cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty Support From Wholesale Dealers

lighthousemantn
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the final stages of purchasing a new travel trailer and, in addition to local dealers, have gotten quotes from a few of the larger high volume "wholesale" dealers out of state. While I like to keep my business local, it seems like several thousand dollars can be saved from the big dealers. My sense is that when it comes to warranty support, it will be problematic to get that locally if the trailer was not purchased there. Has anyone had any experience in this regard or do you have a strong opinion one way or the other?
Thanks very much.
10 REPLIES 10

puravidadon
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased a couple of trailers from non-local dealers and have had no problem getting service. All in all the trailers really didn't have any major problems.

The one that I purchased in Oregon, the city water fill check valve blew out when I tested it in my driveway. I took it to a local dealer and they fixed the problem quickly. Now I always turn off my pump when I'm going to be away from the trailer. Helps too if there's a leak somewhere and you're not around. You won't empty the tank into the trailer that way.

The other trailer I bought in another province at a Boxing Week Blowout sale, had a couple issues with the brakes and slide. They were just poor electrical connections. I am an electrician and I was able to fix those myself.

I feel if you are at all handy fixing things it's easier to fix the problem yourself if you can. It takes less time to diagnose the problem and fix it than take it to a dealer.

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
My son in law and daughter bought their camper in Ohio to save around 6K after expenses to travel and bring it back. They had the control panel issue on the cougar. Local camper world serviced it and worked on few other warranty issues for them & In a very professional manner also.
Service dept works independent of the sales staff around here any way.
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
$4K on our hybrid and more on our new TT...and that was after travel expenses to pick up from RVW. Local guy should have a more realistic pricing. He thinks a 10% discount is darned near giving it to you. Wrong.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Still stick by my reference to service. Let's say you lived in OH and bought your trailer from either a local dealer or RVW. Now you move to TN and want service. Obviously you would not have purchased from the dealer in TN when you lived elsewhere. If that new local dealer tells you they will not service you because you bought elsewhere, they wouldn't get a second chance. They're going to get paid by someone, whether a warranty issue or perhaps you need brake/wheel bearing service. They're in business to sell and service....getting paid is what they're after. Granted, a local dealer may make the effort to work their own customers in first, but we've had no problem getting service from our local PITA dealer. We shopped them first and their prices on a Shamrock were ridiculous. They surely knew where our ROO came from, but no problem. Also used another independent dealer for wheel bearings the second year and they didn't care where it came from. If they want to be punative because you bought elsewhere, IMHO, that's a bad sign.

I agree and in my case it was $4k in savings. I'll take the money in my pocket anytime even if it means a couple of headaches or doing some work myself.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Still stick by my reference to service. Let's say you lived in OH and bought your trailer from either a local dealer or RVW. Now you move to TN and want service. Obviously you would not have purchased from the dealer in TN when you lived elsewhere. If that new local dealer tells you they will not service you because you bought elsewhere, they wouldn't get a second chance. They're going to get paid by someone, whether a warranty issue or perhaps you need brake/wheel bearing service. They're in business to sell and service....getting paid is what they're after. Granted, a local dealer may make the effort to work their own customers in first, but we've had no problem getting service from our local PITA dealer. We shopped them first and their prices on a Shamrock were ridiculous. They surely knew where our ROO came from, but no problem. Also used another independent dealer for wheel bearings the second year and they didn't care where it came from. If they want to be punative because you bought elsewhere, IMHO, that's a bad sign.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers are not contractually obligated to warranty unit they didn’t sell… RV service is like lawn mower service in that everyone needs service at the same (in season) time…

Comments like this are basically not true to partially true…

“Some local dealers will warn you that if you buy from one of the larger nationwide companies, they won't service your trailer....mostly just nonsense. Any good, reputable dealer will provide service. IMHO, if the dealer sticks to the game playing, I wouldn't be interested in dealing with them anyway. “

More correctly dealers will warn you that if you buy from one of the larger nationwide companies, they won't service your trailer.... this is mostly true for your local dealer that you bypassed on the buying end of the deal… he may agree to do the work as a fill in as time allows between his own customers…
As a buyer playing games with the dealer, then buying somewhere else and expecting the dealer you stiffed to not play the same game and now treat you like a loyal customer is wishful thinking for the most part…

But the truth be known some dealers out there are run by better men than some of the public they deal with, and will try to service you as quickly as possible… but if you bought foreign you have to remember, you do not deserve the same treatment that his own loyal customers, you shouldn’t expect it, and the dealer has no obligation to you as he does for someone that bought from him, and you shouldn’t treat him as if he does…

Any strong opinions,,, I would be very mad if my warranty work was delayed or waiting while warranty work from another local person who bought from a faraway dealer to save money was being serviced on anything but fill-in time…

OP make sure to seemingly thousands in savings don’t slip away between transportation cost, your local and state taxes or any hidden fees that are all inclusive on a local deal… on three attempts the real savings would have been rather small for me…
Also consider many of those deals are sight unseen purchase, not cancelable, and paid in full prior to delivery… it is equivalent to buying AS/IS with a questionably warranty…
On the slight chance there is a problem you own it regardless…

Your selling dealer should be the one doing your warranty work when you are home (mileage is immaterial here (just was it was during the purchase phase)), he should not be pushing the profit sucking work off on another dealer to give himself an unfair advantage in the pricing market ( that is exactly how he works)…

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27580085/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Can only address RV Wholesalers, where we bought both our HTT and our new TT this past spring. They have a network of dealers nationwide and can refer you. If by chance there is no one in-network that is close to you, they will work with another dealer as needed. With both of our Rockwood trailers, we've had no builder-specific issues. We had a recall on the refrig and although we did not buy from our local dealer, I called them per the information on the recall notice and it was in the next day and fixed within 15 minutes or so and we were out. If you feel strongly about an extended warranty, suggest you check into Good Sam/Camping World. Some local dealers will warn you that if you buy from one of the larger nationwide companies, they won't service your trailer....mostly just nonsense. Any good, reputable dealer will provide service. IMHO, if the dealer sticks to the game playing, I wouldn't be interested in dealing with them anyway.

2003 Ford F-150
Sam, you were the best!

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my previous and my current extended warranty from WholesaleWarranties.net. I have had a few claims, and had no problem with repairs or the claims. In fact, I found WW acted as an agent and helped me with the filing and follow through when I was confused on my first claim. Just remember, regardless of the warranty or who you purchase through, YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL THE RULES. You must get prior authorization for anything more than an emergency repair. Then you must notify the company immediately. Even the term emergency repair is very specific and has limits. You probably must have a licensed technician/mechanic/shop do the repair. You cannot bill for repairs you complete yourself. Many companies will require an inspector verify a major claim before the work in started.
I've followed the rules, and I have never had a problem.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
I did just that and have had no issues with getting service anywhere. If you have a Camping world near by they should do it too.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't gone this route but, from reading previous posts on the Forum, I know some have and will get work done from their local dealer.

I have little faith in warranties. Most trailers built today have the major construction features in pretty good order and a delamination of siding or failure of the chassis components would be the only time I'd be using a dealer for warranty issues. The little stuff I'm able to fix, myself. In fact, I'd rather fix it myself.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton