cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight of travel trailer

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
What is the ideal weight of a travel trailer you can pull with a F-150 4x4 Ford with towing package??
28 REPLIES 28

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like her F150 has the power however her most important performance is does the truck have the tire/wheel/rear suspension to carry her load (the hitch...trailers hitch weight...gear in the bed and back of the cab).
For newbs I would have her drop by a local CAT scale with the trailer in tow and get the trucks front and rear separate axle weights. This will tell her if her F150 has overloaded axles/tires/ rear suspension.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the trailer the daughter got is just under 8000 lbs. Loaded I bet it's a little more.
But that Ford pickup 4x4 can tow that thing with no problem at all.
Where her house is there is a concrete drive that is more of a climb than she will ever encounter on any highway. She drops it in D-2 and goes up there with no problem at all.
There is a gravel drive around the field also if she goes in either way she don't have to turn around.
The second time she took it up to her house, she went up the gravel drive. She said she stopped about half way up and it spun in the gravel when she stared to go on up. She said she just put in the 4 wheel drive and went right up with no spinning in the gravel at all, She even backed it in beside her garage. She is really proud of her self. She even made a trip to Branson ,MO. with her 2 sisters was able to pass every thing but a gas station.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Timmo! wrote:
I pull my 20' Nash 19B trailer with my F150 (see signature) and I have no problem pulling it, except going up inclines greater than 6%. On those occasions, max speed is 25 mph and I monitor the tranny temp.

The GVWR for my Nash is 7000 lbs with a carrying weight of about half that, and a hitch weight of around 350 lbs.

The GVWR for Transcend Grand Design 30' is almost 10,000 lbs with a carrying weight of 7820 lbs, and a hitch weight of 780 lbs (2x my Nash).

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/travel-trailer/transcend-xplor/floorplans/30rbs

My F150 has a maximum towing capacity of 9300 lbs, with a payload of 1670 (or about 1300 lbs after trailer is hitched).

Assuming your daughter's F150 has a payload of 1670, then once she hitches the trailer, her payload will be less than 1000 lbs. Add a few riders in the cab, camping gear in the truck bed and full tank of gas--and poof, your at the maximum.

But the trailer you posted is almost 35โ€™ and your truck is 16 years older and your trailer much smaller and lighter so not sure what comparison youโ€™re trying to make.

Just sharing my experiences.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Timmo! wrote:
I pull my 20' Nash 19B trailer with my F150 (see signature) and I have no problem pulling it, except going up inclines greater than 6%. On those occasions, max speed is 25 mph and I monitor the tranny temp.

The GVWR for my Nash is 7000 lbs with a carrying weight of about half that, and a hitch weight of around 350 lbs.

The GVWR for Transcend Grand Design 30' is almost 10,000 lbs with a carrying weight of 7820 lbs, and a hitch weight of 780 lbs (2x my Nash).

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/travel-trailer/transcend-xplor/floorplans/30rbs

My F150 has a maximum towing capacity of 9300 lbs, with a payload of 1670 (or about 1300 lbs after trailer is hitched).

Assuming your daughter's F150 has a payload of 1670, then once she hitches the trailer, her payload will be less than 1000 lbs. Add a few riders in the cab, camping gear in the truck bed and full tank of gas--and poof, your at the maximum.

But the trailer you posted is almost 35โ€™ and your truck is 16 years older and your trailer much smaller and lighter so not sure what comparison youโ€™re trying to make.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
egh33 wrote:
It's a Transcend Grand Design 30' I forgot the weight already.
Can have more info when she comes up to see us next week end.

No matter what F150 she has. That is gong to be pushing it. 8000lb dry
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timmo! wrote:
Add a few riders in the cab, camping gear in the truck bed and full tank of gas--and poof, your at the maximum.

SAE std that the OEMs all work to, weight of two 150lb people and full fluids are already included.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
egh33 wrote:

:E
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

egh33
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
capacitor wrote:
What did Ford tell her and what trailer did she get?

For whatever reason, OP asked a very specific question with very generic info given and has yet to provide any meaningful content as to how the truck is built.
This thread is done. Shouldnโ€™t matter to us since it doesnโ€™t matter to the person who asked the question.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
What did Ford tell her and what trailer did she get?

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Encourage her to use a WDH with sway control.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... well that still leaves us in the dark but lets just hope the dealership folks knows something about real world tow and haul weights for her particular F150.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's.
Now I need to tell you why I was checking information
the truck belongs to my daughter. I told her to go to the dealership where she bought the truck and let them tell her all about it. She did as I told her, what a surprise. She got her a trailer today. She does know how to pull a trailer. So I think she will do OK. Thanks again.
She drove our Motor home quite often.