cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wanting to spend some money

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. Looking for items to make our TT camping as enjoyable as possible. I have a 2000 generator, flip jack, new King Jack, various Jacks for road trouble, new shower surround bar, etc. Thought about a Little Buddy Heater till I read it might shut off at 7000 feet or above. Outside speakers would be nice, rather have a blue tooth stereo for that. Maybe a new stereo. Have little converter for TV etc. I always like to spend some money on items this time of year for the up coming camping season, which can not come quick enough. Any ideas from anyone. Solar for a 16ft seems a little overkill, maybe just for the battery. Gee, do I have everything, takes all the fun out of it!
27 REPLIES 27

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
How about a set of walkie-talkies like people use on boats. Those walkie-talkies have a range of 2 - 5 miles across the water. Could come in handy to communicate with base camp while you're out exploring the wilds of North America, and you don't have cell phone connection. Also great for help you back into a camp site when you need a spotter!

If you are talking about VHF marine radios, it is illegal to operate those while on land. You must be in a boat to use the VHF marine bands.

Now if you're talking about the FRS walkie talkies, they are fine as long as used on low power. When operated on high power they become classified as GMRS radios and require a license. It is illegal to operate those on the high power (GMRS) setting without a license. I know folks do it all the time but that doesn't change the law. Using VHF marine radios, especially near a body of water, could possibly interfere with emergency Coast Guard communications.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
VTR wrote:
I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. Looking for items to make our TT camping as enjoyable as possible. I have a 2000 generator, flip jack, new King Jack, various Jacks for road trouble, new shower surround bar, etc. Thought about a Little Buddy Heater till I read it might shut off at 7000 feet or above. Outside speakers would be nice, rather have a blue tooth stereo for that. Maybe a new stereo. Have little converter for TV etc. I always like to spend some money on items this time of year for the up coming camping season, which can not come quick enough. Any ideas from anyone. Solar for a 16ft seems a little overkill, maybe just for the battery. Gee, do I have everything, takes all the fun out of it!

What do you do when you get there? Land, sea, or air, are you anywhere?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
VTR wrote:

You only bought a 16 footer. No wonder you have extra $$$
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:

Why a tongue scale? I know the approximate tongue weight and the capacity of the TV. .

I know mine, too, however since my TV has a low payload figure I'll use it to confirm that I'm not overloading my Sequoia. If we're just heading out for the weekend I probably won't weigh the tongue but I always get a weight when on extended trips.

The other reason is it's handy to have when trailer shopping. A friend of mine was in the market for a TT; his intended tow vehicle was a Jeep Liberty. Salesman said the trailer he wanted had a tongue weight well within the hitch capacity of the Liberty. Tongue scale said otherwise.

No, salesman not happy with me. Friend wound up ditching the Liberty after all.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation is the: Glow Step Revolution.

Best thing we have added to our fifth wheel.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a really wild idea -- add the money to your retirement account. Then you will be able to retire earlier and enjoy some major camping trips while you are still young enough to enjoy it!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
A reverse osmosis water system is a welcome luxury for any RV.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
When we had our TT, the #2 was a Sherline tongue scale...Ron

Why a tongue scale? I know the approximate tongue weight and the capacity of the TV. What purpose does a tongue scale serve? Ignorance and curiosity is overriding my manners and bringing me dangerously close to hijacking the thread.

So, let me add that I would go with rope lighting under the TT on the patio side for ambiance.

I had an Sherline scale and it was handy.....until I had my rig figured out. It was far easier than going 30 miles to a scale. I used it to double check several times as I added and removed weight from different places. I used it at each wheel too but it didn't seem that accurate from front tire to back tire on the same side but I did see some difference from side to side in the TT. It was helpful when adding accessories to the rear bumper/frame also. I sold it on Ebay after I sold the TT. If a person was loading various trailers with different materials all the time I could see more value in having it on hand.

I guess I rented it for a year for $30.00

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
....here's a novel idea: use that money to...."go camping".

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You forgot an autoformer.

OH NO NO NO! That's stealing from all the other campers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You forgot an autoformer.

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
When we had our TT, the #2 was a Sherline tongue scale...Ron

Why a tongue scale? I know the approximate tongue weight and the capacity of the TV. What purpose does a tongue scale serve? Ignorance and curiosity is overriding my manners and bringing me dangerously close to hijacking the thread.

So, let me add that I would go with rope lighting under the TT on the patio side for ambiance.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for solar. About 200 watts will get you started.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Add one vote for the surge protector.

We love our new granite counters
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells