cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wax residue won't come off! How to remove?

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
HELP! My wife and I cleaned up our trailer at the begining of the spring and at the end we waxed it.

First we used black streak remover that we got at the RV store. He said wash and wax afterwards or they will come back worse.

SO... we waxed it with NuBright, that stuff in the orange bottle you used to see peddled on TV.

Now in many places and the MOST on the large decals there's a nasty white film. I have tried many cleaners right up to Super Clean in the purple bottle, NO DICE.

It seems the haze/film/chalky feeling mess is a permanent part of the trailer! ACK!

What do I do? I do have a gasoline power washer if that might do it. Let me know!
19 REPLIES 19

trevoralexis
Explorer
Explorer

We have used McGuires on our trailer since we bought it in 2015.   It looks so good no one believes it’s really 9 years old.  

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III

It sounds to me like you have oxidation from the sun. No matter what you do to the camper if you don't buff it off it will look the same. This is the best kit on the market and I have used it many times as I used to do this for a living.  You can do it by hand but I highly recommend a buffer.  I recommend the cheapest random orbital you can find.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=polish+buffer+machine&crid=G1V9RGVAOBES&sprefix=polish+buffer%2Caps%2C108...

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Marine-Fiberglass-Restoration-System/dp/B0000AY4YT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1...

If you want to skip two steps then try this.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M6732-Marine-Step-Compound/dp/B00029CYRG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1D6ESXNUR1D...

Not sure if you're aware but this post is 10 years old.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

LOL, thank you

markdaniels
Explorer II
Explorer II

You can try using WD-40 to remove wax residue. Shake the WD-40 can well and spray a small amount directly onto the wax residue. Allow the WD-40 to sit on the wax for a few minutes to penetrate and soften it.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for Reliable RV cleaner. Wonderful stuff.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty sure my owners manual said not to wax over decals. That being said I used mcquires wax in the trailer and not the decals and it came out fine. Maybe you could try a clay bar and detailing spray on those spots

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
what the real name of the wax you used?
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mequire's cleaner wax should take care of it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give Rapid Prep a shot. I used to do vinyl graphics & that's what I used to prep surfaces. It will remove all wax residue.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sounds like the wax you used co-mingled with the paint on your camper, caused a chemical reaction and now it's permanently, actually part of the paint and will never come out.

Not much you can do if that's what happened, except .... buy a new camper. 🙂 (Hey, that ain't such a bad idea, is it?)

I've been dealing with waxes and paints for over 30 years, never heard of such a thing. However, I've seen plenty of improperly applied wax jobs that have symptoms similar to what the OP has stated...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
Put some Turtle Wax Ice on it and then use a buffer. . That should take it off!

I've done that before!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the wax you used co-mingled with the paint on your camper, caused a chemical reaction and now it's permanently, actually part of the paint and will never come out.

Not much you can do if that's what happened, except .... buy a new camper. 🙂 (Hey, that ain't such a bad idea, is it?)

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
If the wax used has petroleum distallates in it, then it will cause problems with most decals. Especially if the wax has any polishing/cleaners in it.

Sounds like you may have applied the wax too thick and simply didn't get it buffed it off complete after it hazed over.

I would try a little bit of alcohol based glass cleaner in a small spot and see if that cuts it enough for you. If not, then you may have to reapply your wax, making sure not to use too much, and making sure it is buffing off. I would suggest a small test patch to see if the results are what you are looking for.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow