cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Silverados

jrichd
Explorer
Explorer
Can the new Chevy Silverados with the 4.3L V6 really how over 9000 pounds? Anyone with practical experience in one case to arrest to that?
38 REPLIES 38

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Ask the Ford Egoboost owners the same thing. LOL.

I have three friends who tow with that engine and it gets HOT climbing grades.

I'll take the 5.0L over the Egoboost ( :B ) every time for a tow vehicle.

deltabravo wrote:

2011 and newer GMs got a much larger tank, and an increase in GVWR. I was slightly annoyed when the 2011s came out.

My 2011 is the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. 217,000 miles and I have no plans on replacing it.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
As to the size of gas tanks, my Chevy 2500HD has a 38 gallon gas tank.

2011 and newer GMs got a much larger tank, and an increase in GVWR. I was slightly annoyed when the 2011s came out.
My 2009 has a 34 gallon tank, which still hasn't hit 70k miles, so I have no plans of upgrading trucks any time soon.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
Why would anyone ever buy something with a little engine to tow with??

Ask the Ford Egoboost owners the same thing. LOL.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ It's all relative. And comparing new trucks to the pony express and claiming that 300 V6 horses should be the best thing since beer in a can since the pony express wagons only had 6 horses pulling them and they made it from Kansas City to San Francisco, is like wetting your pants.

It's a warm feeling but embarrassing once someone sees it...

As to the size of gas tanks, my Chevy 2500HD has a 38 gallon gas tank.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Why would anyone ever buy something with a little engine to tow with??
Kenny

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Chevy has a 36 gallon gas tank. A 1500 longbox has a 34 gallon tank:h

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The gas tanks on the Chevy gas engine powered trucks are too small for serious towing. With current regs one cannot legally replace the factory gas tank with a larger aftermarket one (OK with a diesel fuel tank).

Chevy 23 gallons
Ram 33 gallons
Ford 36 gallons
Toyota 38 gallons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ It's all relative. And comparing new trucks to the pony express and claiming that 300 V6 horses should be the best thing since beer in a can since the pony express wagons only had 6 horses pulling them and they made it from Kansas City to San Francisco, is like wetting your pants.

It's a warm feeling but embarrassing once someone sees it...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Y'all gotta quit mistaking "Will it pull?" with "Would I be happy pulling with it?""

When I was 6 years old my father pulled a 5,000lb offshore fishing boat with a Rambler Ambassador that was equipped with a 232 cu inch 6 cylinder. There were some steep hills north of Birmingham AL that slowed us to a crawl. I remember wondering if I needed to get out and help push the car up the hill but we made it every time. A year or so later he replaced the Rampler with a Chrysler that had a 383 in it. It pulled much better and we ended up towing the boat about 60,000 miles with it over a 20 year lifespan.

I am sure that the GM V6 has more power than even that 1969 Chrysler 383. But speed limits have gone up 15mph or more since then too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
p220sigman wrote:
True story...When I was in high school (many moons ago), a Kid at my high school had his grandmother offer to buy him a car when he graduated. He told her all he wanted was a Buick Regal. Yep, grandma bought him a 1985 Grand National. Needless to say, we were all jealous. The only other kid I knew of that had a new car had his grandmother buy him a Hyundai Excel. Not as much jealousy there...

One word.
Daaaaaammmmmnnnnn!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ What he said.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Y'all gotta quit mistaking "Will it pull?" with "Would I be happy pulling with it?"

Two very different questions with two very different answers.

Yes, you can SAFELY pull 7400 or whatever with the V6. It has the tire, suspension, and brake capacity. You will most likely NOT be happy with the performance, unless you have very low expectations.

Hauling a skidsteer across town, sure. You'll probably be thumping your chest in pride for owning "the little engine that could." Hauling a travel trailer across the country, not so much. You'll be pulling your hair out and calling "the little engine that could" every name in the book while chugs up every hill in the slow lane.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
True story...When I was in high school (many moons ago), a Kid at my high school had his grandmother offer to buy him a car when he graduated. He told her all he wanted was a Buick Regal. Yep, grandma bought him a 1985 Grand National. Needless to say, we were all jealous. The only other kid I knew of that had a new car had his grandmother buy him a Hyundai Excel. Not as much jealousy there...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably the same for the Syclones since the vettes were turds then.