoker. Finally told him he wasn’t leaving till the trailer was level - period! Tried to level it out by using the electronic stabilizer jacks and destroyed one in the rear. Finally got it very close to level and we agreed it would work.

It got cold the second night and the propane tank ran out in the middle of the night. Wife NOT happy as this was our maiden trip to see if this is something we wanted to do and purchase our own. The second propane tank was turned off so that was an easy fix. Notified the owner by text of the issue and he basically didn’t care.

The owner bragged about the 55” TV he put in it but didn’t have any cables to hook up the TV from the hook-up to the trailer or the inside connection to the TV. We purchased 2 cables and couldn’t’ get the TV working no matter what we tried. Notified him of what we bought, tried, without any success, and again, didn’t feel like he cared about our dissatisfaction.

We rented this trailer for 3 nights at $140 per night plus the campground fees, so close to $200 per night. Also surprised there was no plates/utensils/ pots or pans, so we had to buy a few things to get by and/or eat out in town.

For our first attempt at trying a new adventure and potential purchase, it left a negative impression. We’re going to do it again at least 2-3 more times and believe these will be more positive experiences.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
msm210 wrote:

Oh please do elaborate! :@

...I have my popcorn ready 🙂

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, my 16BHS has a 16’ floor, with rounded front is 18’, true length is 21’5”.
My SIL’s toy hauler 4 digit number appears to be floor length in feet plus first two digits of GVWR.
Boats are just as bad. AMF Bayliners rounded up to the nearest foot (15’8” became 160), Sea Rays rounded down (16’10” also was a 160). Hence, one seemed more luxurious compared to the other but without a tape measure or detailed specs, since they were rarely side by side, you didn’t know exactly why. THAT sales slight of hand may have some bearing on RV nomenclature.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
When you find ones you like look up the specs on the MFG web site. That will show you the true OAL. Generally the higher the model number the longer it is, so when looking around thats a starting point.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - as you've seen - no consistency. Ours is an 8312SS. Tell me what that has to do with size! For a while I thought it reflected width, box length and number of slides, but comparing it to other models shot that theory in the rear.

Specs are your friend. Box length can sometimes be inferred by the model number, but the specs are fairly consistently a total length (bumper to coupler). Based on the style of trailer, you can estimate the box length from there).

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
When I was looking at TTs, I lit up on a floorplan that was basically a 19' box length. The model I ended up with was a Rockwood 2109S - same size as the others, but the 2109 designates the overall length of my trailer. I almost ignored it, assuming it was 2' longer than what I wanted....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
It's very confusing to the buyers as to how the mfr list their models.

My son bought a 2020 25' Coleman model but the cabin itself is only 20' at best.

I have a 25' R-Vision model but from coupler to bumper is 30'.

For potential buyers, bring a measuring tape measure with you so don't take the salesman's word. LOL

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's all over the board with no rhyme nor reason.

We just bought a 22RR...the box is 25ft and the overall length is 28ft.

If you look in the brouchers, typically they do provide an overall length figure, which does seem to be hitch to rear bumper pretty consistently.

Of course, in most cases the exact length isn't critical. If you compare an 18ft to a 32ft, it's a big difference but it will also be obvious. If you compare a 26ft to a 28ft, you are probably better off seeing them in person to get a feel. If the 26ft is well laid out, it may be more comfortable than the 28ft.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My “31” trailer has a box that is 35’ long and an overall length of 38’.

It did end causing me to pour another slab to extend the driveway, but I don’t mind the understated length since Oregon charges TT registration by the foot, but they generally just go by model number rather than actual length.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Cherokee TT was a 32B the box length was 31ft 6in and total length was 35. Our MH is a 350 TS (Triple Slide) total length is 36ft 6in.

FWIW, whatever length TT you think you want add 3-4 feet because that will be what you end up trading it in on in a year or 2!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

msm210
Explorer
Explorer
So it’s safe to say there is no continuity within the industry. I thought maybe I was misunderstanding what the model numbers were representative of, but I’ll need to do more homework on specific brands/models of interest that my F150 can tow safely. Grand Design Imagine has my interest more than most of the other brands at this time.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
And for my trailer the model number is the square footage. Go figure..
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturer’s practices vary on model names/numbers. You have to do your homework: check the specs.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Stepnwolf
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:

One perfect example of this is three models made by Arctic Fox:
25R
25Y
25W

The R is the shortest of the three.

I happen to have the '21 Arctic Fox brochure on hand and you are correct.

Arctic fox calls the measurement "Exterior length (approx. w/hitch).

25R 27'3"
25W 29'6"
25y 30'0"

Out of my own ignorance, I assumed the model number was the exterior "body" dimension, not the interior dimension, but interior dimension would make more sense as that is the useable number. The three model 25s could have the same body length but have a different hitch or bumper setup resulting in the 2'9" difference in overall length.
Step 'N' Wolf
Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Arctic Fox 22GQ
Land of Enchantment