cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch with F350?

Battery
Explorer
Explorer
Posted this in the TV forum but thought it might be better here.

I have a 2011 Jayco 29BHS. I used a Weight Distribution hitch of course. Will I still need it when my F350 diesel gets here?

Thanks
2015 F350 Diesel
2010 F150 Lariat Crew 4 X 4
2011 29BHS Jayco Jay Flight G2
34 REPLIES 34

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
According to 2014 Ford Towing Guide on page 25:

The maximum allowable tongue weight for an F-350 ranges from 600-850# for a weight-carrying hitch.
When using a weight-distributing hitch, the maximum allowable tongue weight ranges from 1250-1850#.

When using a weight-distributing hitch, the Ford 2015 SUPER DUTY Owner's Manual specifies the WDH should be adjusted to eliminate about one-half of the front-end rise -- regardless of gasoline or diesel engine.

Depending on TV wheelbase and rear-overhang, a 1000# tongue weight might remove 400-450# from the front axle.
For a 1000# TW, Ford's WDH-adjustment spec implies the WDH should be adjusted to restore about 200-225# to the front axle.

Ron

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dodge 3500, and 1100lb hitch weight on my trailer. i use the WDH if i am towing more than say 10-15 miles. I like how it rides with the WD hitch. I also have airbags on the back and that made a huge difference in ride quality !!

have fun pulling with a Diesel, you'll never pull again with a gasser
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

Battery
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone
2015 F350 Diesel
2010 F150 Lariat Crew 4 X 4
2011 29BHS Jayco Jay Flight G2

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
A F-350 diesel has plenty of front end weight and can stand to lose some. The front end stays on the ground with gasoline powered pickups, doesn't it? If the weight of Uncle Bob on or off the front axle makes it unsafe, you should have purchased a Chevy. Sway control is a whole different story and if you have a swayer, you need help.

Bingo.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
...snip.... We're talking about nearly half a ton and what the trucks manufacturer says it needs.
Think about it, a truck is not designed to carry all its load on the back bumper. It's built to carry most of the load in the bed where both axles play a part.

GM says that their 2500 and 3500 series pickups are good with a thousand pounds on the rear hitch and my experience confirms this. How much does that remove from the front axle? Not enough to notice. It "might" be a factor on half ton or smaller pickups, but that is not what the OP purchased.

x2
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
...snip.... We're talking about nearly half a ton and what the trucks manufacturer says it needs.
Think about it, a truck is not designed to carry all its load on the back bumper. It's built to carry most of the load in the bed where both axles play a part.

GM says that their 2500 and 3500 series pickups are good with a thousand pounds on the rear hitch and my experience confirms this. How much does that remove from the front axle? Not enough to notice. It "might" be a factor on half ton or smaller pickups, but that is not what the OP purchased.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Charles2222 wrote:
That mean every time I haul 100lbs of soil in the rear of the truck I need a wdh?Think not!

Good point. These folks that think a modern full sized pickup is going to become unstable from the addition or subtraction of a couple hundred pounds are from "The sky is falling" network.

Please explain how you can hook up a WDH to a load of dirt in the back of a truck.

And nobody said anything about a "couple hundred pounds". We're talking about nearly half a ton and what the trucks manufacturer says it needs.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Charles2222 wrote:
That mean every time I haul 100lbs of soil in the rear of the truck I need a wdh?Think not!

Good point. These folks that think a modern full sized pickup is going to become unstable from the addition or subtraction of a couple hundred pounds are from "The sky is falling" network.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
A F-350 diesel has plenty of front end weight and can stand to lose some. The front end stays on the ground with gasoline powered pickups, doesn't it? If the weight of Uncle Bob on or off the front axle makes it unsafe, you should have purchased a Chevy. Sway control is a whole different story and if you have a swayer, you need help.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW
My trailer with a 1400# tongue weight only raised my HD 3/4 inch as well and I thought I was good based on those measurements. However, what I learned from the CAT scale was that I was only transferring 200# back to the front and the truck handled horribly.
Not saying you need WD or not, just saying the fender measurement method isn't always fool proof.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
StewB wrote:
I just brought my 26ft RLS (7900 lb gross)Okanagan bumper pull home from storage with my new to me 2011 F350 SRW 4x4 CC long box. I checked the hitched and unhitched height of the wheel well as per Ford manual. The front only went up 3/4 of an inch with the trailer hookded up. The back only went down 1 1/2 inches.
Can't see much point in trying to redistribute that weight???

Lifting the front of your heavy truck that much suggest to me that you need a WDH.
You need to find out your actual tongue weight and then consult with you manual. It probably says the tongue weight without WDH cannot exceed 500 or 750#.

It only lifted 3/4". I should also note my truck has a camper package and a 10,800 GVW package. Ford says return front height to half of raised amount. Would not take much tension on the chains do that.

Also, my trailer had everything in it except food. So I don't expect much diferance when we head out to camp.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you will not do with that rig is raise the front end of a F350 diesel.

Don't even try to compress the front end of a HD truck! I use WDH but on the lowest links and then of course the friction sway control

When I tried to compress the front end the truck fought me and the handling was terrible. There is a 1000lb engine plus a 400lb tranny up front with a suspension to hold it all up, last thing you want to do is try to force it down. You drop 1000lbs on the hitch and the truck will hardly notice it. Have 900lbs on my hitch, the truck hardly moves when I set it down.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charles2222 wrote:

No! That is NOT what it means.:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
StewB wrote:
I just brought my 26ft RLS (7900 lb gross)Okanagan bumper pull home from storage with my new to me 2011 F350 SRW 4x4 CC long box. I checked the hitched and unhitched height of the wheel well as per Ford manual. The front only went up 3/4 of an inch with the trailer hookded up. The back only went down 1 1/2 inches.
Can't see much point in trying to redistribute that weight???

Lifting the front of your heavy truck that much suggest to me that you need a WDH.
You need to find out your actual tongue weight and then consult with you manual. It probably says the tongue weight without WDH cannot exceed 500 or 750#.