cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We're looking and would appreciate help

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Sold the Minnie Winnie a while back and are now ready to get back in the game. We're looking for an 18-22 foot travel trailer and while price is important, we are most concerned with builder reputation and quality of build. Any input will be appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
13 REPLIES 13

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. I've owned a 34 foot Jayco Designer (5th Wheel) and a 30 foot Winnebago Minnie Winnie. Enjoyed both, especially the Minnie Winnie. I never knew how much I would enjoy the generator. Made roadside stops, overnights at WalMart, etc. great for road trips.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am a try before you buy guy. We thought we wanted a TT so we rented one similar to what we wanted. Quite and education. The dealer set it up so I new what I would need when we bought one.

It is the same with other details; generator, extra batteries, and all the other stuff people have are only useful if you need them. Our TT was fine as equipped by the factory because we usually camp at State Parks.

The Good Sam camping section of this website is good, or my wife goes on-line and types in "Campgrounds near such and such city".

TT camping is not for everyone and some techniques such as boondocking, or dry camping do require certain TT mods. No sense making them if you do not like towing a barn down the road.

Also remember that you will most likely; travel about 300 miles a day, get 10 mpg. drive 60 to 65 mph. and learn to park a TT.

Renting shows you all this stuff without a major purchase.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
Sold the Minnie Winnie a while back and are now ready to get back in the game. We're looking for an 18-22 foot travel trailer and while price is important, we are most concerned with builder reputation and quality of build. Any input will be appreciated.

We did the same thing. What a mistake. Wish I had my Class "C" back. Things were so much more convenient with the motorhome.

The TT is workable but much more trouble than the motorhome was. I've always said a trailer was good if you go somewhere and stay but a motorhome is better if you like to travel. I was right.

We had a 25' Fleetwood class C with a Wrangler toad. We now have an Open Range 216RBS that we pull with a Nissan Armada. No problem towing but the motorhome was a lot better for our purposes.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
eflyersteve wrote:

Did you order that with the dual chairs in place of the dinette or was that a modification you made? I am really liking the layout of that trailer.

The trailer came with a dinette by the window. We prefer the comfy recliners, so we removed the dinette and added the recliners. They are swivel rocking recliners, so it is easy to turn around to look out the window. We bought them at a local furniture store. We shopped for the smallest recliners we could find. The backs come off of the chairs, this helped with getting them through the door. We have a small folding table that we use when eating inside.

We made several other modifications such as solar panels, two AGM 6 volt batteries, inverter, fantastic fan. They have all been nice additions.

We've been on 13 camping trips since buying the trailer last year. We have not experienced any problems.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
MikeInOregon wrote:
We have been happy with our Creekside 20FQ made by Outdoors RV.

Did you order that with the dual chairs in place of the dinette or was that a modification you made? I am really liking the layout of that trailer.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Hi PatRenee...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! We are in Crystal Beach, about 8 miles east of the Galveston Ferry. I will definitely check out Tyler RV. Have A GREAT week-end!
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
Mike I see you are from Texas.... welcome...... here is a link to a review I wrote on Tyler RV in Tyler Texas... not sure where you are but these guys are awesome...... I have referred 2 other people there that are happy as well.... they beat everyone in the country on my price and their service is phenomenal.... I highly recommend them.... Also Open Range TT is what we bought..... we looked at all brands but when we first went in an Open Range the feel was incredibly different..... it just fells better.. they are 4 season ... have 2 year warranty... and are a great MFG....go to their forum and hear from owners....

http://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16197

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two Outdoors Creekside trailers and both have been very good to us. They are made in Oregon and have exceptional customer service. We had our first one in the snow in Wyoming in February. We slept cozy with no problems.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Hi MikeIn Orgeon...such great information! Such information I probably would not have found on my own. Have a GREAT week-end!
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
We have been happy with our Creekside 20FQ made by Outdoors RV. It is a 20 foot trailer, just the size you are looking for. We really like that the bedroom is in the front with the kitchen and bathroom in the middle which provides separation from the living room area in the back. Many small and mid-size trailers feel like a studio apartment, the Creekside feels like a one bedroom apartment. Also, the large rear window is great. This is a picture from a recent camping trip in central Oregon.

2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS to djsamuel and gmw photos for your input! I've looked at the Camplite website and really like what I've seen. When we began looking recently, there were so many manufacturers I am not familiar with. I do expect to do some modifications. Just want to start off with something well built and worth modifying.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
There is likely at least some truth to the idea that most of what you'll find available in the market has the potential for some build quality issues.

My take on the whole thing is to find a floorplan that will work for you, then do a close inspection of the trailer to see if you feel the quality is there or not.
Expect that whatever you buy, you may end up doing some mods and fixes yourself to get it up to the level you want it to be. All part of the fun.

"some assembly required".

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
While not the cheapest, our Camplite has been outstanding since we got the initial bugs worked out. It is built like a rock and has proven to be extremely durable. It just keeps on working over the last 3 years; going as far as Arizona and Utah from Florida. Their largest are the 21RBS and 21BHS. 21 ' box, 24' bumper to hitch. Light and they tow great.

Camplite Travel Trailers

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle