cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmartian

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why but this camper has been jacked up in the air of a local Walmart for quite a while now. Almost looks abandoned. Hope this is not the case.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper
51 REPLIES 51

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll go out on a limb and make two points:

1) I suppose itโ€™s a sign of present times, but reading these various post itโ€™s rather peculiar (or maybe the new normal) that posters are unable to arrive at a common consensus as to the particularly bad demeanor of this squatter.

2) Most Walmarts that Iโ€™ve encountered lately (here out west) are no longer allowing overnighters and I canโ€™t really say that I blame them, though it may also be due to a change in local ordinances.

Quite honestly, Iโ€™m surprised that Walmart didnโ€™t see this coming.
Conclusion is, feral RVโ€™ers (abusing their welcome) are our own worst enemy...

3 tons

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
I find to it hard to equate the analogy of someone parking a camper on Walmart property opposed to people smoking pot and consuming alcohol on a street.

Surely Walmart management knows of the camper parked on their lot, so it's their business.

I agree with others, mind your own business.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found that making Security guys your friends can go long way.
Those guys usually have boring job and don't mind some friendly chat.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hemi Joel wrote:
Maybe someone was passing thru and had a major problem with their truck, like a transmission or engine failure. SO they left it there while the truck is getting fixed.

That was my first thought.

In any case. I come down on the side of nunya business. It's not your camper, not your parking lot. Why do you need to know? You think the Walmart manager doesn't know it's sitting out there? Now if one day you see a For Sale sign on it...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
What about a polite knock on the door and check to see if it's open or locked. Someone here joked about "dead bodies" .... can't help but wonder now ๐Ÿ™‚

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Regardless of what the reason is, it's "nunya bizness." It's between that Walmart's management/security, and the owner of the TC. They will deal with it.

The people sticking their head in the sand hoping the problem will go away are the same ones that then wonder why new restrictions are being placed on them when they were not involved. Unfortunately we don't each live in our own bubble - The actions of others affect our lives too. Remember that inaction or apathy also gets a response, not just reaction.

Not sticking my head anywhere, and that's the point. It's none of my business, none of yours, and none of anyone's here.

There are company and legal procedures regarding abandoned property, and a "good samaritan" sticking their nose in usually causes more harm than good.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a limit how much you can ignore in the life.
Such camper sitting for long time will bring parking restrictions for all of us sooner or later. Do you still think it is not your business?
I live on at the end of the city, where lot of young people come for marijuana puff or beer drinking.
It might be all legal (is it?) but I own the only tree giving shade and I don't like the smell blown in front of my door, while common courtesy for beer drinkers is smack the bottles against the curb, or at the best - leave food packing on the street.
Sometimes - having 1/4 mile of empty street those drivers feel like parking in front of my gate :S

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m with the โ€œmind your own businessโ€ crowd. Unless youโ€™re a professional tow truck driver or RV storage lot owner, best worry about your own. Thereโ€™s a lot of reasons somebody may have left their camper there. Without knowing the full story, itโ€™s silly to inject yourself into somebody elseโ€™s situation. But thatโ€™s just my opinion.
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
I should explain further. I'm only trying to help the owner AND Walmart out. The other option is to ignore it. It could wind up towed and stored in an impound lot leading to many $$$. OR blown over on it's side like was mentioned.
My truck is empty now and I'm only 15 minutes away. Like I said. Would leave my contact #'s. Not looking to resell the person's camper.
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
why don't you go in and ask the store manager.

I an, in about a week if it's still there.
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many moons ago I worked as an auctioneer , we sold insurance salvage and repos in 5 S.E. states . We sold a pretty new cargo trailer for a tow service and then the dodo hit the fan .
This gentleman and wife were traveling down I-10 thru DeFuniac Springs , FL., pulling their new cargo trailer . Went into Wal-mart , wife felt ill , asked the manager where the hospital was located , asked if he could drop the trailer . OK.
In emergency room they suggested an air lift to Panama City for heart surgery . To shorten the story , trailer owner returned to Wal-mart 10 days later , trailer gone , reported it stolen , insurance paid off . Wal- mart had called a tow company after a week . Tow company held trailer the legal amount of time and sent it to us , we sold it . When new buyer went to register in his state the trailer was listed stolen , Many lawyers and dollars later the insurance company paid every body for their trouble and the insurance company owned a trailer .
Moral of story , just because a " manager " sez its OK , never leave it unprotected for very long . The manager that you speak to probably ain't the manager , the same as on a cruise ship , the captain that you eat supper with is not the man who drives the boat !

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch, I agree. Some have nothing else to do but be nosy.
Dennis Hoppert

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
why don't you go in and ask the store manager.
Dennis Hoppert

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Still there. No one around night or day. I'm going to wait another week and contact the manager if still there. I'll offer to move off their lot for a small fee and leave my contact #'s. Going to check into the legality of it though. I have an educated guess as to why it's there but will keep it to myself for now....
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Regardless of what the reason is, it's "nunya bizness." It's between that Walmart's management/security, and the owner of the TC. They will deal with it.

The people sticking their head in the sand hoping the problem will go away are the same ones that then wonder why new restrictions are being placed on them when they were not involved. Unfortunately we don't each live in our own bubble - The actions of others affect our lives too. Remember that inaction or apathy also gets a response, not just reaction.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD