cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV - and I mean flat screen televisions

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new travel trailer. It didn't come with a TV but it does have a spot for one. I had an old tube type in my old motorhome and never had it on. Don't usually want to sit inside and watch TV when I'm camping.

But my question concerns the type to buy. I would love to go to Wallyworld and buy something that will fit. But will a house TV work on the road? Will the trailer jar something loose?
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)
29 REPLIES 29

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
On the Element tv from walmart, the back side where all the connection points are located the power port says 12v right on it and it was the same connection that was used on an old router. I just wired that direct to the 12 volt system with a fuse. works fine.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ravel Trailers that come equipped with a TV usually have a mount that locks in place and holds the TV flat against the wall, if it's a multi angle swivel mount, so that's something to consider when shopping for a mount.

I had never considered a flat wall mount like pictured above.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
72cougarxr7 wrote:
I bought a 19" Sceptre brand from Walmart with a built on dvd player for about $130. It is a 12v tv that have a 110 converter built into the power cord. (they don't advertise it as 12v) I just found a 12v cord that worked from Radio Shack that allowed me to plug into the 12v outlet by my antenna jack. I like being able to watch a little tv in the evening without running my generator if we are dry camping!

Thank you as well

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Some of you mentioned buying a regular TV and running it directly off of 12 volts by purchasing a special cord ???

My TT has the cord attached there is no way to unplug the cord from the TV. Do I need to purchase a new TV to get one with a removable cord so I can run it directly from 12 volts? I have a 12 volt outlet behind my TT but, right now I have to use a inverter to run the TV. It would be nice to eliminate the inverter.

Unless you have the knowledge to do that kind of work and a schematic and a great electronic parts store, YES you need a new one.

I got both of mine at Best Buy they are 19 1nd 24 inches and no problems at all.

Thanks

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 19" Sceptre brand from Walmart with a built on dvd player for about $130. It is a 12v tv that have a 110 converter built into the power cord. (they don't advertise it as 12v) I just found a 12v cord that worked from Radio Shack that allowed me to plug into the 12v outlet by my antenna jack. I like being able to watch a little tv in the evening without running my generator if we are dry camping!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Some of you mentioned buying a regular TV and running it directly off of 12 volts by purchasing a special cord ???

My TT has the cord attached there is no way to unplug the cord from the TV. Do I need to purchase a new TV to get one with a removable cord so I can run it directly from 12 volts? I have a 12 volt outlet behind my TT but, right now I have to use a inverter to run the TV. It would be nice to eliminate the inverter.

Unless you have the knowledge to do that kind of work and a schematic and a great electronic parts store, YES you need a new one.

I got both of mine at Best Buy they are 19 1nd 24 inches and no problems at all.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a regular TV with a removable / swivel mount. I take it down for transport.

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I like the removable ideas. Roll it up in a spare blanket and put it under the bed. I just didn't know if the RV types might be a little more heavy duty.
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are now talking about wall mounts, we use this style in the house and in the camper. We have 3 in the house, and 1 in the camper. The camper living room television came with the camper, it's mounted on a lift that raises up and down.

The nice thing about these are, you can simply lift the television off and move it, or transport it laying on the bed, or take it outside, or easily bring it in the house in the winter, or take it with you anywhere you go. It's not affixed, like the swivel mounts are, because there's 3 parts. The part that mounts to the wall that is not removable, and the 2 arms that mount separately to the back of the television.

The work wonderful for us. This is a Wall Mart version. We got all of ours from Wall Mart too:

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a mounting bracket with an adjustable swing arm make sure you have way to secure the TV when towing. Mine came with a strap attached to the wall so the TV can be cinched down.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
I used an articulating mount similar to the one pictured. It's mounted to a scrap piece of wood about 1" thick and about 6" square. I used carriage bolts and nylon lock nuts since it only had two holes.

The whole assembly was screwed to the factory tv mounting location. I leave it up all the time with an elastic cord to hold it against the wall. It has about 2,000 miles on it and seems to be holding up fine.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
or as I did with the 32 inch.. made my own counter top mounts... flat stock steel..(Home Depot). bolted to counter top.. and directv box under counter top..

like 5 dollars. and no fear of wall holding a TV.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
When it comes to the mount, pick up an articulating mount from eBay. That way you can see the TV from any angle. I got one for $15. It extends out 20", swivels 180 degrees, tilts up or down, and rotates. You can put the TV in just about any position imaginable. I have one of those TV pockets that spins between the bedroom and living room. With the bracket installed, the TV still fits within the pocket. The original bracket was mounted with only (4) #6 wood screws. When I put the new bracket in I used (6) 5/16 lags. That TV isn't going anywhere lol.