Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under 3500 lbs

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
Iโ€™ve been posting in new to rving - think it might make more sense to post here. What do you tow under 3500 lbs? Our TV is an Explorer and were ok with that. Thereโ€™s 4 of us. Me and hubby, daughter and son, so prefer 3 dinstinct beds. Would rather not make up a dinette or sofa as a bed. Looking at BH, hybrids and pop ups. What has worked for you?
30 REPLIES 30

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I see you went with a three bunk hybrid. And that Starcraft is the lowest UVW on that layout I am aware of. I'd do it on the flat and do my best to keep the weight as low as possible in the TT. Wish you well and I'm not sure how many Rocky Mountains you should go over. Remember, you are going to need something like a Fastway E2 WDH/antisway hitch. They weigh about 60/70+ lbs all by themselves and impact carrying capacity of your vehicle. And you will have 500+ lbs of hitch weight. You are at or just over your max. Most prefer to stay under per Sound Guy's observations.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
You all deduced correctly that the TV has a 5000 lb rating with the factory tow package. I have calculated that 3000 - 3500 pounds, with our young family, will keep us below max. We have had a 2016 StarCraft 187tb come available in our market. I will be looking at it in the next few days and hope it will work out.

I'm confused :? - a 2016 Starcraft 187TB with a UVW of 3615 lbs and a GVWR of 4475 lbs is WAY too heavy for your Explorer. With a so-called tow rating of just 5000 lbs you need to be looking at single axle trailers with a UVW of no more than ~ 3000 lbs. Sorry, but I don't see how this can "work out" as you just don't have sufficient TV for a dual axle trailer of this size. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
D2Forever wrote:
afidel wrote:
If the payload is near the top for that year Explorer (1750 pounds) and the kids are smaller then a 3k dry trailer is probably fine. My trailer is just over 3k dry and had 2 bunks and a front full bed with a large dinette on the slide. 4 is very comfortable for us as former tent campers. I'd love a couch but that would have required a bigger tow vehicle.

Hello Afidel - what are you towing? and what is your TV? thanks

It's in my signature and profile but in case you can't see them for some reason:
2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
If the payload is near the top for that year Explorer (1750 pounds) and the kids are smaller then a 3k dry trailer is probably fine. My trailer is just over 3k dry and had 2 bunks and a front full bed with a large dinette on the slide. 4 is very comfortable for us as former tent campers. I'd love a couch but that would have required a bigger tow vehicle.

Hello Afidel - what are you towing? and what is your TV? thanks

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies! You all deduced correctly that the TV has a 5000 lb rating with the factory tow package. I have calculated that 3000 - 3500 pounds, with our young family, will keep us below max. We have had a 2016 StarCraft 187tb come available in our market. I will be looking at it in the next few days and hope it will work out. I also like the larger bunks with the Q murphy bed. I would love to find more folks that have had success with our TV. When the kids get older (and heavier, and want more stuff, and friends) we might be ready to upgrade the TV by then!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm...no response from OP regarding Explorer payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Check out the Wolf Pup 16BHS. It comes close to your specs.
Is your Explorer a V8 or V6, factory tow package?
Mine, with the V6, just barely handles that weight. If your kids are of driving age, or if the wife would consider it, consider taking two vehicles to allow for the weighs needed to be carried.

This is another one like mine but only 7 feet wide. This is a popular layout for single axle.

The advantage of the Dutchmen Aspen Trail version is the width providing a larger dinette and wider bunk. That Wolf Pup is light though at pretty much 3K dry.

Some of those hybrids, however, with three bunks are running 3900 and 4K dry weight. That MIGHT work meeting their requirements, but that is pushing it very hard for that tow vehicle. Four people? Hitch? I'm thinking they are going to be over capacity for the TV unless they are little kids.

I don't think I see them doing it with their requirements. They are going to have to compromise somehow.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
large popup

Keep in mind that the passengers and gear in the tow vehicle get subtracted from the 3,500# tow rating.

The OP has a 2016 Explorer with a so-called "tow rating" of 5000 lbs. I already recommended a trailer like the Coachmen Apex 185BH or a similar model from other manufacturers, with a GVWR of ~ 3800 lbs, as one she could tow with her vehicle.

That's the same layout as mine BUT, mine is 8 feet wide so you get like a 42 inch wide bunk in the Dutchmen versions. Jayco 174? also has one of those layouts as do a few others I believe.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
large popup

Keep in mind that the passengers and gear in the tow vehicle get subtracted from the 3,500# tow rating.

The OP has a 2016 Explorer with a so-called "tow rating" of 5000 lbs. I already recommended a trailer like the Coachmen Apex 185BH or a similar model from other manufacturers, with a GVWR of ~ 3800 lbs, as one she could tow with her vehicle.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
large popup

Never look at dry weight of an RV, look at the GVWR since most lightweight RVs have very little cargo capacity and are often at the maximum GVWR when in use.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Trailmanor campers. They are a hard side pop up that also gain length when you open them. All models are under 3500 dry and most are under 3000 dry. They have models that will have a king on one side and queen on the other along with a couch that makes into another bed. Super easy to tow as they are less than 80" tall when closed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the Explorer's payload? "4 of us. Me and hubby, daughter and son" plus stuff will take up a bunch and a 3,500 pound trailer should have at least 400 pounds of tongue weight plus the hitch.

Seems as if you have asked this question before...almost as if you are seeking an answer with which you agree...the Explorer can tow it. I don't think it can safely.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Wolf Pup 16BHS. It comes close to your specs.
Is your Explorer a V8 or V6, factory tow package?
Mine, with the V6, just barely handles that weight. If your kids are of driving age, or if the wife would consider it, consider taking two vehicles to allow for the weighs needed to be carried.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of anything that is travel trailer size that is what light. We used to travel in a 3 bunk hybrid, but even that with an 18' box and 3 bunks was over your weight limit with an empty trailer. Popups with slides get to be about that heavy too, I believe. I don't know that you'll find much besides a pop up for that weight range. Maybe some of those tiny little trailers like a Scamp or little Pod-type, but those aren't going to have the bed space you want.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids