cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wax residue won't come off! How to remove?

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
HELP! My wife and I cleaned up our trailer at the begining of the spring and at the end we waxed it.

First we used black streak remover that we got at the RV store. He said wash and wax afterwards or they will come back worse.

SO... we waxed it with NuBright, that stuff in the orange bottle you used to see peddled on TV.

Now in many places and the MOST on the large decals there's a nasty white film. I have tried many cleaners right up to Super Clean in the purple bottle, NO DICE.

It seems the haze/film/chalky feeling mess is a permanent part of the trailer! ACK!

What do I do? I do have a gasoline power washer if that might do it. Let me know!
19 REPLIES 19

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I have the same problem with wax and the vinyl boot stripe/name on my sailboat. Something about vinyl and wax just doesn't mix well.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
That nasty white chalky haze is likely caused by oxidation. Over time your paint or fiberglass finish gets microscopic pits in it, these nasty little pits are a great place for things to live, like waxes and polishes.

If the products that Frank suggest don't do the job, you may have to get into something that is a little more aggressive.

X2 on the Protectant 303 for a whole lot of things. Been using it for years on the dashboard, trim and the like on the the truck. Keeps stuff looking good for a long time.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
In the future, get rid of the products you're using and try some RV Glitter:

RV Glitter

and use the 303 on the decals, and you'll be good to go!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Try some 303 protectant, sold at Amazon. It will restore your decals back to where they were, hopefully.

303 LINK

2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Don't use a pressure washer - that will cause more problems and damage. And don't use any solvents.
I would try a different polish cleaner - I've been using Mcquires on all my graphics for years. I lightly apply it without rubbing it in too hard (otherwise you can see the color come off on the rag). It gently cleans them and leaves them shiny and bright.
After ten years they still look new.