Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VIDEO: Relocating Water Utility Access Box To Left Side

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II

This was a good Truck Camper project.
VIDEO >>> Relocating Water Utility Access Box <<< VIDEO
Finished my latest Truck Camper project. I always disliked having my water utility access on the right side because all the RV park connections are always on the left side. In my last video, I installed an electrical outlet on the right side where the water connection used to be. With that change, I can now setup lights, fans, tools, anything needing 120 volt power. With the water connection moved to the left, I have a simpler quicker hookup process and don't have that annoying water hose staring me in the face when at the picnic table. Everything works great and looking forward to getting out and traveling again.
3 REPLIES 3

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have noticed an interesting side benefit. When the fresh tank was full before with the connections on the right side, When I would make a left turn, water would flow right and pour out the vent hole and a little leakage from the fill cap with no gasket. Because it was a straight shot out, water would just blast right out from the force of changing direction with the turn.
Now, with the fill location moved to the left side, no water escapes. The reason is, all the pipes come out of the fresh tank right side and turn 180 degrees reversing direction to the left. When I turn left, water wants to flow to the right and is still going into the hoses but because they reverse direction, water only goes so far and stops, it can't continue flowing out the pipe after the hose direction is reversed. When I turn right, water wants to flow left but there is no exit from the tank on that side. All the water in the pipes going into the tank are sloped to flow into the tank, no stagnant water so no water escapes at all. I fill the water tank until I get some spray out the vent line, so it gets flushed out each time I fill the fresh tank. Just an interesting tidbit I thought I'd share.
On a side note, the solar system produced a max of 475 watts today and ran the fridge all day at 325 watts (intermittently cycling on and off) and still fully recharged the batteries by the afternoon. I Had to unplug the fridge at 4:30 as the solar power level was dropping pretty quickly.

If you're logged into Facebook, you should be able to see the images if you aren't seeing them now. It's an easy free place to store.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
If it make you feel any better, Host has the fresh water fill on right and the city water hookup on the left. Every time I have to refill the tank, I have to run the hose from left to right except in my driveway...

I feel good about the change. It makes me happy. I tell you, I was lucky there was space between the propane compartment and the oven to route the pipes. It was also lucky there was no framing between the mount area. A nice easy fit. I'm sure the connection was on the right originally because it was the easiest and shortest installation point. There is definitely more effort to the setup being on the left. Perhaps yours had limited space issues. Whatever the case, it is what it is unless you change it.
May have to force myself to go to Jelly Stone and Grand Tetons after Labor Day to give it a good run down. Take care,

Bedlam
If it make you feel any better, Host has the fresh water fill on right and the city water hookup on the left. Every time I have to refill the tank, I have to run the hose from left to right except in my driveway...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD