cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall mounted AC units

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours has just adopted her 11 year old grandson after the death of her oldest son. She has always tent camped in the past and wants to start taking him camping.
This past weekend She bought a "Never sold" 2017 Viking Saga 17BH with a wall mounted air conditioner. It's her first camper and she is very excited.
Can anyone tell me where the condensation drain would be on this unit and am I correct that she should keep the A/C side of the trailer slightly lower than than the opposing side?

Thanks
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
12 REPLIES 12

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
gaymeadowsman wrote:
Thanks everyone, she did her walk through yesterday, I couldn't join her but she said it went well and for the first few months we will be camping with her and her grandson so we can teach them as much as we can. Her biggest fear now is backing. I plan to take her to a closed dept.store parking lot for practice.... Lots of practice.

I used a couple of traffic cones when I taught my wife to back our trailers. Worked very well.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I put a new wall mount air conditioner in my Vintage Camper. It had an old one on it's last leg. The new unit is slightly larger than the last one, so i had to open the hole a little and re-frame it.
Works great. My new air conditioner, like all the other wall mounted units I have seen drains on the outside.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, she did her walk through yesterday, I couldn't join her but she said it went well and for the first few months we will be camping with her and her grandson so we can teach them as much as we can. Her biggest fear now is backing. I plan to take her to a closed dept.store parking lot for practice.... Lots of practice.
John 😛
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ZINGERLITE wrote:
We had issues that i had "fixed under warranty" then i fixed it my self after i picked it up lol. RV dealer service departments are a joke.

My Window unit on my zinger was dripping inside. Im not 100% sure of the exact issue but i've modified the catch pan and pulled the unit out and used tyvek tape to ensure that the pan drains to the exterior. It seems to have worked.

the down side to living in michigan is that i only need the AC to work for like a week out of the year. Fix the leak and wait another year to try it out again ha!

Other than that it cools fine. Its not in the most optimal location to evenly cool the trailer but it does the job. It seems like it would be cheaper to replace than a roof top unit if it ever goes out.

I would say just keep any eye on it.
l
Ha, we used ours for most of our 2 week trip to the UP last summer, daytime highest in the 80s and fairly high humidity from being just onshore meant we needed it.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The AC unit should be mounted to drain outside when the trailer is level.

Key word, should. Verify it the first time you run it, make sure the condensate isn't sitting, draining back into the trailer, or leaking down an unsealed crack. I've read about all 3 scenarios with wall mounts.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of newer window air units do not have a drain. They use a slinger ring on the fan to splash the water on the condenser for greater efficiency.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
We had issues that i had "fixed under warranty" then i fixed it my self after i picked it up lol. RV dealer service departments are a joke.

My Window unit on my zinger was dripping inside. Im not 100% sure of the exact issue but i've modified the catch pan and pulled the unit out and used tyvek tape to ensure that the pan drains to the exterior. It seems to have worked.

the down side to living in michigan is that i only need the AC to work for like a week out of the year. Fix the leak and wait another year to try it out again ha!

Other than that it cools fine. Its not in the most optimal location to evenly cool the trailer but it does the job. It seems like it would be cheaper to replace than a roof top unit if it ever goes out.

I would say just keep any eye on it.

kilbearcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our "18 Springdale 1800 bh. has wall mount unit. never had any problems, just level trailer you will be good. One thing about wall mount A/C units they are very loud, compared to a roof top mount.
Travel Time; Killbear 35mins.
Grundy 1hour
Algonguin West gate 1hr. 45mins.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Seems like the back would suck in its own exhaust through the sides and have problems. Are they baffled somehow?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The AC unit should be mounted to drain outside when the trailer is level.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Starcraft with the wall mounted unit as well. Leveled normally and never had an issue.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Starcraft with all mounted AC, like the window AC used in homes. Level the trailer as normal. The unit drains to the outside. No worries. It should be fine. Nothing special to do in setup or usage.