cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Keys - Key Fobs - Locked Out

dslc6487
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Chrysler Aspen about 2 weeks ago and only got one key and fob in the sale. Yep, you guessed it, yesterday I was changing the transfer case fluid and had my keys lying on the seat. I guess my arm must have hit the lock button and I managed to lock my keys inside the car. After about 2 hours work, using every coat hanger in the house, some wooden wedges, and a piece of bent 3/8 inch rod, I managed to hit the unlock button on the drivers side and retrieve my keys. I have a couple of questions. Can I have just an entry key made at Lowes, Home Depot or some where else that has a key making machine and will it open the door manually without the fob? If so, I will just have about 3 made, one for the wife, one for me and one to keep stored somewhere. Also, if I wanted to get a fob, with all the auto features on it, is there anywhere I can get one without going to the dealer and paying an arm and leg? Thank you my friends
26 REPLIES 26

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a short piece of cloths line that is not nylon and tie it up underneath somewhere. Use the right knot and it will still be there when and if you need it. I've used this method for years on my daughters cars and now my wife's. A tie strap won't do any good unless you have a pocket knife.
If your car has the infamous Sentry key system use a plain key to just get in. If anybody ever finds it they can't take the car.
Two things that keep me out of this trouble is only locking the car with the remote, and never ever leaving the keys inside without a window down far enough to get my arm in.
Puma 30RKSS

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've locked myself out of my Jeep Liberty twice. just real easy to hit button when getting out. Both times I was out in the country in Texas Panhandle. I did have a dummy key made, but was at house. Now looking for a way to hide that key on Jeep. I've looked as magnet holders, but hard to find metal to stick too. Spare tire is any option or maybe a receiver hitch lock system. Just have not made up my mind. Not too worried about getting a 04 Liberty being stolen, but just need to get in due to the ease of locking myself out.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Just be aware that your door key may set off the alarm.

Any time I use the key to open the door lock on my 2015 Chevy, the alarm goes off. They tell me if I lock it using the lock button on the door it won't, but it doesn't matter. No matter how I lock the vehicle using the power locks, if I unlock it with the key... HONK! HONK! HONK!

ha ! yep, I had a spare key made for grand daughters Ford Fusion. When you unlock the door, you have ten seconds to get in, get the key in and start it before the horn starts honking ! It's counting down for you on the dash display, like it's taunting you to hurry up.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
This is precisely why I enjoy Ford's keypad on the door. Never have to worry about locking my keys in the truck and best yet I can leave my truck running with the doors locked and simply use the keypad to get back into my truck.

I agree. I have the key pad on my 04 Ford, and in my opinion the key pad is a very strong reason to consider a Ford or Lincoln product. It is great, and the pad still works great after 12 years of use.

To answer the question of the OP, yes, a hardware store can make a key to just unlock the door. I had a few of these made for my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan for a couple dollars each. But, regardless, if you only have one key fob, that is very risky if you ask me. We had two key fobs for our Dodge and my wife lost hers a few months ago. I was very nervous only having one fob. Dealer prices were crazy high, so I ordered two online (forgot where) and had a local locksmith shop program them for me. All vehicles are different. Sometimes you can do the programming yourself, depending on the vehicle, but in my case, I had to have a locksmith do it.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just be aware that your door key may set off the alarm.

Any time I use the key to open the door lock on my 2015 Chevy, the alarm goes off. They tell me if I lock it using the lock button on the door it won't, but it doesn't matter. No matter how I lock the vehicle using the power locks, if I unlock it with the key... HONK! HONK! HONK!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
This is precisely why I enjoy Ford's keypad on the door. Never have to worry about locking my keys in the truck and best yet I can leave my truck running with the doors locked and simply use the keypad to get back into my truck.

X2

This feature is the single most overlooked benefit of Fords. Today my wife needed to get into my truck to receive something but she didn't have a key. However she knew the door code and easily retrieved the item without needing me to meet her or having to go back home to retrieve the 2nd key. I do the same to get anything out of her vehicle when needed.

To OP, I bought a remote fob for my Infiniti online, for 60 bucks. And had a local locksmith program it. Way less than the ~300 the dealer wanted.

I agree about Ford's keypad. It is a very useful feature when we go float the river, or go to the beach. It's also really nice that you don't have to go retrieve the key if you want to get something out of the vehicle when I'm putzing around the house.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

X2

This feature is the single most overlooked benefit of Fords. Today my wife needed to get into my truck to receive something but she didn't have a key. However she knew the door code and easily retrieved the item without needing me to meet her or having to go back home to retrieve the 2nd key. I do the same to get anything out of her vehicle when needed.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

X2
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the keypad too. But as a full timer I want redundancy for this critical function. I am a single and have no home base so I need to be self sufficient. A $2 key that fits in my billfold is a no brainer.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F350 and I do have 2 keys but I wanted a key I could put in my billfold. The OEM keys are way too thick to fit. So I was talking to a Ford parts guy and casually mentioned what I wanted to do. He told me he had blanks that he could cut for me and they would open the door but would not start the truck. He made sure I understood - DO NOT TRY AND START THE TRUCK because it would lock up like a vault.

So I got the key ($2) and tried it out. It did open the doors BUT it also set off the truck's alarm system. Don't know if this would happen with any other brands or not.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer made me a key for entry for my Ram. Any key maker should be able to.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We call our local Locksmith. He had options for us, He knew if dummy key would work. He also helped us deciding about another remote.

We ended up buying a remote on Ebay and he programmed it. Way cheaper than Dealer.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
My Ram has FOB key and if the key is left inside the truck I can not lock the door.
Once I dropped the key between the seat and arm rest one time and didn't realize it, got out the truck and tried to lock the door using the button on door handle and it just kept unlocking itself, took a few seconds for me to realize the key was inside the truck.

Same thing with my towed. Actually only the GV the Sidekick didn't have locks when I bought it.

Generally anytime I get something with a lock, if it has two original keys, one goes in the box of keys, padlocks and re-keying sets in the garage, the other on a keyring in the pantry with the other originals, copies go in each car and one to carry if necessary. At $0.50 or $0.75 each it's good insurance. For the two vehicles with the ignition key programmed to the car, I have several non-programmable keys for each.

I love the convenience of the security system by Karr that is in the Grand Vitara, key stays in pocket, you can lock and unlock the doors with a touch and start the car without inserting the key. I think that all cars should work this way. Only disadvantage is the $125.00 to replace the fob and key.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II