cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using a cargo carriers on my travel trailer

canman4800
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone used a cargo carriers on the back bumper of their travel trailer? I'm curious how much stress it puts on the bumper.
"the worst day at the campgrounds is still better than the best day at work"
14 REPLIES 14

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Carried a 100lb generator and 5 gallon gas can on a cargo rack for years with no issues but wouldn't recommend it. Not worth it if something does go wrong. My $.02.

My โ€œSTUFFโ€ makes my vaca great again!!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:

I often wonder how many spare tires, that are only fastened to the bumper are lost? Many RV trailers including my last three, have the spare fastened to bumper only.

Bikes or anything moveable and hanging off, much different than a spare though.

Jerry

The big difference is spare tires sit almost directly over the bumper. As a result, there isn't much leverage. (the COG might be 4-6inches behind the bumper).

3 Bikes will have a COG likely a couple feet behind the bumper resulting in several times as much leverage trying to tear off the sheet metal bumper.

If you want to do this get a frame mounted hitch. Also, triple check you hitch weight. 75-100lb doesn't sound like much but particularly on small trailers, it might push the hitch weight below 10% and cause it to get squirrelly when towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I cut off the rear bumper and rear attachments on our outback and designed and installed my own rear bumper. I used reciever and hitch tubing to make an adjustable length carrier section that I can slide in and out. I used real square tubing for the bumper. Then I made expanded metal carriers I can drop into and attach to the extension between the trailer and hitch. I also welded on stingers to use for bike racks etc. The reciever tubing was welded to the trailer frame on the outside of the frame for about 2ft

Yes,it adds weight to the rear of the trailer when loaded however even with it fully loaded my tongue weight is still over 15%, 9,000lb plus trailer weight, 1400 on the tongue with no water in the tanks, over 1500 with fresh filled or waste water.

Rack usually has a cooler, two bins with the things we need to start camping, chocks, ramps etc. or the last to go back as well as the spare tire.

And even with everything on the rack, including 2 e bikes, lights are still visible, license plate is visible,

Traveled 50K plus miles, various campgrounds, along the columbia river gorge many a time with high winds, never any issues.

The extra length does impact what spots I can back the trailer into, no question.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BackOfThePack wrote:
Itโ€™s a bad idea in all ways.

200# far from the axle centerline โ€œweighs moreโ€ given tail-whip (centrifugal force). Shortens the already too-short amount of time to correct trailer sway (a few seconds in best conditions). That, alone, mitigates against it.

Second, it tends to either cover or obstruct trailer brake/turn/warning lights. From several angles. Again, this ALONE mitigates against it.

Third, backing is more difficult as this increases the amount of โ€œtrailer swingโ€. AND one canโ€™t see the edge leading as one backs (I do this for a living: the joke about truck drivers is that they donโ€™t pay us to drive them somewhere, they pay is TO BACK THEM as the vast majority of truck-caused property damage is while backing). Lose any idea you can avoid backing.

Fourth, and potentially the most serious, is related to number one in that one has lengthened the sail area against a crosswind.

Winds are the TT problem. โ€œVisionโ€ by operator and others is hampered. (We can find more).

To go camping means toss some clothes, food and beer into trailer. I believe you need to clean it out (100%) and start over in packing what you actually use. We all go thru the pains of adding too much and having to remove the โ€œwhat if & just-in-caseโ€ stuff.

Make going camping simpler. If you do, youโ€™ll go more often. (Bank on it)

Roflmmfo!
Where to start โ€ฆ

1. Yes or maybe but not necessarily. Especially since you have no idea how much weight the OP was thinkin about hauling back there or the trailer weight/tongue weight.
2. Nope not even close. Google a hitch rack and then go measure the spread between your tail lightsโ€ฆ duhhh
3. Nope again, refer to #2. Width. Maaaaybe in a perfect 90 deg ijackinife with virtually zero extra clearance. But by then if you donโ€™t have a spotter, a camera or legs, to get out and check, youโ€™ll probably smash the corner of the trailer first.
4. Lol. This is perhaps the funniest, biggest stretch to try to sound smart. Exactly how much โ€œsail areaโ€ is added with a little piece of angle iron and some firewood/genny and gas can, mother in laws suitcase, you know the typical stuff that goes on a light duty hitch carrier?
5. Now youโ€™re just trying to hard to create text.
6. No one cares how โ€œyouโ€ camp, nor is it polite to presume a whole bunch of stuff about someone else because you conjured up an image or opinion.

If youโ€™d have stopped after โ€œbad ideaโ€ (generally, due to the lightweight construction of camper bumpers) you would have had a lucid response.
Cheers slowmover!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a bad idea in all ways.

200# far from the axle centerline โ€œweighs moreโ€ given tail-whip (centrifugal force). Shortens the already too-short amount of time to correct trailer sway (a few seconds in best conditions). That, alone, mitigates against it.

Second, it tends to either cover or obstruct trailer brake/turn/warning lights. From several angles. Again, this ALONE mitigates against it.

Third, backing is more difficult as this increases the amount of โ€œtrailer swingโ€. AND one canโ€™t see the edge leading as one backs (I do this for a living: the joke about truck drivers is that they donโ€™t pay us to drive them somewhere, they pay is TO BACK THEM as the vast majority of truck-caused property damage is while backing). Lose any idea you can avoid backing.

Fourth, and potentially the most serious, is related to number one in that one has lengthened the sail area against a crosswind.

Winds are the TT problem. โ€œVisionโ€ by operator and others is hampered. (We can find more).

To go camping means toss some clothes, food and beer into trailer. I believe you need to clean it out (100%) and start over in packing what you actually use. We all go thru the pains of adding too much and having to remove the โ€œwhat if & just-in-caseโ€ stuff.

Make going camping simpler. If you do, youโ€™ll go more often. (Bank on it)

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple different thick J hook like RV bumper reinforcements available. These take the sewer hose storage tube welds out of the equation. No one has reported probs once those are installed.
However, best is to get a universal between the frame receiver hitch and have that welded on. Then you can carry a heavy load confidently, like a mid size generator.
Note: even the factory FR rear rack does not depend on the sewer hose storage tube, it clamps to the frame rails in front of that.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
It really can upset the handling and the added weight also pulls down on the trailer box too.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I use one for years. Just careful how much weight I put on it no problem
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^Funny story that, probably not at the time.

I often wonder how many spare tires, that are only fastened to the bumper are lost? Many RV trailers including my last three, have the spare fastened to bumper only.

Bikes or anything moveable and hanging off, much different than a spare though.

Jerry

I found out just how bad of an idea it was B4 learning about this site.. I put a 4 bike holder on a bumper mount bike rack of my 1997 Wilderness TT..

Going south on RT13 in DE, I looked in my rear view mirror to see a rack with 3 bikes skirting across the highway into the medium.

I told my wife, look some poor sap lost their bikes.. I was lucky they did not hit anything, or anyone. I stopped and had to toss everything into the bed of the truck and inside the camper... what a mess :S

PS - I had 1 adult and 2 kids bikes on there at the time
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO.......... If you look at the "bumper" on your TT, you will see that at best it will store your stinky slinky, and not much more. The static load on the very thin tube is one thing but the forces generated by a 200/300 pound lever bouncing up and down will be much more. I think that most here will agree that it's not a good idea.

I carried my spare tire that way for a year or so, but the load was vertical and didn't bounce around as would a relatively heavy basket extending a couple of feet behind the trailer.

You see them on the road, but given enough time, they will probably fail. Maybe at the next railway crossing or the frost heave that snuck up on you. Not to mention the transition from the street to a steep driveway where the basket scrapes the ground because of the extended overhang. Lots of scenarios.

If you go to a welding shop, they can attach a hitch directly to the frame, and you can mount the basket on that.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you search the forum you'll find dozens (if not hundreds) of posts on this topic. It's universally a terrible idea and a great way to leave your bumper and anything on the carrier skidding down the road with people behind you trying to avoid it. Have a hitch receiver welded or bolted to the frame.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The back bumper of most travel trailers is not meant to have anything attached to it. It is designed to hold the sewer hose and not much else. It you want to put something heavier back there, you need to reinforce it with welded supports and/or encase it with stronger metal along with stronger mounting to the frame of the trailer. You would probably be best off putting a regular 2" receiver welded to the trailer frame on the back of the trailer rather than use the bumper to mount something.

Also keep in mind the removal of tongue weight if you carry something heavy back there. Most travel trailers have a long rear overhang which makes the addition of of weight that far behind the axles troublesome for many trailers. You are risking sway problems because of that lost weight.

Hope this helps you out in your decision making.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine