cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Availability - tools you can use

Dixie_Bushcraft
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so we ALL know about the "water thief.
And we all carry a freshwater hose so we can fill up when we get a chance. Right?

I have a suggestion for one more item that can open up your ability to get fresh water.

Lots of businesses have "Zurn" type water spigots.
Makes it difficult to get water even if they say "Go ahead" when you ask.

Go to Lowe's (or another retailer) and get a WATER KEY to keep in your camper.
http://www.sustainablesupply.com/SSC%20Images/C1290972_main-1.jpg

You won't regret the purchase.
"Life is a Highway.... And all I do is Drive, Drive, Drive."

Introduce youth to the Great Outdoors. Take a kid camping !!!

www.DixieBushcraft.com
Twitter me... @dixiebushcraft
Facebook... www.facebook.com/DixieBushcraft/
8 REPLIES 8

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one a long time. Camping World requires them if you dump there.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
I only put in 10-20 gallons using spring loaded faucets as they are normally along the campground narrow roads.

Thank you for responding and for being considerate. ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I only put in 10-20 gallons using spring loaded faucets as they are normally along the campground narrow roads.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
And for the spring off faucets, carry a Bungee cord about 12 inches long. Wrap it around post to hold faucet open.

Campgrounds with "spring off faucets" have them because they don't want you filling up an 80 or 100 gallon FW tank, as their well may not be able to support it.

Some USFS campgrounds use a solar pump and have a fresh water tank that is about 100-200 gallons that refills very slowly all day long. They have a spring-off faucet so people can fill a couple of 8 gallon Aquatainers, but if you fill a 100 gallon FW tank, you will drain the well tank and it will take a long time to refill. Those that come after you will get little or no water.

There are many design features built into campgrounds to modify behavior without having to post signs everywhere that say "Don't do this, don't do that." Cheating the system may work well for the first person that does it, but it impacts the others that come afterward.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Bushcraft wrote:
Okay, so we ALL know about the "water thief.
And we all carry a freshwater hose so we can fill up when we get a chance. Right?

I have a suggestion for one more item that can open up your ability to get fresh water.

Lots of businesses have "Zurn" type water spigots.
Makes it difficult to get water even if they say "Go ahead" when you ask.

Go to Lowe's (or another retailer) and get a WATER KEY to keep in your camper.

You won't regret the purchase.

Yes I carry one already.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one. Never though of using it camping. I was doing a special project for work and needed access to water at the site we were working at. Got it so we didn't have to keep asking their maintenance people for one when we needed to do leak testing. I've kept it in my truck since then. Thought it could come in handy again.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one last year. I have not used it yet but I'll have it when I need it.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
And for the spring off faucets, carry a Bungee cord about 12 inches long. Wrap it around post to hold faucet open.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker