cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distributing Hitches

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded from a 24 foot travel trailer to a 33 foot travel trailer this summer. We are towing with a Ford F150 with Eco Boost engine. The truck is rated to tow up to 9600 and our TT is 6500 so we are good on weight. We moved our weight distributing hitch from the 24' to the 33', it is just a basic hitch with chains to distribute weight and a swaybar controller on the right side.

I am not a super experienced driver and so definitely take it easy, we started with a few short local trips this summer and the truck tows it easily but I find in windy weather or at highway speeds I feel more movement than I'm comfortable with.

I am considering upgrading to an Equil-i-zer Hitch and wondering what experience everyone has and what types of sway control you are using. They are an expense and I want to make the right choice as there are several different types.

This is the one that was recommended by a friend and what we are considering:
Equil-i-zer Hitch @ Hitchsourcehttp://www.hitchsource.com/equalizer-hitch-and-shank-12000lbs-p-27361.html
78 REPLIES 78

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I heard about a guy towing a big old trailer with a IHC Scout with much the same results. He was not using a modern pickup with a well engineered hitch matched to a reasonable weight and length trailer. Those of us who have the latter setup do very well.

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who used to pull a 24' enclosed trailer loaded with 2-mini dragsters, air compressor, couple of tool boxes, assorted spare parts and tires, add on cabinets, a small refrigerator, and a golf cart with a Chevy Blazer--no WD/anti-sway hitch.

He did, that is, until one trip when he was following his wife and 2 sons who were in the Blazer pulling the trailer, (he was in his pickup with a slide in camper) coming of the mountain south of Jellico Tennessee on I-75. As he put it he saw both sides of the trailer several times. Luckily, no one was hurt and she was able to get it under control. (She drove the pickup the rest of the trip and made him drive the Blazer)

He swears the trailer was within the Blazer's limits and they had probably made that trip 5-6 times with no incidents. But that one time was enough to make sure there wasn't another one.

Take it for what it's worth...
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let the weight police or the hitch promoters determine your wants and needs. I tow a 30 trailer very nicely without the need for an expensive hitch. Get your actual weights, post them if you want some solid advice, and go from there. "If" you need a multi-thousand dollar hitch, then maybe you have the wrong combination to start with?

Gazzer
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go with the Hensley or Pro Pride which is the next generation Hensley, it will be money well spent toward the most important aspect of your RVing experience and that is the safety of yourself, passengers and others on the road. The Equalizer brand hitch is a pretty good hitch, but it is only a "way control" hitch, NOT a "sway elimination" hitch like the Hensley and Pro Pride are. I tow a 33 ft TT with a Ram 2500 CTD and originally had the Equalizer. After a road trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and still feeling when big trucks pass and when I would pass them and also side wind shifts and ultimately one white knuckle experience, I researched and purchased the Pro Pride 3P system. I have since towed enough to compare the difference and I will tell you that with the new hitch, the TT tracks like it is on rails and I no longer even feel when big rigs pass or when I pass them. Before anyone says that my equalizer would do the same if it was set up properly, it WAS set up properly and there is NO comparison between a "sway control" hitch and a "sway elimination" hitch when it comes to peace of mind in keeping your precious cargo safe! To me, avoiding just one white knuckle experience that could lead to a deathly situation is worth every single $$ that you invest. Good luck to you in your decision but I hope this helps!

Cheers,

-Gaz

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Verify the GVWR and payload from the stickers on your driver door pillar.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
TriciaR1970 wrote:
Thanks again - one last question - a WD hitch actually reduces tongue weight does it not?

No. The only way to reduce tongue weight is to shift your cargo around. The tongue will weigh what it weighs. If the tongue weighs, for example, 1,000 lbs. without a WDH it will still weigh 1,000 lbs with one.

The WDH will shift part of the downward force created by the weight of the tongue on the receiver back to the TT axles and forward to the front axles of the tow vehicle.

There’s a pretty involved discussion about this going on here http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27430013.cfm
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again - one last question - a WD hitch actually reduces tongue weight does it not?

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
TriciaR1970 wrote:
Find these weights:

Truck GVWR - 8200 Max Payload - 2390

GVWR will not change whether vehicle is 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive, with or without tow package, etc.

The actual weight of the vehicle will change, depending on options / accessories added by the manufacturer, dealer, or customer.

Max payload is based on a stripped down 2 wheel drive. Anything added to vehicle weight, will decrease available payload, pound for pound.

Truck GCWR - 15400 (not sure what this one means?)

This is max weight for truck and trailer combined.

Truck actual weight - would this be with cargo? In our case 2 adults, 2 large dogs (soon to be 3) and a 300lb wheelchair and lift Approx 1100 additional allowing for additional dog and weight of the lift and wheelchair.

Scale weight with full fuel, cargo and passengers, would be best. Subtract that weight from GVWR (8200). What you have left is available payload for WD hitch and tongue weight.

So if you take the 2390 max payload and subtract the 1100 of us/dogs/wc that leaves 1290 for tongue weight (am I doing this right?)

No. You are assuming you still have the 2390 max payload available. Your tow package took some of that. Any other options / accessories added by you, the dealer, or Ford, took some of that. The WD hitch will take 100 lbs of that.

Trailer gross weight (UVW plus cargo capacity)6544 unloaded and Max Cargo weight of 2408

That adds up to 8352 gross weight for trailer.

So if the trailer was at max capacity (which it will not be as we are light packers and never travel with tanks full) the tongue weight for this trailer should still be under the available payload I have - correct?

Only you, can answer that. After you know what your actual weight and available payload is.

Anyway thank you for making me do this exercise it has made me a bit more confident that my truck can in fact handle this camper.

You may, or may not, have a false sense of security. You'll know more when you have actual weights to work with. Average camping load (dishes, pots and pans, bedding, tools, spare parts, fishing gear, groceries, water, chairs, etc) is about 1000 lbs. It adds up fast. Loaded for camping, your trailer will be about 7500 lbs. Your tongue weight will be about 900 lbs. We should all do this exercise. I was surprised when I did mine.

I am inquiring about a re manufactured Hensley hitch right now. I don't mind paying a bit more for safety and ease of use. And since my current hitch is extremely heavy and anything heavier duty will be well heavier I love that the hitch stays with the camper and not the truck.

This thread has been super informative and I had never even heard of the Hensley Arrow Hitch so thank you all so much for your time, your consideration and your vast knowledge! Will have to let you know what we end up with.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
do take a look at your tires on your truck.... I have a F150 with max tow package and integrated trailer brake, so you would think they would use appropriate tires for towing.... NOPE.. My truck has P tires.. with a very soft sidewall... gives me a squishy/squirrelly feeling if I don't put extra air in the tires.. Gives me a nice comfy ride for everyday... much smoother than my previous truck... however, I am going to put LT (light truck) tires on it, when I replace in a few more miles.. it will make daily ride a bit rougher, but I understand it will be much better when I am towing. I have talked to an RV safety instructor about the situation and several tire folks and determined that making that change is sufficient for situation. I have 2010 F150 pulling a 28ft trailer that is 5200 lbs empty (I know it is more loaded, I just haven't had the chance to get it weighed loaded and am cautious of the weight of stuff I load).
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
Are you getting these numbers from your door pillar or a brochure?

"Truck GVWR - 8200 Max Payload - 2390"

I don't think Ford makes the above configuration with a 9,600lb tow rating and 15,400 gross combined rating.

Was getting it from the Ford Website based on the window sticker from the truck.

F150 Super Cap 4x4 3.5L V6 Ecoboost 3:73 gearing ratio with HD Tow package

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Are you getting these numbers from your door pillar or a brochure?

"Truck GVWR - 8200 Max Payload - 2390"

I don't think Ford makes the above configuration with a 9,600lb tow rating and 15,400 gross combined rating.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

In my opinion, you can hardly go wrong with a used Hensley hitch and that would give you an excellent towing system for your truck/trailer combination.
Barney

Thank you Barney! I appreciate your input. I really am leaning toward the remanufactured from Hensley now as I like what I see and what I'm hearing about them. Will see what kind of pricing they come up with and I may have to find a way to make it work. Adding the safety and the ease of hitching together it seems like a huge win.

I am hoping that my dad would be able to install for me. He moved my current WD hitch from my old camper to this one. He's pretty handy but I don't want to buy the used one and have to ask him to recondition it so I'll get one that has that already done. 🙂

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Find these weights:

Truck GVWR - 8200 Max Payload - 2390
Truck GCWR - 15400 (not sure what this one means?)
Truck actual weight - would this be with cargo? In our case 2 adults, 2 large dogs (soon to be 3) and a 300lb wheelchair and lift Approx 1100 additional allowing for additional dog and weight of the lift and wheelchair.

So if you take the 2390 max payload and subtract the 1100 of us/dogs/wc that leaves 1290 for tongue weight (am I doing this right?)

Trailer gross weight (UVW plus cargo capacity)6544 unloaded and Max Cargo weight of 2408

So if the trailer was at max capacity (which it will not be as we are light packers and never travel with tanks full) the tongue weight for this trailer should still be under the available payload I have - correct?

Anyway thank you for making me do this exercise it has made me a bit more confident that my truck can in fact handle this camper.

I am inquiring about a re manufactured Hensley hitch right now. I don't mind paying a bit more for safety and ease of use. And since my current hitch is extremely heavy and anything heavier duty will be well heavier I love that the hitch stays with the camper and not the truck.

This thread has been super informative and I had never even heard of the Hensley Arrow Hitch so thank you all so much for your time, your consideration and your vast knowledge! Will have to let you know what we end up with.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the others that a Hensley hitch would probably be perfect for your situation. For one thing, the only part that needs lifting is the stinger which is relatively light compared to the hitch head/drawbar combination of most standard type hitches. This is important to me and may be a consideration in your case.

Here is a used one for sale. Even with shipping it should be cheap enough to make it a bargain. Who knows, maybe offer $750 or less and see what happens.

Although the picture looks kind of rough, they are easily painted and/or reconditioned. I did mine a couple of years ago and posted about it here, complete with pictures as the job went along.

In my opinion, you can hardly go wrong with a used Hensley hitch and that would give you an excellent towing system for your truck/trailer combination.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
TriciaR1970 wrote:

Wow just watched the video and now I really want the Hensley Arrow but at $2500+ price point I may not be able to swing that. I love that the hitch stays intact and mounted to the trailer too so no super heavy pieces for me to lift and heft around. Will have to see if I can come up with the cash as it really does seem like a great system.

Don't even consider anything else. It's all about safety and enjoying your travels.

Hensley or Pro Pride....... There is no substitute or option for that size of trailer.